salaries

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mdfirst

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I may ask, what are the salaries like for a young ophthalmologist? Some say high, while others start low. What's the skinny on the rumors? :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Where are you looking? There's a large difference based on location.

Academic or private?

Comprehensive, or subspecialty? This can, at times, make a big difference.

I almost forgot one of the most important questions:
What's your definition of "low" and "high"?

Members don't see this ad :)
well, i guess I would consider 100's to be RELATIVELY low, where anything greater than or equal to 250K is high. Thats just my opinion I guess.

Last edited:
my experience from last year - private, general ophthalmology

Most offers between $125-135k (After negotiations) in fairly desireable cities in the South/Southeast. I would imagine that is the average for most offers.
There are higher offers ($175k up to 200k) out there, but usually in less desirable cities (northern Michigan, middle of Kentucky, etc). It is not unheard of for general to make closer to $100k in very desireable locales like
NYC, Chicago. My classmates had similar offers.

Avg buy-in - 2 years. After paying for partnership (takes several years), average salary is closer to $200-250 - very dependent on clinic and surgical volume.

Most subspecialties - except for peds and retina, command another $25-30k starting out. Surgical retina probably starts in the low-mid $200, and peds lower 100s.

The numbers on most salary sites seem inflated - again, based on my experience.

thanks for ur input. Ive been seeing salary surveys in the 3-400's, which does seem inflated to me. Its nice to get some input from someone with experience in the field. :cool:

3-400's is pretty rediculous. It would have to be a subspecialty position in the complete middle of nowhere.

I think 125 or so for general (a little less in cities like LA, chicago, NYC, etc, a little more in rural areas) with a 30-35% bonus at 2.5-3.5 base collections is fairly standard. Add a little more for glaucoma or cornea, a little more still for retina or plastics.

In my opinion, your starting base salary is NOT the most important thing to look at when finding a job. Productivity bonus, buy in option, benefits, and noncompete clauses can be more important. A good working environment and the opportunity to build a strong practice are probably even more important.