Salary Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bogatyr

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've seen some threads before on the topic of salary, but I have a question that I haven't seen addressed. If an HPSP w/o prior service is granted a deferral for a civilian residency, when they come back on AD to payback their 4 years, what is their pay grade? I assume it is an O-3 w/ <2 yrs service. So most of your colleagues who just finished their military residency are O-4 with 4 years of service and are earning $12000 more per year. Is this correct?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Yes and no. The colleagues may or may not be promoted yet, my guess is most would still be an o-3, but with promotion not long off. They would though have 4 years of service. They also would have made about 15,000 a year more during residency and received more vacation time as well.

Time spent in training counts toward promotion, so you will be promoted at the same time as your military trained colleagues.

Time not spent on active duty will not counts towards pay, so you will be O-4 with < 2 while your military trained colleague will be O-4 >6

militarymd said:
Time spent in training counts toward promotion, so you will be promoted at the same time as your military trained colleagues.

Time not spent on active duty will not counts towards pay, so you will be O-4 with < 2 while your military trained colleague will be O-4 >6

I think it depends whether you are on FTOS or NADDS. I think FTOS gets time in service for promotion and NADDS doesn't.