Rough first semester of college

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futurevet_11

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm currently a freshman at UF and I wasn't fully prepared for the change of pace college had. My study habits aren't great and that's been something I've been struggling to change. Hopefully, I'll manage to actually pass my pre-calculus class (barely - probably) and have a A- or a high B in intro to chemistry because I really slacked off in this class. The rest of my classes will be A's but I'm worried that because I didn't do well in these easier classes that I'll struggle in the future classes and it will hurt my GPA.

Members don't see this ad.

So I'm currently a freshman at UF and I wasn't fully prepared for the change of pace college had. My study habits aren't great and that's been something I've been struggling to change. Hopefully, I'll manage to actually pass my pre-calculus class (barely - probably) and have a A- or a high B in intro to chemistry because I really slacked off in this class. The rest of my classes will be A's but I'm worried that because I didn't do well in these easier classes that I'll struggle in the future classes and it will hurt my GPA.

First off, an A- or B+ is absolutely nothing to worry about, especially if the rest of your grades are As. That is not struggling, as much as you think it might be. That is actually quite excellent. When you say "barely pass" pre-calc, do you mean literally barely pass it (as in D- territory) or what a lot of pre-vets think of as "barely passing" (i.e. a C or higher).

Have you identified specifically which study habits you want to change? That's the hardest part.

Right now I have a D+ in the class, but I'm hoping to squeeze by with a C.

First off, an A- or B+ is absolutely nothing to worry about, especially if the rest of your grades are As. That is not struggling, as much as you think it might be. That is actually quite excellent. When you say "barely pass" pre-calc, do you mean literally barely pass it (as in D- territory) or what a lot of pre-vets think of as "barely passing" (i.e. a C or higher).

Have you identified specifically which study habits you want to change? That's the hardest part.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok. Well first off, a C is not "barely passing". A C is average.

When you say your study habits aren't great, what exactly do you mean? What are the specific behaviors you want to address?

Ok. Well first off, a C is not "barely passing". A C is average.

When you say your study habits aren't great, what exactly do you mean? What are the specific behaviors you want to address?

The thing is, I don't really know how to study, so that's something I'm trying to figure out all together. One of the major things I need to do is review the material/build of material more frequently.

I did not know a C was average...failing is below a C.

Have you been to office hours, tried a study group, lots of undergrad institutions also have tutoring, really tried alternate methods? One or more of these may help you.

The thing is, I don't really know how to study, so that's something I'm trying to figure out all together. One of the major things I need to do is review the material/build of material more frequently.

I did not know a C was average...failing is below a C.
Failing is an F. Below a C you have a D grade. While I wouldn't recommend trying to get a D, that isn't a failing grade. It just won't be accepted for pre-reqs.