SCCO vs WesternU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which school is better: WesternU or SCCO?

• Total voters

Food4ever

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I know that this question has been asked many times but most of them are old (2011-2012). What are your thoughts on which school is better (SCCO or WesternU)? WesternU has recently gained accreditation so they are both at the same level in terms of accredited. However, SCCO has been around longer and has a more established reputation. I am trying to decide between the two schools, do you guys have any thoughts? Thank you in advance for your help

Members don't see this ad.

SCCO is a great school, and has the history to back it up. When I interviewed there, it seemed that the staff, faculty, and students are all really there to help you. They have top-notch clinical facilities, even containing specific rooms for certain specialties. Also, they recently installed an exact replica of the NBEO exam room where everyone has to take their boards (the real testing facility is located somewhere on the east coast), so that you can practice on the exact equipment you will be using when testing for your boards. That is a real plus because passing your boards is essential, and this room can only help! I also liked how their campus is open late and you have the facilities to practice your skills in available most of the time. I didn't even apply to Western because I thought SCCO was a better school in my opinion (I work with several doctors who are graduated from there, and they are all very intelligent, accomplished, and caring doctors). But of course, I have no real experience with Western, so I am sure they have some pros also! I would just have more confidence in my education at SCCO over Western.

Western is where Californians go when they get rejected by Berkeley & SCCO, not by choice.

Members don't see this ad :)
Western is where Californians go when they get rejected by Berkeley & SCCO, not by choice.

Although this is clearly hyperbole, I agree with the basic sentiment. I don't have much experience with Western's optometry program, but my best friend attended Veterinarian school there. Nothing about it impressed me. I didn't bother applying there.

If you don't know anyone who goes to Western I think it's easy to talk like this. I go to Western and I scored in the 98.5 percentile on the OAT with a similarly high GPA and there are PLENTY of people there smarter than me. Fine, SCCO is a better school but let's keep it in perspective a bit.