salary and specialization in rad onc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

The Druid

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm an M1 right now and I'm interested in oncology (having researched in a couple of oncology labs previously). Radiation oncology, from what I've read, seems interesting - but I have a couple of questions.

One, what is the salary range like, and two, is it possible for a rad onc to specialize (i.e., neuro-rad onc)?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

The Druid said:
Hi, I'm an M1 right now and I'm interested in oncology (having researched in a couple of oncology labs previously). Radiation oncology, from what I've read, seems interesting - but I have a couple of questions.

One, what is the salary range like, and two, is it possible for a rad onc to specialize (i.e., neuro-rad onc)?

Thanks.
rad onc salary is very good. Both academic and private (rather notable compared to the academic salaries of other fields in fact). Yes you can specialize; I do neuro-onc.

Few quick questions about what your practice looks like now Steph (and others who are subspecializing):

Did you do a fellowship or simply decide to focus on neuro-onc (or whatever)? Did you have to add anything to your residency training to do this? Rad onc fellowships are mostly in brachy and peds not anatomical sites, correct? How much of your practice is non-cns sites?

pikachu said:
Few quick questions about what your practice looks like now Steph (and others who are subspecializing):

Did you do a fellowship or simply decide to focus on neuro-onc (or whatever)? Did you have to add anything to your residency training to do this? Rad onc fellowships are mostly in brachy and peds not anatomical sites, correct? How much of your practice is non-cns sites?
no no fellowship. you would only do a fellowship if you chose to specialize in a feild that you had insuffient practice in in residency (peds, imrt, brachy, whatever). Im an academic and so the only time i do off-speciality sites is for call issues.