ROSS vs. Antigua's medical school AUA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
That post was from 2010. In 2010 AUA wasn't accredited in all 50 states

Did you go to AUA?

Members don't see this ad.

Did you go to AUA?
No I do not, I'm still in undergrad but am trying to gather as much reliable info as I can pertaining to several Caribbean schools, AUA included.

Reactions: 1 user
No I do not, I'm still in undergrad but am trying to gather as much reliable info as I can pertaining to several Caribbean schools, AUA included.

oh, ok. What do you think about that school? Please tell me pros and cons based on your research. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
I will PM you
Hey Kyle,
Would you be kind enough to PM me the pros and cons as well based on your research please?
I am getting ready to apply as well because my mcat score was low.

also if you have any more info on DO schools that take low mcats, that would be much appreciated as well.
Gratitude.

Something I noticed. Go back to AUA match list for 2014...search both Surgery matches as well as their Plastic Surgery match. You will see LSU - New Orleans as a matched hospital. My assumptions is that these residents should be listed on hospital website as pgy1 or interns. I couldn't find them.

Link:

https://www.medschool.lsuhsc.edu/surgery/meet_the_residents.aspx

Didn't bother to confirm any other matches but at a first/basic glance that sounds quite fishy to me.

Something I noticed. Go back to AUA match list for 2014...search both Surgery matches as well as their Plastic Surgery match. You will see LSU - New Orleans as a matched hospital. My assumptions is that these residents should be listed on hospital website as pgy1 or interns. I couldn't find them.

Link:

https://www.medschool.lsuhsc.edu/surgery/meet_the_residents.aspx

Didn't bother to confirm any other matches but at a first/basic glance that sounds quite fishy to me.

Isn't it illegal for them to lie?

haha yeah i agree i should know more than that. but what i know is that the school puts up accurate list but you never know if lost of people dropped out before even taking the usmle step 1 etc...but from my knowledge the match list is accurate for every school.

Anyone can lie about anything they want. When businesses lie, that's "false advertising" and there are legal safeguards. But these foreign schools are not in the US, and hence what can be done would depend upon the laws in those countries. Sometimes you can enforce US laws on foreign companies if they do business in the US. If the entire match list is fabricated, you might have a case. if a single entry is incorrect, not so much. Plus the school might simply argue that they ask their students where they are going and take their responses at face value.

In any case, there may be nothing fishy here. AUA's list includes both "General Surgery" and "Surgery". The LSU is listed as "Surgery". If we assume that's a euphemism for Prelim Surgery, on LSU's website there's someone listed as going to medical school at: "LSU School of Medicine, St. George, Antigua and Barbuda". That's probably a typo and it's AUA. The plastics program lists names but no schools, but I can check in the NRMP system and one of their residents is an AUA grad. So I think they are being honest.

Anyone can lie about anything they want. When businesses lie, that's "false advertising" and there are legal safeguards. But these foreign schools are not in the US, and hence what can be done would depend upon the laws in those countries. Sometimes you can enforce US laws on foreign companies if they do business in the US. If the entire match list is fabricated, you might have a case. if a single entry is incorrect, not so much. Plus the school might simply argue that they ask their students where they are going and take their responses at face value.

In any case, there may be nothing fishy here. AUA's list includes both "General Surgery" and "Surgery". The LSU is listed as "Surgery". If we assume that's a euphemism for Prelim Surgery, on LSU's website there's someone listed as going to medical school at: "LSU School of Medicine, St. George, Antigua and Barbuda". That's probably a typo and it's AUA. The plastics program lists names but no schools, but I can check in the NRMP system and one of their residents is an AUA grad. So I think they are being honest.

I did a little extra investigating/creeping and based on the link I provided. The residents that have no medical school listed under the current plastics residents are AMGs not IMG/FMG. There are only 2 not listing schools a simple google search can tell you where they come from. Also the other surgery intern (prelim) isn't listed either. The only 2 I bothered to search I will admit (cus honestly I don't care too much).

Hey Kyle,
Would you be kind enough to PM me the pros and cons as well based on your research please?
I am getting ready to apply as well because my mcat score was low.

also if you have any more info on DO schools that take low mcats, that would be much appreciated as well.
Gratitude.
Just retake your MCAT and apply DO. No need to go Carib, EVER!