Scheduling desired field as first 3rd yr clerkship - Pros vs. Cons

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HebrewHammer08

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am in the midst of figuring out my 3rd year schedule. I am fairly sure I want to go into surgery and have the following two options regarding first semester:

o Surgery - Family Med - Medicine
o Medicine - Family Med - Surgery

I know EVERYONE warns to never schedule your desired field first, but I wondered the following things:

1. Wouldn't it be nice to be the ONE person in a group who is interested in surgery. Maybe I would get to be more active if everyone else is disinterested.

2. I realized the shelves involve a lot of Medicine... but isn't everyone in the same boat? And isn't it curved?

3. If it turns out I hate surgery, I think it'd rather find that out as early in the year as possible.

Any thoughts would be great. I need to decide by tomorrow morning. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I am in the midst of figuring out my 3rd year schedule. I am fairly sure I want to go into surgery and have the following two options regarding first semester:

I know EVERYONE warns to never schedule your desired field first, but I wondered the following things:

1. Wouldn't it be nice to be the ONE person in a group who is interested in surgery. Maybe I would get to be more active if everyone else is disinterested.

2. I realized the shelves involve a lot of Medicine... but isn't everyone in the same boat? And isn't it curved?

3. If it turns out I hate surgery, I think it'd rather find that out as early in the year as possible.

bad idea.

1. Being the only person in a group interested in surgery wouldn't be the worst thing, but you can still get plenty of attention being one of two. Chances are that you're not going to be in a flock of surgery gunners no matter when you take it. You don't have to take surgery first to be the only interested guy in your group.

2. the shelf exam is standardized to be consistent across examinations, not just the single testing. This means that everyone tanks the first one... not that everyone sucks on the first one and they adjust for the suckitude. Don't expect it to pull any punches, you'll likely have issues adjusting to the pacing and the foreign material. I wouldn't take it first.

3. Finding out you hate surgery early is good, but you can still do it as your second or third rotation and have PLENTY of time to figure out what you're going to do.

Suggestion. I'd do something like OB first if that's a possibility. It would give you time in the OR so you can get acclimated to the environment. You'll also get those weeks where you're totally clueless out of the way so you've at least got some idea what you're doing. Then you've also got a shelf exam to practice on before you get hit with the surgery shelf.

If you want to go straight into surgery after that, then go ahead. At least you've gotten your feet wet. Although, if I was going to gun for surgery, I'd honestly do medicine, then OB, then surgery.

I would keep in mind that most attendings (or residents for that matter)don't really follow the academic calender very closely, nor do they care. If your presentations aren't good (they won't be if it's your first rotation), they won't be lenient just because it's your first rotation. Ditto for your knowledge base...most won't know or care what rotation it is for you. Some surgeons don't even know if you're a third year or a fourth year, so don't expect to get a free pass in terms of your evaluations just because it's your first rotation. Third year is really unfair in terms of the subjectiveness of the grading, and you'll find this out quickly.

In terms of being the only one on your rotation being intersted in surgery, you can't guarantee that, and most students tend to be really hard working on their first few rotations. Peds was my first rotation, and I knew that I had zero interest in Peds, but I definitely put in the most work on that rotation in terms of hours, just because I was still learning the system. On your first rotation, you'll be too busy learning basic stuff for the first week - how to write notes, how to present, even simple stuff like using the phone is actually more daunting than you realize.

In terms of the shelf, yes it's curved, but it's my understanding that the curve isn't based on rotation order or when you take it during the third year. I think it's graded like other standardized exams (ie Step 1). My first shelf was definitely my worst....I wasn't use to working the long hours, and then coming home and studying. Plus, I wasn't used to the time crunch during the actual exam, either. I'm a pretty fast reader, and I've never run out of time on a test until I took my first third year shelf. People will tell warn you that time is an issue, but you honestly just can't guage it until you take your first exam.

I would DEFINITELY do medicine before surgery. That is an absolute no-brainer. Not only will it help you for the shelf (yes, a lot of the surgery shelf is medicine related), but I thought my medicine rotation really tied everything together and made me a better medical student. My shelf exam scores went up quite a bit after medicine, and I learned a ton on that rotation. Plus, you have to keep in mind that even if you take surgery third, half of your class still won't have taken medicine yet, so you'll still be ahead in terms of knowledge.

Finally, in terms of finding out whether or not you want to do surgery, I think it would benefit you more to do it later. When I told surgeons that I wanted to go into surgery, they would usually ask me "why?" I wouldn't have been able to answer that question at the beginning of my third year, but by the time I reached my surgery rotation, I had a few things under my belt that I could mention. Also, if you really are thinking about going into surgery, you're going to need letters of recommendation. There's a better chance of them remembering you, as well as them taking you more seriously if you do it later in the year. If you decide surgery isn't for you, either way you have to do the rotation, so I don't see the benefit of doing it first.

If I were in your position, I would go Family Practice, Medicine, Surgery. I know going medicine to surgery back to back is extremely grueling, but you'll have the benefit of having just finisheding medicine, so studying for that surgery shelf won't be as bad.

Going back, if I could do my ideal schedule, I would go in this order -

1.Peds - similar to IM, but for kids. Good rotation to learn how things. Was good for me because I had zero interest and there was no way I would have studied enough to honor anyway.

2. Ob-gyn - you actually get some surgical experience here. I would try to do a gyn-onc rotation if possible, because a lot of what they do is surgical. If you have cool residents you can learn to suture and tie, which will make your surgery rotation a lot more fun.

3. Medicine - this is where I got the big picture and things kind of clicked. I really started to understand how doctors are supposed to think. This rotation is extremely resident dependent, in my opinion. I learned a lot, and thought about medicine, but I can't handle rounding for 3-4 hours.

4. Surgery - personally, if you want to go into surgery, I think this is the best place to schedule it. By this time, you'll have an idea of what's going on, and you can accurately figure out whether you like it or not because you'll have things to compare it to. Plus you won't be too burned out at this time of year, and you'll have gotten the hang of how to study for the shelf exams by this time.

Thats my 2 cents.

Members don't see this ad :)

You want to go into Surgery?

If so, here's your list of advantages of doing Surgery as your first rotation:

Pros:
1.)

I did surgery first and (at the time) wanted to go into it.

Poor decision, me.

I would keep in mind that most attendings (or residents for that matter)don't really follow the academic calender very closely, nor do they care. If your presentations aren't good (they won't be if it's your first rotation), they won't be lenient just because it's your first rotation. Ditto for your knowledge base...most won't know or care what rotation it is for you. Some surgeons don't even know if you're a third year or a fourth year, so don't expect to get a free pass in terms of your evaluations just because it's your first rotation. Third year is really unfair in terms of the subjectiveness of the grading, and you'll find this out quickly.

I second this. I did surgery second (after Peds), was the only one interested in surg in my group, and busted my butt the entire rotation. Received great remarks about my attitude and work ethic, but got a near honors because of... gaps in my knowledge base, being slightly timid on rounds, not able to well differentiate important information during patient presentations. You know, things we all struggle with at the beginning of third year. I got no slack despite it being my second rotation, and definitely feel like I would have been able to shine better if I had another rotation or two under my belt to spiff myself up.

Plus you may want to pick up a letter during the rotation, and third year students are notoriously forgettable to surgeons. Most attendings will want you to remind them about you and send them a CV in June or so before they'll write it, and if its been nearly a whole year since they've worked with you, they may not remember much if anything about you. Which translates into a weak letter.

I would recommend having surg done by the spring if you want to try to match into it though. By then, you should be networking for residency applications, looking into aways, etc. Those sort of connections are best made when you rotate through, so make sure it doesn't get TOO late in third year without you having done your rotation.

As a rule of thumb, I generally tell people to make sure that their rotation in their field of choice isn't their first two or last two. First two, you risk not being spiffed and experienced enough to land the honors. Last two and its too late in the year and you'll be really scrambling to network, plus you run the risk of hating what you thought you'd love.

Last edited:
Sorry to derail the thread a bit, but I was curious about some advice I received from a surgical resident. I too am very interested in surgery and asked the resident when the best time to do my surgical rotation was. He said to wait until after November or December because by then, all the 4th years doing away rotations and sub-I's will be done so I would have a better chance for exposure to the field. What is the general consensus on this theory? I would prefer to have as realistic experience in surgery as I can because I am planning on doing this for the next 30-40 years. I really want to see if this is the right field for me, granted I won't pick my rotation schedule until September. Thanks

Sorry to derail the thread a bit, but I was curious about some advice I received from a surgical resident. I too am very interested in surgery and asked the resident when the best time to do my surgical rotation was. He said to wait until after November or December because by then, all the 4th years doing away rotations and sub-I's will be done so I would have a better chance for exposure to the field. What is the general consensus on this theory? I would prefer to have as realistic experience in surgery as I can because I am planning on doing this for the next 30-40 years. I really want to see if this is the right field for me, granted I won't pick my rotation schedule until September. Thanks

This theory doesn't conflict with what was said above, it's just another reason to NOT do surgery too early. I'd strongly recommend waiting until november/december/january/feb because:

1- Interns, mid-level residents, and seniors will NOT be new at what they do. Once they are comfortable with their responsibilities, they are more useful as teacher.
2- You won't have to compete with M4's and visiting students for cool cases.
3- You will have a much broader knowledge base (and be more comfortable in the clinical setting), and much more likely to impress your superiors and do well on the shelf.
4- If you do your surgery rotation early in the year and love it so much, it will be very, very hard for you to show/fake enthusiasm in subsequent rotations that you are less interested in.

I did surgery first because prior to starting I didn't think I was interested in it at all. It ended up not being a bad thing. I got good evals and don't think I did badly on the shelf (don't have score back yet). At my school, most attendings will ask where you are in school and adjust their expectations accordingly. Now, I feel like I have all the time in the world to maximize electives and scheduling prior to residency application time.

Maybe, having surgery first is not ideal for the reasons above posters have mentioned, but it still can be manageable if you study hard for the shelf from the beginning and work hard on your rotation. At my school, we have little control over rotation scheduling (we submit preferences and the registrar decides), so freaking out about it is just counterproductive.

Last edited:
Definitely agree with puting your interest a few rotations down the line. It takes a rotation or two to get the flow of things, writing notes, interpreting labs, etc the correct way and figure out what is important. If surgery is what you want to do, I suggest doing IM first since the surgery shelf is a lot of medicine.

I was forced to make a similar choice, and I am stuck with surgery first. Luckily, I don't want to go into surgery, but I'm still dreading it.