RxP at LSU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mmonte4

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just talked with an LSU grad student. She told me there has been no adjustment to the clinical program due to RxP. Although you can minor in psychopharm(as a clinical grad student), that does not put you on a fast track to getting RxP. The only psychopharm classes that count are post doc.

Members don't see this ad.

I am a grad student @ LSU and I can confirm this!

i find this news disappointing. You would think that the law would be written differently so that one would be able obtain RxP earlier.

Members don't see this ad :)
who are u studying under edieb?

Studying under Dr. Copeland

If you take courses in psychopharmacology and related fields, could you then have these courses waived in your postdoctoral clinical psychopharmacology M.S. program?

no, from what i understand all classes have to be taken post doctoral.

That is correct. If you're coming to LSU for greater exposure to psychopharmacology, don't! Most of the professors are against RxP. Also, in my opinion, the program is really terrible. What they sell you when you interview and what you actually buy are 2 very different things.

edieb, what undergrad or masters program are you coming from? What kind of things did they try to sell? I noticed on their application, they have a choice for "medical psychology"

Medical training for psychologists at the pre-post doc level is a long way off, and for good reason. APA.

I am coming from Brown in Providence, RI. I did not get my master's first. The medical psychology program is really just behavioral medicine.

psisci said:
Medical training for psychologists at the pre-post doc level is a long way off, and for good reason. APA.

But why? Is it to appease the dinosaurs who are anti-RxP? I really do not see how "prescribing psychology" or "medical psychology" is so different from a concentration in neuropsychology in that these are optional specialization tracks in clinical psychology. Graduate students in clinical psychology training programs who take graduate-level courses in psychopharmacology-related subjects should have these courses waived in their postdoctoral training programs. This is one way to convince policymakers that graduate students are obtaining rigorous PREdoctoral preparation for eventually seeking postdoctoral training in clinical psychopharmacology and a license to prescribe. Psychiatry is using this argument against psychologist RxP. There is no point to restricting such training to the postdoctoral level.

Like I said, APA is the major problem. If potential psychologists still need to take so many units in stupid PC based subjects, there will never be room for RxP level coursework. The system needs to change. RxP coursework at a grad level is great, but in the current system is not possible. I had more coursework in understanding the specific needs of special interest "cultural groups", whom are all "American" than I did in neuroscience, psychopharm etc.. in my doctoral program, and most students still get that shoved down their throats. My residency in medical psych taught me more than all the liberal gibberish. :)

psisci said:
Like I said, APA is the major problem. If potential psychologists still need to take so many units in stupid PC based subjects, there will never be room for RxP level coursework. The system needs to change. RxP coursework at a grad level is great, but in the current system is not possible. I had more coursework in understanding the specific needs of special interest "cultural groups", whom are all "American" than I did in neuroscience, psychopharm etc.. in my doctoral program, and most students still get that shoved down their throats. My residency in medical psych taught me more than all the liberal gibberish. :)

Most medical students take no more than a single, 1- or 2-credit course in "diversity" or some other PC topic. Why do clinical psychology programs devote so much time to this? Is it because of the "sensitivity" of psychotherapy?