rules for NJ medicaid Rx

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stavudine

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
what are the rules we should know about NJ medicaid prescriptions? Other insurance tips to follow in Walgreens system?

Members don't see this ad.

Here in Missouri they need to be written on tamper proof rx's.

Override codes are all put into the prior auth field of Third Part Auth

9996 = tamper proof rx
6666 = look alike sound alike - lamictal, ect.
4321 = dose increase

I work for Walgreen's in Kentucky and anymore I mutter several four letter words whenever I'm forced to enter that 9996 for even the most common medicaid Rx's. Gotta love it!

What's even worse is it took our third party support center months to get everything squared away in our archaic PDX system in regards to the new medicaid law. Up until a month or so ago, it wouldn't recognize refills on scripts written before April 1 as exempt, and would still demand the 9996 override.... which would either cause us to have to pull the hard-copy and go from there (which was the "correct" way according to internal audit), or simply put it in without looking.

Do any of the other software systems allow you to enter multiple PA values? On a few occasions when trying to fill a script, we'd get a hard halt (from the geniuses at Meijer) stating that "This NDC has been discontinued. If BOH stock exists, fill with PA code 9995". The majority had alternate NDC's we could use and ignore the halt, but there were a few that only one was in our system which undoubtedly caused even more of a headache.

All that being said, I can't wait until the fast approaching October deadline where all scripts will have to have at least 3 features from each of the baseline characteristics. We still have doctors in the area that haven't even been able to write scripts with 1 feature. Medicaid = PITA.