Rx

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Yutis

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Quick question, what is a Dentist allowed to prescribe? Can (s)he prescribe anything (s)he wants or does he have limits?

No schedule I meds but anything else that can be justified within the scope of their practice.

So yes an pharma would probably fill a Rx for birth control for you woman so you don't knock her up, but it can be a slipper slope and it depends on the pharm.

Now, since I know you are going to ask with a follow up post of "what are the sched I drugs", why not wander on over to google and check 'em out.

Like capisce said, a dentist can prescribe any medication for any indication within his/her scope of practice.

The indication matters as much as the drug. I'm on rotation at an emergency clinic this week, and today I had a young woman ask me if I could prescribe her some antibiotics for an, um, intimate problem. I told her she was out of luck and would have to see a physician and cough up another Medicaid copay. Whatever antibiotic her MD prescribes will probably be something dentists use regularly, but the indication is outside dentistry's scope of practice.

Gotta love urgent care patients. :rolleyes: