Save money in two year program, or attend more expensive one year program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctorDividends

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am 31 and have decided to change careers and pursue medicine, like many others here :). I currently live and work in Boston. I have been accepted to Georgetown’s PBPM program for the Fall 2015 term. I am trying to decide between attending Georgetown’s program, or staying in Boston and attending the Harvard Extension School (HES).
  • Georgetown tuition will be $40,000 and will take one year to complete. I estimate cost of living to be $25,000/year, plus $3,000 for flights to see my girlfriend in Boston, for a total expense of $68,000. I will finish in August 2016.
  • HES tuition will be $11,000 and will take two years to complete. I can live with my girlfriend and estimate living costs to be $20,000/year for a total expense of $51,000. I will finish in May 2017.
Given these circumstances, what would you choose? The quick rinse through a pre-med program, or a longer, less expensive program with more extracurriculars?

This is a summary of the pros/cons of each school, with additional soft considerations.
  • Georgetown
    • Pros
      • Fastest completion of med school prerequisite courses
    • Cons
      • Expensive tuition
      • Monthly flight to visit girlfriend
  • HES
    • Pros
      • Night class format potentially allows me to continue working at my current job
      • Alternatively, could gain clinical experience during the day.
      • Can live with girlfriend
      • Relaxed timeline allows for 2 - 4 additional science electives.
    • Cons
      • Fall 2015 program was full, so requires an extra year
I am paying for my post-bac out of pocket (no loans). I want to have as much financial firepower left for med school as possible, but getting good grades in my post-bac program is the most important consideration.

HES courses are at night, so I could continue to be employed at my day job, which is somewhat demanding. However, if I find that taking two courses at HES + my day job will affect my grades, I will leave my job.

Thanks for opining in!

Members don't see this ad.

You didn't say your stats, but I'd go with two year since you're doing a career changer. Don't forget your ECs and research.

Last edited:
What is your opportunity cost?

If you haven't taken the sciences it's going to take you a year of coursework followed by your MCAT followed by a year waiting for the admissions cycle to play out.

Also relevant is what is your undergrad GPA?

Members don't see this ad :)
I would personally take the two year route at HES. Having two years to complete all your courses with amazing opportunities to shadow, volunteer, or do research everywhere in Boston sounds like a great opportunity to me. Consider the fact that you also have to take the MCAT, which is going to be a huge, huge time commitment along with the courses, extracurriculars, and your job. If you go to Georgetown, I'd expect that you would have to wait another year to apply anyway just because you'd be studying for the MCAT after you take your courses, whereas if you go the HES route, you can start studying the material you've learned in your first year and a half and take the MCAT in May or June after you've completed your coursework.

Having emotional support throughout this entire process through your girlfriend is also an incalculable benefit, as is not having to acclimate to an unfamiliar city while starting your post-bacc. You want to apply once with the best possible app that you can muster together, and HES is the better choice for that IMO.

Regardless of which program you choose you will be starting medical school (if you are accepted) starting in the summer/fall of 2017. If the 1 year program ends in August 2016 that might be too late for quite a few if not all medical schools to start in 2016. I know for some dental schools they start in July so you might want to check that for whatever medical schools you are applying to. Even if you could start early by going to the 1 year program, I'd still do the 2 year program. You need to beef up your EC's/Volunteer and shadowing hours. I'm assuming you don't have any of those since you are a career changer.

I also agree with the 2-year option for the reasons listed above, but also because (based on what you've said) your relationship seems very serious to you. Going through a post-bacc as a career changer is going to be hard, and being long distance is going to make that path for you even harder. Having someone nearby who can support you, listen while you vent, etc...trust me, you're REALLY going to need that. Additionally, taking time to fly out to Boston from DC periodically is going to affect your studying, and there's the added stress of airport-related hassles. While a lot of people wouldn't support you working while doing a post-bacc, if you're able to work while maintaining good grades in your program, I would go for it; it might give you some relief from all that studying, and it's always nice to have cash coming in :)

All in all, it seems like your "Pros" list for HES is way better than for Georgetown. In the grand scheme of things, saving an extra year isn't worth an extra $17k and all of the other stress you might go through.

Last edited:
Thanks for the opinions guys. I've decided to do the HES program. My undergrad major was Mechanical Engineering at a competitive school, with a GPA of 3.2. I also stayed for a masters, with a GPA of 3.4.