Rutgers School of Dental Medicine Class of 2025 Interview/Acceptance Thread

Anyone else interviewing in-person tomorrow?
Do you know if this is the last round of interviews they are doing?

Members don't see this ad.

I hope you save this message and look back at it in 4-10 years and can still find the humor to laugh about it. I have no idea why you chose to ignore the dental students and dentists on this forum and Dental Town. Everything you mention about diversity and prestige means nothing in the real world. I guess you haven't heard this joke yet: "Why does NY require dentists to complete a GPR to practice? Because NYU". From needing to find patients to bring in, to having absurdly low clinical requirements, PLUS THE 700k DEBT or whatever it costs these days (it will go up every year)... I wish you good luck. Some people come out of NYU and do okay, some do great, and I really hope you are one of them.

For everyone else, if you have the option of a state school, GO! I don’t care if it’s Rutgers or Stony or UCLA or Buffalo. Listen to what people a couple years ahead of you are trying to scream into your ears.
I don't really appreciate your condescension when addressing a decision that I believed was the best for me personally. While I think you made a solid point regarding the cost/debt, diversity is 100% something that matters in the real world. Prestige, to a certain extent, also matters (although I agree it's not quite as important).

That being said, I think the thing that swayed me most in regards to picking NYU were the successful dentists I know personally who went there. They all had a really great experience and are really happy with their decision now. Ultimately, I think wherever you go, it really depends on what you decide to make of it.

Rutgers, like I said before, was a really solid contender for me when making this decision. I think the decision I arrived at is just best for what I was looking for. I wish everyone who has committed to and will be attending Rutgers the best of luck! :)

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I don't really appreciate your condescension when addressing a decision that I believed was the best for me personally. While I think you made a solid point regarding the cost/debt, diversity is 100% something that matters in the real world. Prestige, to a certain extent, also matters (although I agree it's not quite as important).

That being said, I think the thing that swayed me most in regards to picking NYU were the successful dentists I know personally who went there. They all had a really great experience and are really happy with their decision now. Ultimately, I think wherever you go, it really depends on what you decide to make of it.

Rutgers, like I said before, was a really solid contender for me when making this decision. I think the decision I arrived at is just best for what I was looking for. I wish everyone who has committed to and will be attending Rutgers the best of luck! :)

Well said! I was in the same boat as you and I know how from nyu undoubtedly they prep their dentists extremely well. Rutgers is great clinically too, but things like the extremely long commute, family wanting me to stay by home and even with the pricing of nyu, it's comparable to other schools I got accepted into assuming OOS or general tuition and plan is to take no loans or if so, very minimal loans and pay them off asap. Both schools have their pros and cons, but go where you will be happy at the end of the day. Ik tuition is a realistic factor to consider, but people have made ends meet and make it work. Networking from nyu is huge too, not to be underestimated come your time of entrance into the workforce as a dentist. All the best to everyone; we all have our reasons and need to know that whatever route we take, in God we trust.

Reactions: 1 user
For anyone baffled by how schools like NYU and USC get away with their criminally high COA...this is how ^^. The COA when these successful dentists you're talking about graduated was around 300-400k, not 600-700k like it is now. I won't try to lead the horse to water, but you've been warned o_O again. I wonder how that diversity and large alumni network will help pay that mountain of loans you're burying yourself under

Edit: Oh and that was back when interest rates were 2-3%, not 5-8+% like it is now

For anyone baffled by how schools like NYU and USC get away with their criminally high COA...this is how ^^. The COA when these successful dentists you're talking about graduated was around 300-400k, not 600-700k like it is now. I won't try to lead the horse to water, but you've been warned o_O again. I wonder how that diversity and large alumni network will help pay that mountain of loans you're burying yourself under

Edit: Oh and that was back when interest rates were 2-3%, not 5-8+% like it is now
Again, I understand the concern regarding the cost as this was something my parents were pretty concerned about as well. However, like I had mentioned before, I made a decision based on where I would be happier and therefore, be able to perform better and ultimately succeed. This isn't the decision for everyone, nor did I say it should be so I'm not sure why I'm being criticized when I just said I gave up my spot and then answered when others asked questions.

But again, I wish everyone the best of luck. We are all trying to do our best and be successful dentists because this is where our passions lie. We just have to make the most of wherever we decide to go!

Reactions: 2 users

I agree with everything you say except that NYU carries prestige over a state dental school. NYU dental accepts students with sub avg gpa to fill out their 300+ seats.

did they send out more interviews last week or this week? or are they done sending interviews?

Anyone who interviewed post December heard back?
I was virtually interviewed on the 14th of January, and unfortunately waitlisted. Admissions let me know via email that I may be notified anywhere between mid-March and August if a position becomes available. Hoping for the earlier end of that range! Fingers crossed.

Anyone know the odds of getting in off the waitlist?

Reactions: 1 users
I was virtually interviewed on the 14th of January, and unfortunately waitlisted. Admissions let me know via email that I may be notified anywhere between mid-March and August if a position becomes available. Hoping for the earlier end of that range! Fingers crossed.

Anyone know the odds of getting in off the waitlist?
Which day did they inform you of the waitlist?

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know what percentage they accept from the masters students?

are you masters students at ru? do you know how many masters students have gotten an interview so far?
Yeah, I'm a master's student. I feel like a lot of masters students got an interview, almost 1/3 of the people in my interview group where masters students

Yeah, I'm a master's student. I feel like a lot of masters students got an interview, almost 1/3 of the people in my interview group where masters students
did you go to rutgers masters program? and were they also from rutgers?

Same here! I thought my interview went well but you never know 🤷‍♂️. Has your status on the portal changed? Mine stills says "invited for interview"
Same! Hopefully we both get in. :) Mine also says "Invited for Interview"

My interview was on January 22nd as well, did you send them a letter of intent?
I did not, but I was thinking about doing that if over 2 weeks went by without any response

I did not, but I was thinking about doing that if over 2 weeks went by without any response
Yeah, I'm thinking of doing that but wasn't sure if I should first wait to hear back from them. Do they inform you if you are waitlisted or rejected?

Yeah, I'm thinking of doing that but wasn't sure if I should first wait to hear back from them. Do they inform you if you are waitlisted or rejected?
Someone who interviewed earlier in January said they were notified they were waitlisted. Maybe see if you get any updates by the end of this week?

Are they done with interviews now or are they still sending out invites?

Reactions: 1 users
Hey everyone, I’m a D4, so I’m out of here this year.

My D3 roommates are looking for roomates to share our flat right by NJIT. It’s a 3 minute drive or 10 minute walk to the school, and we’re right next to the light rail stop to Penn Station. We have plenty of street parking and we’ve never had any issues. I’ve lived here all 4 years and it has been the PERFECT setup here. It’s a 3 bedroom 2 full bath apartment with really cheap rent. Right now we pay between $350-$650 a person. It has 1 master bedroom with a bathroom located inside it and then two other bedrooms which share a bathroom. Also, we have a huge kitchen and living room area for hanging out. All the D4s here are moving out after graduation, so we’re looking for new roommates. For the past 6 years it’s been rented by dental students who pass it on year after year - the owner is very supportive because his son went to RSDM class of 2019. If you’re interested just send me a message. We’d be happy to show you the place sometime.