School counselor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Thegreat06

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am new to department. I am attending college at this time and will transfer to university soon, so I know that I want to be a school counselor ( work with young adults, and adolescent) and work at school enviroment so I will pursue psychology
I need some advices about this major. I know that I need at least master degree( in most state) to find a job.
But what is the most challenge while you attend in school, is it easy to find job after graduated?? How's competitive of the enviroment??

Members don't see this ad.

There was a school counseling program where I got my MS. I strongly advise against taking this path - everyone I knew in the program had a lot of trouble finding a job (in a state where there's a mandated counselor to student ratio for public schools); those who did find a job it was usually not one they wanted and only tangentially related to their degree (e.g. working in college admissions). Factor in that you've got a pretty limited scope of practice when you graduate and it's a tough sell. I also had a former supervisor who started as a school counselor and went back to get a different degree because they were doing more career planning and course selection than traditional counseling work; this was also the experience many people I knew had when they had practicum/internship placements.

If you're interested in doing therapy exclusively you can get a different master's level degree like a LCSW or LMHC that still gives the opportunity to work with children and adolescents without having such limited career opportunities.