About the ads

salary and specialization in rad onc

Discussion in 'Radiation Oncology' started by The Druid, Sep 4, 2004.

1. SDN is a nonprofit organization. Services are made possible through the generous support of SDN members and sponsors. Thank you.
  1. The Druid

The Druid Junior Member

SDN 7+ Year Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    Hi, I'm an M1 right now and I'm interested in oncology (having researched in a couple of oncology labs previously). Radiation oncology, from what I've read, seems interesting - but I have a couple of questions.

One, what is the salary range like, and two, is it possible for a rad onc to specialize (i.e., neuro-rad onc)?

Thanks.
  2. stephew

stephew SDN Super Moderator Moderator Emeritus

SDN 10+ Year Member
    rad onc salary is very good. Both academic and private (rather notable compared to the academic salaries of other fields in fact). Yes you can specialize; I do neuro-onc.
  3. pikachu

pikachu Senior Member

Hollywood Upstairs Medical College (PGY-1)
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    Few quick questions about what your practice looks like now Steph (and others who are subspecializing):

Did you do a fellowship or simply decide to focus on neuro-onc (or whatever)? Did you have to add anything to your residency training to do this? Rad onc fellowships are mostly in brachy and peds not anatomical sites, correct? How much of your practice is non-cns sites?
  4. stephew

stephew SDN Super Moderator Moderator Emeritus

SDN 10+ Year Member
    no no fellowship. you would only do a fellowship if you chose to specialize in a feild that you had insuffient practice in in residency (peds, imrt, brachy, whatever). Im an academic and so the only time i do off-speciality sites is for call issues.