rounds with gen surgery team before subspecialty clinic?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

epsilonprodigy

Physicist Enough
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
As with most schools, we have 6 weeks of general surgery plus two weeks of off-service subspecialty. My subspecialty time is primarily at an off-campus practice, which is fairly close to the university hospital where the rest of my rotation is.

I'm now on subspecialty after 4 weeks of gen surg. This means I'll have only two weeks back on service before we wrap up. This creates a problem: I SUCK at presenting, which I was told in no uncertain terms during my mid-rotation evaluation (and frankly, I have to agree.) My attending basically told me that he can see I'm smart, that I'm doing a great job identifying what's going on with my patients and he thinks my work ethic is great, but the way I organize and present information needs serious work. I've really been working on this, but because my attending has been on vacation for two of the weeks I've actually been on general surgery, we've had very little face time- this means I'll have very little time to turn things around and show him that I'm progressing. This is important, because he's one of the muckety-mucks at my school, and I'm very interested in surgery.

Since I need more chances to try to impress this attending, and more practice presenting, I am thinking of seeing if I can show up to pre-round and do morning rounds with the general surgery team, and then head to the subspecialty clinic afterward. Luckily, timing and geography allow this- the question is, would it send the right message?

Members don't see this ad.

As with most schools, we have 6 weeks of general surgery plus two weeks of off-service subspecialty. My subspecialty time is primarily at an off-campus practice, which is fairly close to the university hospital where the rest of my rotation is.

I'm now on subspecialty after 4 weeks of gen surg. This means I'll have only two weeks back on service before we wrap up. This creates a problem: I SUCK at presenting, which I was told in no uncertain terms during my mid-rotation evaluation (and frankly, I have to agree.) My attending basically told me that he can see I'm smart, that I'm doing a great job identifying what's going on with my patients and he thinks my work ethic is great, but the way I organize and present information needs serious work. I've really been working on this, but because my attending has been on vacation for two of the weeks I've actually been on general surgery, we've had very little face time- this means I'll have very little time to turn things around and show him that I'm progressing. This is important, because he's one of the muckety-mucks at my school, and I'm very interested in surgery.

Since I need more chances to try to impress this attending, and more practice presenting, I am thinking of seeing if I can show up to pre-round and do morning rounds with the general surgery team, and then head to the subspecialty clinic afterward. Luckily, timing and geography allow this- the question is, would it send the right message?

No

Members don't see this ad :)
Interesting…. care to elaborate?

Once you're off service, you're off service.

It would be super weird (and inappropriate) for a student to stick around to try and impress after the rotation is over.

Additionally, even if it is somehow logistically feasible, it would be short-selling your subspecialty rotation and would be viewed poorly.

Reactions: 1 user
Once you're off service, you're off service.

It would be super weird (and inappropriate) for a student to stick around to try and impress after the rotation is over.

Additionally, even if it is somehow logistically feasible, it would be short-selling your subspecialty rotation and would be viewed poorly.

Not sure if this changes your opinion, but just to clarify, the rotation is not over- I do two weeks of subspecialty, then come back to gen surg for two weeks.

Not sure if this changes your opinion, but just to clarify, the rotation is not over- I do two weeks of subspecialty, then come back to gen surg for two weeks.

Then impress the team during those subsequent two weeks.

Residents and attending's are used to the flow of students (and frequently get reminder emails from the clerkship directors about the changeover). Doing something outside the norm is not going to be viewed positively, it is just going to look weird.

And, again, during these two weeks you have an obligation to the service you are rotating with. They will not expect or take kindly to you splitting your time. They will also be evaluating you.

It's a terrible idea.

Reactions: 1 users
We all suck at presenting at first. I think it was March of third year when I finally got to the point where I could present halfway decently.

Practice. Practice at home, in the car, and practice especially when you're done pre rounding, before you talk to the resident. Number your handwritten notes from pre rounding in the order you want to say them. Read off the note you wrote after pre rounding. Practice with a classmate - they're just as bad as you. Just practice.

And you won't "get" it in two months - every service is a little different, every attending on every service wants something slightly different. It's okay.

Just practice. Trust me.

Honestly, I'd be happy the attending was honest with you. Work on this with subspecialty and then return as a different person.

Luckily, timing and geography allow this- the question is, would it send the right message?

If the message your trying to send is that you are a massive gunner who will do things outside of social norms to try to impress people, then it would send that message. The sad thing is, I can think of attendings who this would actually impress. Granted most attendings wouldnt be impressed and every other medstudent/resident who ever heard about this would ridicule you for it.

No. Just work hard on your subspecialty clinic, make sure you get better at presenting there, then come back and blow his socks off for your final 2 weeks. If you need more practice, just PRACTICE with someone else, NOT in front of the big boss who is going to be evaluating you.

Agree with Kaustikos - be thankful your attending gave you some actual feedback at your mid rotation feedback session.

If it helps, remember that you also have a sub-I or two as a fourth year to show off your presentation skills - by that time, you'll have had your entire third year to practice and things will seem much more natural.