Rutgers vs Northeastern - 0-6

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharmacist7

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
edited

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Rutgers is a good school. It sounds like you want to stay in NJ and you will save a lot of money going there. I think this sounds like a better plan financially.

Northeastern is a good school, but very expensive tuition...and it is very expensive to live in Boston. The co-op is a good program.

I would stay at Rutgers...you don't want to be in a ton of debt after graduating, that's for sure.

It's not a big deal if you have to re-take your AP courses at RU...if anything, it should be a breeze since you've taken them already. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd also suggest going to Rutgers. My lead pharmacist went there for 0-6 and has only nice things to say about it.

It also isn't a huge drawback to have to retake a few AP classes.

When I was at the University of Kansas pre-pharmacy orientation, the dean of pharmacy strongly suggested taking science based first year classes (General Chem/Bio) even if you had AP credits transferred in. He had some crazy statistics about increased preparedness further in (O Chem and Anatomy).

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Any other opinions?

I still remember that post by a NEU student that complained about how he/she had about 250k or 300k in debt.

So...go to Rutgers. It's a good program.

Go to Rutgers, use your AP credits on non-science classes and get them out of the way. Take the math and science courses with everyone else. If you breeze through them, you'll look like an AWESOME student with a really good GPA. More likely, you'll be thankful for a reiteration of the basics before you get into OChem etc.

Hey, I was wondering what other people's opinions were regarding Rutgers' & Northeastern's respective 6 year pharmd programs.

I got into both and now am having trouble deciding. I moved to NJ 3 years ago so Rutgers would be A LOT cheaper than Northeastern but Northeatern is really attracting because of the campus and the area.

I need help deciding between the two and I have some opinions, so please let me know what you think.

Rutgers:

Pros - highly respected in NJ (Not sure if outside NJ) so would help me to get a job & stay in NJ upon graduation. Really cheap & got a partial scholarship. Option of combining pharmd with MBA in later years - something I'm interested in.

Cons - Close to home (want to experience that college experience), no co-op like Northeastern, AP Credit limit of 8 when I have so many AP classes and hopefully will have credits. This is a huge drawback for me since I would have credit for the following: AP Calculus AB & BC, AP Language and Composition, AP Chemistry, AP US History and AP Statistics. Rutgers has a limit of 8 (which AP Chem alone is 8 for the class, and 2 for lab so I would only be able t o get out of gen chem if I used the AP Chem credit).

Northeastern:
Pros - Amazing Co-Op opportunities, AP Credit limit is high (around 60 if I recall), nice area.

Cons - EXTREMELY expensive (especially when compared to Rutgers), no scholarship. Very little financial aid received.

Any comments/opinions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

I actually had to make the same decision between Northeastern and Rutgers. I chose Rutgers in the end. Northeastern is just too expensive. It was like 50K per year back when I applied in 2008, its must be crazy expensive now.

As far as your AP classes, I advise you to use it on chemistry. But dude, not using APs are fine. Its called easy A's and B+'s in college. You dont have to go to class you already know the material. I took AP Calc in high school too. I never went to class in college and got an easy B+ (no effort). You are going to want to beef up your GPA cause pharmacy school gets HARD in the later years.

I also was worried about it being too close to home, but it is what you make it. I have friends who go home every weekend so it seems like they never left. But me, in my fall of freshmen year....I went home for thanksgiving break that was it. As long as you stay on campus and not going home all the time, you get a full college experience.

In the end, the cost is just too great at Northeastern for me and Rutgers pharmacy has a stronger name. But hey, if money is not a concern for you (rich folks) and you really like the area in Northeastern then go.

I've heard horror stories from both schools. Pick the cheapest.