SAEM in SF

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

roja

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Who's agoing?

(I was inspired by BKN's advice to attend every year).

I'll be there by friday afternoon....

Members don't see this ad.

anyone know where saem is gonna be in 2007?

roja said:
Who's agoing?

Hypocritically speaking this'll be the first time I've skipped it in 23 years. spent all my travel money (and then some) on programming curses (only sort of a typo).

But I'll buy drinks for SDNers next year.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll be there (my first national conference - WOO HOO). Who's buying the first round?

I'll be there on Friday!

Pelivar

roja said:
Who's agoing?

I'll be there starting Wednesday. It's great to have an advance on your CME money.

I don't know SF at all, so I don't know what to suggest, although one of our attendings gave me a packet of restaurants, maps, etc.

mike

I've heard anywhere in Fisherman's Wharf or Chinatown is awesome...

I would highly recommend staying away from either of those tourist traps. :)

I get in around 4 on friday...

Should we gather one of these days?

As is common, I disagree with Roja. The "tourist ghetto" of Fisherman's Wharf/Pier 39 and 41 can be a lot of fun. See the seals. Go down the Embarcadero - you can see the "Fog City Diner" (you may remember it from the Mike Myers movie "So I Married an Ax Murderer"). Hit the financial district - the Sony Metreon. Grab a copy of the SF Weekly and the Guardian - free papers like the Village Voice but thicker and better. See Ghiardelli Square. Snag a deal (they're there, but you have to find them) at the Levi Strauss factory. Go to the Haight and people watch. Visit Golden Gate park (there's supposedly the ghost of a police officer that roams there). Go to the Exploratorium - a LOT of fun. Visit the Presidio - make sure you see the military cemetery. Walk from the Presidio across the Golden Gate bridge to Sausalito and back (and bring a coat - the water is always 48 degrees, and, no matter how sunny, it always seems to be cloudly/foggy when you're on the bridge proper). For sure, get some sushi and some dim sum. Near the Bay Bridge and Tunnel, you can see the cargo loaders that inspired George Lucas to create the AT-AT walkers for The Empire Strikes Back. Oh, and, the coup de gras - get tickets the day before for Alcatraz. You won't regret it.

SF is a hell of a ride.

Apollyon said:
As is common, I disagree with Roja. The "tourist ghetto" of Fisherman's Wharf/Pier 39 and 41 can be a lot of fun. See the seals. Go down the Embarcadero - you can see the "Fog City Diner" (you may remember it from the Mike Myers movie "So I Married an Ax Murderer"). Hit the financial district - the Sony Metreon. Grab a copy of the SF Weekly and the Guardian - free papers like the Village Voice but thicker and better. See Ghiardelli Square. Snag a deal (they're there, but you have to find them) at the Levi Strauss factory. Go to the Haight and people watch. Visit Golden Gate park (there's supposedly the ghost of a police officer that roams there). Go to the Exploratorium - a LOT of fun. Visit the Presidio - make sure you see the military cemetery. Walk from the Presidio across the Golden Gate bridge to Sausalito and back (and bring a coat - the water is always 48 degrees, and, no matter how sunny, it always seems to be cloudly/foggy when you're on the bridge proper). For sure, get some sushi and some dim sum. Near the Bay Bridge and Tunnel, you can see the cargo loaders that inspired George Lucas to create the AT-AT walkers for The Empire Strikes Back. Oh, and, the coup de gras - get tickets the day before for Alcatraz. You won't regret it.

SF is a hell of a ride.

I'm with you. SF is supposed to be about tourism the first time you're there. I'd add cable a car ride, lunch or dinner at the top of the mark or the fairmont crown (or whatever behemoth chain name they have now).
dinner at the cannery/ghiradelli square or the wharf, then walk out on the breakwater west of ghiradelli and stare back at the city rising above you.

have a good time, I wish I was going.

roja said:
I would highly recommend staying away from either of those tourist traps. :)

I get in around 4 on friday...

Should we gather one of these days?

....representing the mid-atlantic! :) Where is everyone staying ? Any recommendations on hotels ?

PuSh

BKN said:
I'm with you. SF is supposed to be about tourism the first time you're there. I'd add cable a car ride, lunch or dinner at the top of the mark or the fairmont crown (or whatever behemoth chain name they have now).
dinner at the cannery/ghiradelli square or the wharf, then walk out on the breakwater west of ghiradelli and stare back at the city rising above you.

have a good time, I wish I was going.

Ahhh, see, I have 1- been to SF tons and adore it. and 2-have never been into touristy stuff for any city really... not even my current home. :)

although I do recommend taking a drive down the curviest street in teh USA

roja said:
Ahhh, see, I have 1- been to SF tons and adore it. and 2-have never been into touristy stuff for any city really... not even my current home. :)

although I do recommend taking a drive down the curviest street in teh USA

Oh, yeah. And if you can get a day before or after, go up to Sonoma and drive around for a wine tour, be sure you get over to the coast for a few miles. (Avoid Napa, that has turned into the world's largest adult tourist trap).

As much as I love SF, I decided to utilize much of my extra week off in miami. I am pretty much coming in just for the conference and investing my free time in something verrrrrrrrrrrry academic...

sunbathing

I'm trying to go last minute. Where is everyone staying? Are you all medstuds or residents? Anybody want to split a room?

How does the SAEM compare to the ACEP which will be in New Orleans in October... from a medical student standpoint? The EM attendings at my school suggested I go to ACEP if I have to pick one. They said it will have more residency programs at the fair and tends to overall be more popular.

I am a student and finances limit me to one or the other conference. Schedule wise, ACEP works better as SAEM would require me to take about 4 days off a third year rotation.

Thanks in advance for the input...

EM_Rebuilder said:
How does the SAEM compare to the ACEP which will be in New Orleans in October... from a medical student standpoint? The EM attendings at my school suggested I go to ACEP if I have to pick one. They said it will have more residency programs at the fair and tends to overall be more popular.

I am a student and finances limit me to one or the other conference. Schedule wise, ACEP works better as SAEM would require me to take about 4 days off a third year rotation.

Thanks in advance for the input...

There may be more residency programs at the fair at ACEP, but. . .almost everybody at SAEM will be academicians. I suspect more faculty go to SAEM than either ACEP or AAEM. It's a much better meeting for the faculty since it's all new research, teaching and faculty development courses.