Salvaging My GPA for MSTP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

biomechanist

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all!

I started off as a CompSci major in a Top 10 program, but quickly grew bored of the program, did not do well (2.02), and withdrew after freshman year. I obtained a full-time job as a software engineer, but quickly realized that programming was not my passion, so I decided to go back to school for exercise science/kinesiology. I ended up being out of school for one year.

Since re-enrolling, I received a 3.96 at a CC, have a 3.91 at a Top 5 program (cGPA since re-enrolling is 3.93), and have one more year to go. Here are some of my numbers re: sGPA.
BIO: 4.0
A&P: 4.0
Gen Chem: 4.0
Gen Physics: 4.0
Stats: 4.0
Calc I (taken in HS): 3.3
The below classes are killing my sGPA - I am retaking them this year.
Calc II (taken freshman year): 1.0
Calc III (taken freshman year): Failed

I should also note that my courseloads have been heavy. 16/16 at CC, 4/4 CC summer session, 18/20 Uni, 3/6 Uni summer session. I will be taking 24 and 22 credits this upcoming year, but as per the sticky, I'm not sure that this matters, but, IMO, it should be indicative of work ethic/commitment, no?

I just submitted my first study (biomechanics-related, I'm first author), will be completing about 10 studies during my internship this year (2nd author), and may submit 4 more papers (first author) before applying. I will be taking the MCAT soon; I anticipate low–mid 30s.

I have e-mailed professors under whom I would like to work, and most of them seemed to respond rather favorably to my passion, ideas, and potential (one prof. at a top 10 MSTP said, "…with your background you could make a significant impact in the literature," and another prof. said the MSTP there has been wanting his lab to take a student, but the right one hasn't come across yet (implying I may be the right one)) – I even have the opportunity to do a 1-year post-bacc in my top choice lab/school.

So, my question is, if my cGPA is 3.5-3.8, but salvaged from a 2.3-ish (I took some college courses in HS, in which I received mostly ~3.0s), how harshly would an MSTP look down upon having < 3.8 and my track record before re-enrolling? Will I have done enough to make up for it?

I'm open to any/all suggestions, and to anyone that takes the time to answer, thank you for your time.

Members don't see this ad.

Take the MCAT and do as well as you can. Then apply broadly and also to some MD only.

From what I have observed, GPA varies much more in MD-PhD applicants than in MD applicants. Since more people come from hard sciences (physics, chem) or engineering, having a GPA of 3.5 is not uncommon. Obviously it helps to improve your GPA, but I think your application will hinge on your MCAT and your research performance, so your application is far from sunk. If you have multiple publications, good recommendations and a mid 30's MCAT, you should be in very good shape for a MSTP, although I'm not sure about your aspirations for "top 10" programs.

Take the MCAT and do as well as you can. Then apply broadly and also to some MD only.

Thanks. If I don't get in, I'd rather just go for a PhD or get a masters, then reapply (I lean towards the research side of being a physician-scientist). Nevertheless, I'll try to crush the MCAT and get in my first (and hopefully last) go-around :)

From what I have observed, GPA varies much more in MD-PhD applicants than in MD applicants. Since more people come from hard sciences (physics, chem) or engineering, having a GPA of 3.5 is not uncommon. Obviously it helps to improve your GPA, but I think your application will hinge on your MCAT and your research performance, so your application is far from sunk. If you have multiple publications, good recommendations and a mid 30's MCAT, you should be in very good shape for a MSTP, although I'm not sure about your aspirations for "top 10" programs.

Thanks, Underu, that seems to be what I've read/was expecting (and hoping). I would only be applying to one "top 10" program, where I am friendly with the professor under whom I would be studying, so I figured it can't hurt. The other schools are ranked anywhere from 15–44.