Schedule II Script - What can be changed?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aboveliquidice

No sacrifice - No victory
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was under the impression that a CII can be changed in the same manner as CIII-V.

Meaning you can add or change addy w/o consult.
With consult, you can change form, strength, quantity, and directions.
You can never change pt name, drug, or physician signature.

Is this correct? I was reading that the Dec 19th, 2007 ruling stated you couldn't change the "essential" aspects of a CII script, but I have not seen this in practice.

Members don't see this ad.

I was under the impression that a CII can be changed in the same manner as CIII-V.

Is this correct? I was reading that the Dec 19th, 2007 ruling stated you couldn't change the "essential" aspects of a CII script, but I have not seen this in practice.

Per the DEA...yes...but look to see if the laws in the state you are transferring to aren't any stricter.

:smuggrin:

Two boyz feverishly studying for TX MPJE!

Unfortunately I don't know the answer.

Members don't see this ad :)
Per the DEA...yes...but look to see if the laws in the state you are transferring to aren't any stricter.

This ruling jacked everything up... WTF were they thinking?

Check this out - does anyone know if this is active?

Interim Rule as of 3/31/2010, effective 6/1/2010
Electronic prescriptions for controlled substances will be allowed via electronic prescribing and must meet multiple DEA standards and safeguards
Pharmacies can receive, dispense and archive
Previous requirement for “written or oral”

When did the rule allowing 90-day C-II scripts on postdated scripts become legal? The 2009 Law study guide I have said it wasn't allowed...but I looked at the online regs about a week ago and now its apparently legal.

This **** really is confusing. :laugh:

When did the rule allowing 90-day C-II scripts on postdated scripts become legal? The 2009 Law study guide I have said it wasn't allowed...but I looked at the online regs about a week ago and now its apparently legal.

Same ruling - Dec 19th, 2007

No 106° on the East Coast!

Perfect day to go blueberry picking...bake a buckle to bring to work tomorrow, and enjoy a glass of wine! :love:

img6886d.jpg

These new rules are hard to find access to...with TXBOP's litany of broken links and disorganization.

I liked this one:

Effective January 1, 2011, the written information accompanying the prescription or the prescription label shall contain the statement "Do not flush unused medications or pour down a sink or drain." A drug product on a list developed by the Federal Food and Drug Administration of medicines recommended for disposal by flushing is not required to bear this statement.

So whenever I take, say, Augmentin, am I not allowed to go number 1 in the toilet?

Reactions: 1 user
Oh man...it's insanely hot... my lawn is turning brown. It's so hot, no one is swimming.

But that thing you baked looks good. You wouldn't have to put it in the oven here..just leave it in my car.

Perfect day to go blueberry picking...bake a buckle to bring to work tomorrow, and enjoy a glass of wine! :love:

img6886d.jpg

Can you make me one for lunch tomorrow? :laugh: :D

I could invite some girls from my school and we could eat while talking about our work experiences from this summer :laugh:

Oh, and http://pharmacymike.blogspot.com/2008/03/cii-prescriptions.html

I used to know that pretty much the only things that had to be 100% correct were the patient's name, the name of the medication being prescribed, and the prescribers signature. Otherwise, a pharmacist, after obtaining clarification from the office, could change the date written, quantity prescribed, and directions.

http://www.ascp.com/advocacy/dea/news.cfm
September 21, 2009
DEA Answers The Question: What Changes May A Pharmacist Make To A CII Prescription Drug Order?
During ASCP's recent webinar -- DEA and Long-Term Care: "You want me to do what?" Practical Answers to Real World Challenges -- many participants had questions regarding what changes a pharmacist can make to CII prescription after it has been signed by the prescriber. In researching the issue further, ASCP obtained a copy of a DEA "Dear Colleague" letter, dated October 15, 2008 that provides some additional guidance. Specifically, the letter acknowledges that DEA's written guidance documents are in conflict and a cause for confusion. DEA goes on to state that it plans to resolve this matter through future rulemaking. However, "ntil that time, pharmacists are instructed to adhere to state regulations or policy regarding those changes that a pharmacist may make to a schedule II prescription after oral consultation with the prescriber." DEA has never issued any further rulemaking on this issue. Therefore, as stated above, pharmacists need to follow state regulations and policy regarding additions and changes to schedule II prescription drug orders.

In Texas you cannot change drug name, patient name, prescriber name, or date. Everything else is fair game.

Why would I want to meet a bunch of girls from your school? :eyebrow:

I can tell you that having been a preceptor of his school from 1996 to 2003, it would be worthwhile for a boy to meet a bunch of girls from his school...

Members don't see this ad :)
This is useless to me.

Where do all the nice man boys go?

On a golf course.

So, I've had a mancrush for Freddy Couples since 1987... he came oh so close to winning the Senior US Open today..in Seattle to boot.

And two of my metrosexual golf buddies have converted to the Euro look of "white" belt, without the buckle. What say you?

gaybackspin.jpg

I gotta find me some of these pants!! :thumbup:

ianpoulterswingsequence.jpg

LOL, I would get kicked off the buddies golf outing with that pants.

But I'm doing the belt thing. I'm sure I'll be harassed a bunch.

Q. Is post-dating of multiple prescriptions allowed? A. No. Federal regulations have always required that all prescriptions for controlled substances "be dated as of, and signed on, the day when issued." 21 CFR 1306.05(a).

All of you answers can be found here....

Also:

Question: What changes may a pharmacist make to a prescription written for a controlled substance in schedule II?
Answer: On November 19, 2007, the DEA published in the Federal Register (FR) the Final Rule entitled Issuance of Multiple Prescriptions for Schedule II Controlled Substances (72 FR 64921). In the preamble to that Rule, DEA stated that "the essential elements of the [schedule II] prescription written by the practitioner (such as the name of the controlled substance, strength, dosage form, and quantity prescribed)…may not be modified orally."
The instructions contained in the Rule's preamble are in opposition to DEA's previous policy which permitted the same changes a pharmacist may make to schedules III-V controlled substance prescriptions after oral consultation with the prescriber. DEA recognizes the resultant confusion regarding this conflict and plans to resolve this matter through a future rulemaking. Until that time, pharmacists are instructed to adhere to state regulations or policy regarding those changes that a pharmacist may make to a schedule II prescription after oral consultation with the prescriber.

Q. Is post-dating of multiple prescriptions allowed? A. No. Federal regulations have always required that all prescriptions for controlled substances "be dated as of, and signed on, the day when issued." 21 CFR 1306.05(a).

All of you answers can be found here....

Also:

Question: What changes may a pharmacist make to a prescription written for a controlled substance in schedule II?
Answer: On November 19, 2007, the DEA published in the Federal Register (FR) the Final Rule entitled Issuance of Multiple Prescriptions for Schedule II Controlled Substances (72 FR 64921). In the preamble to that Rule, DEA stated that "the essential elements of the [schedule II] prescription written by the practitioner (such as the name of the controlled substance, strength, dosage form, and quantity prescribed)…may not be modified orally."
The instructions contained in the Rule's preamble are in opposition to DEA's previous policy which permitted the same changes a pharmacist may make to schedules III-V controlled substance prescriptions after oral consultation with the prescriber. DEA recognizes the resultant confusion regarding this conflict and plans to resolve this matter through a future rulemaking. Until that time, pharmacists are instructed to adhere to state regulations or policy regarding those changes that a pharmacist may make to a schedule II prescription after oral consultation with the prescriber.

Don't beat us down old man... we figured it out - eventually :cool:

It's pretty interesting that they noted the trainwreck of confusion though.

img6886d.jpg

Any special wine?

By the way as you know by now, top that baby with vanilla ice cream and little bit of the drizzle and you're good to go....

I think the 90 day is fine as long as there's a code. We have a pt (who has lost a limb) who gets 90 DS of percocet; it's fine as long as his script is code D(amn that hurts).

If a practitioner makes a mistake on an official prescription form, he/she can cross out and initial the error.

True: The practitioner is not required to issue a new official prescription form if he/she makes an error when writing the prescription. The practitioner should be aware that, in most situations, the pharmacist will call the practitioner to verify the alteration. Should the situation arise, a practitioner can authorize the pharmacist to change all prescription information except for practitioner signature, date written, patient name, drug name and strength. A practitioner may authorize a pharmacist to change the prescribed quantity, but may not authorize a pharmacist to add a quantity if it is missing from the prescription.

http://www.health.state.ny.us/publications/1477/

Any special wine?

By the way as you know by now, top that baby with vanilla ice cream and little bit of the drizzle and you're good to go....

Had a glass of the pinot noir that I also opened Friday night (one of the ladies wanted to try that). It was fantastic!

I'll give you a recap shortly...but everything was great. On a side note though, no drizzle for the blueberry buckle. Bringing it to work for a potluck, so they're going to have to miss out!

If a practitioner makes a mistake on an official prescription form, he/she can cross out and initial the error.

True: The practitioner is not required to issue a new official prescription form if he/she makes an error when writing the prescription. The practitioner should be aware that, in most situations, the pharmacist will call the practitioner to verify the alteration. Should the situation arise, a practitioner can authorize the pharmacist to change all prescription information except for practitioner signature, date written, patient name, drug name and strength. A practitioner may authorize a pharmacist to change the prescribed quantity, but may not authorize a pharmacist to add a quantity if it is missing from the prescription.

http://www.health.state.ny.us/publications/1477/

That is for NY buckaroo - not Feds...

You're allowed to catch them and take them back to Maryland???:confused:

Had a glass of the pinot noir that I also opened Friday night (one of the ladies wanted to try that). It was fantastic!

I'll give you a recap shortly...but everything was great. On a side note though, no drizzle for the blueberry buckle. Bringing it to work for a potluck, so they're going to have to miss out!

Where is BMBiology when you need him - I've been threadjacked:(

lol threadjack police!

Discussing food and wine and especially desert wine does not constitute thread jacking.

That is for NY buckaroo - not Feds...
Right, and our rules are probably the most strict in the nation. So if we let you do it, you can probably do it anywhere.

Hell, we treat benzo's like they're almost CIIs... no refills, no more than an emergency 5 day dispensing over the phone.

Thanks everyone for the clues, so, I researched and found:
For DEA, as of 10-18-2013, DEA still says: ASK STATE.

Evidence:
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
QUOTE FROM: DEA WEB SITE:
http://www.deadiversion.usdoj.gov/faq/prescriptions.htm#rx-7

QUOTE STARTED:
The instructions contained in the Rule's preamble are in opposition to DEA's previous policy which permitted the same changes a pharmacist may make to schedules III-V controlled substance prescriptions after oral consultation with the prescriber. DEA recognizes the resultant confusion regarding this conflict and plans to resolve this matter through a future rulemaking. Until that time, pharmacists are instructed to adhere to state regulations or policy regarding those changes that a pharmacist may make to a schedule II prescription after oral consultation with the prescriber. (Policy Letter)
Therefore, when information is missing from or needs to be changed on a schedule II controlled substance prescription, DEA expects pharmacists to use their professional judgment and knowledge of state and federal laws and policies to decide whether it is appropriate to make changes to that prescription.

QUOTE ENDED.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Okay, DEA wrote that we should ASK STATE.
My state is California, so, if you want to know about California, this is for you to please discuss:

After researching, I believe: only after talking to prescriber, then, pharmacist can fix error on C2 paper.
What can we fix? Except DATE AND SIGNATURE, pharmacist can fix the rest.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Evidence:
QUOTE FROM: CALIFORNIA BOARD OF PHARMACY:
http://www.pharmacy.ca.gov/licensing/prescribe_dispense.shtml
QUOTE STARTED:
It appears that a pharmacist's ability to correct an error or errors on a Schedule II prescription is eliminated on January 1, 2005, is that true?

No, as of July 1, 2004, Health and Safety Code section 11164, subdivision (a)(5) allows a pharmacist to fill a Schedule II prescription containing errors if the pharmacist notifies the prescriber of the errors and the prescriber approves any correction. The prescriber must fax or mail a corrected prescription to the pharmacist within 7 days of the drug being dispensed. As of January 1, 2005, a Schedule II prescription containing errors should be handled as any other prescription that is uncertain, unclear, and/or ambiguous: the pharmacist must contact the prescriber to obtain the information to validate the prescription (Title 16 of the California Code of Regulations section 1761, subdivision (a).)

QUOTE ENDED.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

So, I went to read Law Book of California, which is a collection of many laws from many different sources for California.
That means: you do not have to look for Health and Safety Code. Why? Health and Safety Code is already in Law book of California, just look inside Law book of California.

That also means: you do not have to look for California Code of Regulations. Why? California Code of Regulations is already in Law book of California, just look inside Law book of California.

So, where is Law book of California? At the web page of Board of Pharmacy for California, link is here: HTTP://WWW.PHARMACY.CA.GOV/LAWS_REGS/LAWBOOK.PDF.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
For version 2013, at page 176, I found CALIFORNIA CODE OF REGULATIONS, TITLE 16, ARTICLE 8, SECTION 1761, SUBDIVISION (A).

QUOTE STARTED:
1761. Erroneous or Uncertain Prescriptions.
(a) No pharmacist shall compound or dispense any prescription which contains any significant error, omission, irregularity, uncertainty, ambiguity or alteration. Upon receipt of any such prescription, the pharmacist shall contact the prescriber to obtain the information needed to validate the prescription.
(b) Even after conferring with the prescriber, a pharmacist shall not compound or dispense a controlled substance prescription where the pharmacist knows or has objective reason to know that said prescription was not issued for a legitimate medical purpose.
Authority cited: Section 4005, Business and Professions Code. Reference: Section 4005, Business and Professions Code; and Section 11153, Health and Safety Code.

QUOTE ENDED.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Then, for version 2013, at page 273, I found Health and Safety Code section 11164.
Why is this important?
Remember California Pharmacy Board wrote:

"It appears that a pharmacist's ability to correct an error or errors on a Schedule II prescription is eliminated on January 1, 2005, is that true?

No, as of July 1, 2004, Health and Safety Code section 11164, subdivision (a)(5) allows a pharmacist to fill a Schedule II prescription containing errors if the pharmacist notifies the prescriber of the errors and the prescriber approves any correction. The prescriber must fax or mail a corrected prescription to the pharmacist within 7 days of the drug being dispensed. As of January 1, 2005, a Schedule II prescription containing errors should be handled as any other prescription that is uncertain, unclear, and/or ambiguous: the pharmacist must contact the prescriber to obtain the information to validate the prescription (Title 16 of the California Code of Regulations section 1761, subdivision (a).)"

I was curious: After January 1, 2005, do we still have Health and Safety Code section 11164, subdivision (a)(5)?
Guess what? Health and Safety Code section 11164, subdivision (a)(5) was removed. You can only find Health and Safety Code section 11164, subdivision (a)(1), then,(a)(2). Then, subdivision (b) started. No more subdivision (a)(5)
What does it mean?
It means you can cross out this below words because they do not exist any more:
as of July 1, 2004, Health and Safety Code section 11164, subdivision (a)(5) allows a pharmacist to fill a Schedule II prescription containing errors if the pharmacist notifies the prescriber of the errors and the prescriber approves any correction. The prescriber must fax or mail a corrected prescription to the pharmacist within 7 days of the drug being dispensed.

What does it REALLY MEAN?
Most important for me is:
The prescriber DO NOT must fax or mail a corrected prescription to the pharmacist within 7 days of the drug being dispensed.

So, thank you very following me in this presentation of my evidences to support my practice:
If C2 paper has error, after I talk with prescriber, I can fix most of the paper.
Except: I can not fix date for doctor.
Except: I can not fix signature for doctor.

Why pharmacist can not fix date and signature?
Evidence:
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
QUOTE FROM: CALIFORNIA BOARD OF PHARMACY:
http://www.pharmacy.ca.gov/licensing/prescribe_dispense.shtml
QUOTE STARTED:
Can a pharmacist fill a prescription for a controlled substance if an error is found on the prescription?
The prescriber's signature and the date written are required to be written by the prescriber. Everything else can be written by the prescriber or his or her agent. Therefore, the pharmacist can make changes to any other information on the prescription as long as the pharmacist verifies the change with the prescriber first.
QUOTE ENDED
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
In summary:
DEA wrote: ask state.
State wrote: call doctor, and then fix. Doctor does not have to send any new paper.

What do you think? Agree? Discussion? Teach me.....Thank you very much in advance.....

Last edited:
Agreed and here are some Questions ans Answers from the Script of 2011 which shows how the Board of Pharmacy in California expects:

Page 15 of the Script has this exact quotes:

Q. If there is an error or omission on a CII prescription, can
the pharmacist call the prescriber to orally change or
add the necessary information onto the prescription? Or
does the pharmacist have to send the prescription back to
the physician to make the necessary changes, or write a
new prescription?

A. Title 16, CCR 1716 and 1761, relating to deviating from
the requirements of a prescription and errors/omissions
on a prescription, do not address whether to send the
prescription back to the physician for a new prescription in
such instances. They do, however, require the pharmacist
to obtain prior consent of the physician before making any
change to the prescription. The Board recommends that the
pharmacist note the conversation with the physician on the
back of the prescription, and enter the changes on the front
as one possible method of documentation.

Q. What does the pharmacist do upon receiving a Schedule
II prescription on which the prescriber has omitted the
quantity or has written the wrong strength?

A. Section 1716, Title 16 of the California Code of Regulations
(CCR) prohibits the pharmacist from deviating from the
requirements of a prescription except upon the prior consent
of the prescriber. Further, section 1761 does not permit a
pharmacist to compound or dispense any (emphasis added)
prescription which contains any signifi cant error,
omission, irregularity, uncertainty, ambiguity or
alteration. Upon receipt of such prescription,
the pharmacist must contact the prescriber
to obtain the information needed to
validate the prescription.

Q If a physician prescribes MS Contin 30mg qty 60 1
bid, can the pharmacist call the physician and request
to change the prescription to Kadian 30mg qty 60 1
bid without requesting a new prescription? And if the
physician authorizes this change over the phone and
the pharmacist documents the conversation with the
physician for this change on the original prescription, is
all pharmacy law fulfilled?

A. The answer to both questions is yes. After you have
discussed changing the prescription with the prescriber and
received permission to do so, the change can be made on the
prescription, and no new prescription is required. The Board
recommends documenting the discussion with the prescriber,
including the receipt of consent, on the prescription.
(CCR 1716 and B&PC 4073)

the Script is attached for reference

Attachments

• 11_jul_script,p.15,C2, after talking to prescriber, pharmacist can fix paper then fill.pdf
    616 KB · Views: 83
TEXAS State Board of Pharmacy... Everything is BIGGER and BETTER in TEXAS....

TEXAS STATE BOARD OF PHARMACY
333 Guadalupe Street Suite 3-600 Austin, Texas 78701-3943 512-305-8000(voice) 512-305-8082(fax)
CHANGES TO SCHEDULE II PRESCRIPTIONS
Recently adopted rules for multiple Schedule II prescriptions by the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) appear to conflict with a long standing DEA policy regarding what a pharmacist may change on a Schedule II prescription after consultation with the prescribing practitioner. Because of this confusion, DEA issued a letter on October 15, 2008, that contains the following statement:
“DEA recognizes the Resultant Confusion regarding this conflict and plans to resolve this matter through a future rule making. Until that time, pharmacists are instructed to adhere to state regulations or policy regarding those changes that a pharmacist may make to a schedule II prescription after oral consultation with the prescriber.”
Representatives of the Texas State Board of Pharmacy (TSBP) met with representatives of the Texas Department of Public Safety (DPS) on October 31, 2008, and have agreed that the following four (4) items on a Schedule II prescription MAY NOT BE CHANGED. Name of the patient Name of the drug Name of the prescribing physician Date of the prescription
Any other item, such as the strength of the drug, quantity of the drug, and directions for use, MAY BE CHANGED PROVIDED, the pharmacist:
(1) contacts the prescribing physician and obtains verbal permission for the change; and
(2) documents on the prescription the following information:
(a) change that was authorized;
(b) name or initials of the individual granting the authorization; and
(c) initials of the pharmacist.

Attachments

• TSBP Changes to CII Scripts.pdf
    26.5 KB · Views: 73
TEXAS State Board of Pharmcy... Everything is BIGGER and BETTER in TEXAS....

TEXAS STATE BOARD OF PHARMACY
333 Guadalupe Street Suite 3-600 Austin, Texas 78701-3943 512-305-8000(voice) 512-305-8082(fax)
CHANGES TO SCHEDULE II PRESCRIPTIONS
Recently adopted rules for multiple Schedule II prescriptions by the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) appear to conflict with a long standing DEA policy regarding what a pharmacist may change on a Schedule II prescription after consultation with the prescribing practitioner. Because of this confusion, DEA issued a letter on October 15, 2008, that contains the following statement:
“DEA recognizes the Resultant Confusion regarding this conflict and plans to resolve this matter through a future rule making. Until that time, pharmacists are instructed to adhere to state regulations or policy regarding those changes that a pharmacist may make to a schedule II prescription after oral consultation with the prescriber.”
Representatives of the Texas State Board of Pharmacy (TSBP) met with representatives of the Texas Department of Public Safety (DPS) on October 31, 2008, and have agreed that the following four (4) items on a Schedule II prescription MAY NOT BE CHANGED. Name of the patient Name of the drug Name of the prescribing physician Date of the prescription
Any other item, such as the strength of the drug, quantity of the drug, and directions for use, MAY BE CHANGED PROVIDED, the pharmacist:
(1) contacts the prescribing physician and obtains verbal permission for the change; and
(2) documents on the prescription the following information:
(a) change that was authorized;
(b) name or initials of the individual granting the authorization; and
(c) initials of the pharmacist.

Sorry for TYPO; "TEXAS State Board of Pharmacy... Everything is BIGGER and BETTER in TEXAS....

You cannot change 4 things. Pt name doctor name, date, and the drug ..like from morphine to codeine without getting a new script. Everything is fair game assuming you done your RPh corresponding responsibility

I read you can change date of issuance, you just can't change Patient name, Drug or Doctor's signature.

So can you change Adderall to Adderall XR or is that changing the drug?

No you can do that. In CA, here's the law from BOP. Only the prescriber's signature and date MUST be right. Everything else is fair game.

Can a pharmacist fill a prescription for a controlled substance if an error is found on the prescription?
The prescriber’s signature and the date written are required to be written by the prescriber. Everything else can be written by the prescriber or his or her agent. Therefore, the pharmacist can make changes to any other information on the prescription as long as the pharmacist verifies the change with the prescriber first.

Seems like Minnesota is more strict, but it does say the DEA defers to the states on this issue so we may all have different rules on this.

The pharmacist may add or change the patient’s address upon verification. The pharmacist may add or change the dosage form, drug strength, drug quantity, directions for use, or issue date only after consultation with and with the agreement of the prescribing practitioner. Such consultations and corresponding changes should be noted by the pharmacist on the prescription. The pharmacist may add the DEA number of the prescriber upon determining that the prescription is legally valid. The pharmacist is never permitted to make changes to the patient’s name, controlled substance prescribed (except for generic substitution permitted by state law) or the prescriber’s signature.

So can you change Adderall to Adderall XR or is that changing the drug?

That to me, sounds like changing the drug. I actually had this come up this past weekend. Does anyone else know the correct answer to this?

Also, can the date of birth of the patient be added to, or changed, on a CII without consulting with the prescriber? I've had a lot of controlled scripts brought in that have no birthdays. Does it really matter what the birthday is as long as the first and last name of the patient are provided on the script? My state laws don't mention nothing about it. Another reminder that people who write the pharmacy law books have probably never worked behind a pharmacy counter. :shrug:

Also, can the date of birth of the patient be added to, or changed, on a CII without consulting with the prescriber? I've had a lot of controlled scripts brought in that have no birthdays. Does it really matter what the birthday is as long as the first and last name of the patient are provided on the script? My state laws don't mention nothing about it. Another reminder that people who write the pharmacy law books have probably never worked behind a pharmacy counter. :shrug:

Honestly I'd just start sending them back, you're not their secretary and it's not your job to fix their mistakes and break laws in order to fill their scripts.