Rotations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sparda29

En Taro Adun
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
In pharmacy school rotations, are you required to dress up or do you just show up like how you show up for lectures?

Members don't see this ad.

In pharmacy school rotations, are you required to dress up or do you just show up like how you show up for lectures?

Depends on the rotation. The majority that I've been on required professional dress, but there are some exceptions. Some hospitals have had me change into scrubs when I got there, so it didn't really matter what I wore to begin with.

It's always a good idea to check beforehand though, you don't want to end up being "that guy." When in doubt, wear a tie.

na, I just throw on some FUBU jeans, a jersey and a pair of timberlands and off to work I go.

Members don't see this ad :)
It can't hurt to wear a pair of slacks and a collared shirt. When in doubt wear business casual, you don't want to be "that guy in a tie" either.

You're such an idiot for asking such a question.

Business casual for most rotations. Jeans are pretty much never acceptable. I think you are male, right? Then you have it really easy. Wear a nice polo shirt and nice pants and you are covered for pretty much anything retail or hospital or research/academic. Now, if you have something like LTC facility, jeans may be OK, but I would still suggest dressing as above and then on your first day you would see how everyone else dresses. If you have a managed care rotation or an administrative rotation, a buttoned shirt and nice trousers would be a better option.

But the easiest thing, of course, is to call and ask. It's simply a good idea to contact your preceptor about a week before the start of the rotation and ask when/where to show up, what to wear, what to bring with you, etc. For out-of-town rotations it's simply a necessity. A lot of preceptors will proactively contact students about a week or two before the rotation starts and let them know what's expected.

personally i wear my trucker hat and my tuxedo T-shirt (that way they see I'm formal and a fun person at the same time). theres nothing like making a good first impression