Salary cut as a pediatric dermatologist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jumpingforjoy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would a pediatric dermatologist likely take a pay cut rather than doing general dermatology? Also, do most pediatric dermatologists only work part-time in a medical center setting if you don't have your private practice?

Members don't see this ad.

peds derm has fewer procedures and if your practice is strictly peds derm then very little cosmetics/cash services; thus, lower compensation. that is why there is a shortage and why some applicants have learned that expressing an interest in peds derm whether they're being honest or not, may help their application in the eyes of academicians.

Members don't see this ad :)
peds derm has fewer procedures and if your practice is strictly peds derm then very little cosmetics/cash services; thus, lower compensation. that is why there is a shortage and why some applicants have learned that expressing an interest in peds derm whether they're being honest or not, may help their application in the eyes of academicians.

:laugh::laugh::laugh: Applicants only speak the Gospel truth, don't ya know...

Salary in private practice likely would be less, but considering the need for pediatric derm and the shortage, academic peds derm probably are on par with their gen derm academic counterparts. In that case, the peds derm clinic is usually attached to the hospital and the hospital makes it up in the facility fee.

Salary in private practice likely would be less, but considering the need for pediatric derm and the shortage, academic peds derm probably are on par with their gen derm academic counterparts. In that case, the peds derm clinic is usually attached to the hospital and the hospital makes it up in the facility fee.

What kind of facility fees do you think the hospitals are collecting on ped derm?

It'll depend on how the academic department determines salaries. Many departments pay proportional to how much you bring into the department and peds will just not bring in as much since there is less procedures (ie. less cryothreapy, much fewer biopsies, less cosmetics). Some will have a set base salary that many be pretty comparable between the gen derm and the peds derm. Some departments will tell you that their hands are tied for the salary and it is probably true to some extent. However, I've seen successful negotiation to know that salaries are not set in stone. Also ancillary services and support are huge and can be such a bonus in the academic setting.

I have the same question, what facility fees do you think are coming with peds derm visits?

I believe the peds derm folks at an academic institution in Philly get paid more than their gen derm counterparts. Just something I heard through the pipelines.

What kind of facility fees do you think the hospitals are collecting on ped derm?

I have a ped derm colleague that does about 20 laser cases in the OR every month. It's not a ton, but it's something.

I have a ped derm colleague that does about 20 laser cases in the OR every month. It's not a ton, but it's something.

Interesting. In the town I trained at derms were not granted OR privileges; these cases went to Ped Surg or plastics.

Interesting. In the town I trained at derms were not granted OR privileges; these cases went to Ped Surg or plastics.

This is at a children's hospital at a large academic medical center.

Where I trained, the pedi derms also did some laser cases in the OR (not as many). The majority of the cases were PDL for vascular birthmarks.