Rutgers Masters Program 2015-2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hello! I have applied for the Master's in business and science Biotechnology and Genomics at Rutgers, New Brunswick. I have applied for spring 2016. I completed my bachelor's degree with majors including Biotechnology(78.6%), Chemistry(71.5%), Botany (70.5). My undergrad GPA is 3.67 and my GRE scores are 147-quant, 148-verbal,AWA-3.0. I scored the required band in IELTS that is 7. I have a lot of experience in extra curriculars and community service. I also completed a training program on Biotechnology in a company. I have written reports on a lot of scientific industrial visits. Do I stand a chance? Please reply!
Thank-you.

Members don't see this ad.

I just got accepted to the Newark - Dental Scholars program last week (everything in by Aug ~20).

I plan on doing Spring - Fall - Spring and currently live in NY.

I was curious about whether I should live there or commute. The commute would be roughly ~2 hours each way by train but I heard that 1.5 year students only have classes 2-3 times a week. I feel like living there would be a waste of money (sort of) and if it's only 2-3 times a week, I SHOULD be able to do the commute.

Any current/former students that did a 1.5 year track able to chime in?

Yea you could commute. Most all of the classes record the lectures, some of them take attendance and some do not. If I was commuting I would definitely try to take the classes that do not require attendance, so you could just watch them at home. I live directly next to the school and it's a huge time saver, but I am also completing the program in 2 semesters.

Members don't see this ad :)
For those that are starting this spring, how do we go about securing on campus housing? Ive contacted the department for on campus living, but they said the application online would open up by the end of the month. Two different people told me two different things, so I'm not sure which is true at this point. Would getting a single/studio on campus be impossible to get coming this spring?

I'm curious about this too. I hear that 180 W is the closest and so I want to check out their site but whenever I try to gain access to it it says it's not available...

No idea how to do this. We pick classes at orientation right? I don't want to show up at Orientation (~2 weeks before most of the dental classes start) and find out I can't enroll in anything...

Well when I contacted the housing office, one person said the application would open up October, then someone else said November, and so on. With the uncertainty, I just found somewhere to live off-campus. I kind of anticipated this happening since we will be starting in the Spring.

Well it's open now. I just can't seem to find an application link. The only link available for Grad students just sends me back to the same page... Other option involves a lottery for undergrads. I guess I'll just contact them in the next week or so and see what's going on.

In case any of you are interested I am reletting a private bedroom in a 2br2ba apartment in University Centre (10 min walk from MSB/Dental Building, where virtually all lectures takes place). The unit is fully furnished and you get your own private bathroom. Looking for someone who can move in at the beginning of January ideally. This is available for females only. Please message me if you're interested. Thanks! :)

Hi,
I just got into the Spring 2016 Dental Scholars Program and was wondering if I can pm someone about what courses they enjoyed taking this past fall so I can prepare for registration. I have orientation tomorrow so I'm sure I'll speak with some classmates but I wanted to get some advice from students currently in the program. I chose Dr. Tsiagbe as my advisor so if anybody has any insight for a future fellow classmate, please let me know!

Tentatively planning on taking:
Fundamental B
Toxicology II
Oral Immunology
Oral Biology Research Seminar
Topics in Pharmacology

Hey guys, quick question for all the dental/medical scholars out there:
Did y'all apply for both MS and MBS programs?
The only difference between the two seems to be the research thesis.
I know the programs are interchangeable but would you guys recommend applying for both programs?
Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, quick question for all the dental/medical scholars out there:
Did y'all apply for both MS and MBS programs?
The only difference between the two seems to be the research thesis.
I know the programs are interchangeable but would you guys recommend applying for both programs?
Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Unless you are set on wanting to do a thesis. I would start off on the non thesis tract and if you end up loving somebody's lab you can always switch over to a thesis. Completing a thesis makes the program nearly impossible to finish in two semesters plus if you are trying to raise your GPA with the program the 5hrs of credits spent on the thesis won't count towards your GPA since its pass fail.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi,
I just got into the Spring 2016 Dental Scholars Program and was wondering if I can pm someone about what courses they enjoyed taking this past fall so I can prepare for registration. I have orientation tomorrow so I'm sure I'll speak with some classmates but I wanted to get some advice from students currently in the program. I chose Dr. Tsiagbe as my advisor so if anybody has any insight for a future fellow classmate, please let me know!

Tentatively planning on taking:
Fundamental B
Toxicology II
Oral Immunology
Oral Biology Research Seminar
Topics in Pharmacology

Hi, looks like we're pretty much in the same classes next semester! Only the last one's different. I started the program last fall and will be starting my second semester next week.

hey guys, i may apply to this program (big maybe) and was wondering if there were some easier classes out there. so far, i have the following list:
1) fundamentals B
2) toxicology 1
3) toxicology 2
is there anything else u guys can recommend (classes that aren't difficult)? thanks

I have a private furnished room for rent $675 plus utilities in Society Hill, shared bath. 5 mins walk to Rutgers Medical School, where the classes will be. The grocery store, Shop Rite, is 3 mins walk. 10 mins walk to Penn Station/Path to NYC, which is 20 mins away. It's very convenient and perfect for grad student!! PM for more details

hey guys, i may apply to this program (big maybe) and was wondering if there were some easier classes out there. so far, i have the following list:
1) fundamentals B
2) toxicology 1
3) toxicology 2
is there anything else u guys can recommend (classes that aren't difficult)? thanks

Gene Expression
Microscopes and lenses
QA/QI
Integrative physiology

Those are all generally known as easy classes. Good luck you doing well in the program with that attitude though. It's funny too because I noticed you were lamenting on other another thread about how much harder you have to work that "URMs" :laugh:

Last edited:
1) fundamentals B
2) toxicology 1
3) toxicology 2

There are no easy classes in this program. You're going to have to work hard for every class. It's possible to do really well, but you have to put in the time. There are no shortcuts.

Reactions: 1 user
1) fundamentals B
2) toxicology 1
3) toxicology 2

If you need to know what easy classes there are then you shouldn't be doing a post bacc, because in med school you can't pick easy and hard courses you have to take whats scheduled. Also some of these courses are no joke and to try and slide through is essentially throwing away a gift. The classes will prepare you and you will learn a lot but only if YOU want to.

1) fundamentals B
2) toxicology 1
3) toxicology 2

I am in GSBS and I took all 3 of these classes. They are not easy
The average for Funds B was a C+ first exam and Low B for the final
Tox 1 is heavy science/a and p. I did very well but studied a lot
Tox 2 was also pretty heavy on the sciences aside from the regulations/government agencies portion - studied a lot for this as well

All classes at GSBS are content heavy, and many students find classes challenging and not as challenging, its all subjective.

I am in GSBS and I took all 3 of these classes. They are not easy
The average for Funds B was a C+ first exam and Low B for the final
Tox 1 is heavy science/a and p. I did very well but studied a lot
Tox 2 was also pretty heavy on the sciences aside from the regulations/government agencies portion - studied a lot for this as well

All classes at GSBS are content heavy, and many students find classes challenging and not as challenging, its all subjective.

Thanks. It looks like I will be taking Funds A, Tox 1 and Pharmacology for sure. What other courses would you recommend taking, from your perspective?

Thanks. It looks like I will be taking Funds A, Tox 1 and Pharmacology for sure. What other courses would you recommend taking, from your perspective?

Pharmacology was a great course (highly recommended), its challenging but the material is very interesting which made studying easier

Judging from your posts it seems like you haven't even applied to this program, and you're looking for "easy" courses? I don't mean to lecture you but you should really do some more research about the program and actually apply/get admitted. Those courses you listed as "easy" are not "easy" at all. If anything, you're spreading false information about the program and undermining many students' hard work/dedication.

At GSBS there aren't "easy" courses, they all require heavy attention. What ever program you end up applying to, just know SMPs like GSBS will be the most challenging/demanding 30 credits of your academic career, and there's no way to beat it. Best of luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Pharmacology was a great course (highly recommended), its challenging but the material is very interesting which made studying easier

Judging from your posts it seems like you haven't even applied to this program, and you're looking for "easy" courses? I don't mean to lecture you but you should really do some more research about the program and actually apply/get admitted. Those courses you listed as "easy" are not "easy" at all. If anything, you're spreading false information about the program and undermining many students' hard work/dedication.

At GSBS there aren't "easy" courses, they all require heavy attention. What ever program you end up applying to, just know SMPs like GSBS will be the most challenging/demanding 30 credits of your academic career, and there's no way to beat it. Best of luck!

Thanks!

What courses did you take?

I don't mean to undermine anyone's work. I know it is a difficult program.

Which courses did you take so far?