Rotations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Flint

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I am new to this board. I must say that I have enjoyed this website, moreso than TPR.

I have a question about Rotations. Can Rotations be done anywhere as long as there is a Medical School associated with the Hospital. I ask this because I will be attending school out of state, leaving my family behind. I am wondering if I can return to my home state to do my Rotations and finish Medical School

Members don't see this ad.

I am assuming that your want to go back to Flint, or somewhere in Michigan, close to your family. Where are you going to go to school? To answer your question, "NO". You will do rotations as stated by your medical-school. You can't go out and set-up your last 2 years with 'any' hospital of your choosing. Currently, as far as I understand, (I am from MI), the only DO schools that provide clinical rotations in MI are MSU-COM (obviously), and KCOM. KCOM is in Missouri, but provides 2 year clinical sites in several states (AZ, MO, OH, IL, MI, CO, NY), 1 of which is MI. KCOM provides Flint, and several other hospitals in and around Detroit as further rotation sites. But, at KCOM, you have to take part in a lottery, as well at MSU-COM, something similar to 'the Match' for residency/internship. Nothing is 100% guaranteed. Since MSU-COM and KCOM are the only schools offering 2 full-year clinical rotations in MI, you would have a hard time coming back to MI for your last 2 years of med-school. However, you will probably be able to set-up a 'few' sub-specialty rotations of your choosing in MI. Each school operates differently, but most allow students to take a few outside rotations. Good luck! You could also transfer to either KCOM or MSU-COM, but that would be highly unlikely!

I am a idiot!!!!!! Whoops, after responding to FLINTS question, I realized that was your user-name, I assumed that you were from Flint, Michigan. Scratch all the crap I stated about rotations in MI. Still, you will NOT be able to necessarily go back to your home state and do 2 years of rotations. Your medical school most likely has rotations in and around the city that the school is located again. Sorry about my confusion!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
YES YOU ARE. Thankfully you realize this.

Misery loves company, doesn't it dogboy?