MD School list help - 3.75 GPA 29 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JHoping

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I was wondering if I could get some advice as to where to apply? That would be really really helpful! Thank you so much! Here is some info about me:

Florida resident. URM (born in Mexico) and woman if that matters...
3.75 cGPA, 3.68 sGPA - Biochemistry
MCAT: took it once last year and got a 29 (73%). Took the new one and preliminary percentile ranks say my new score falls between 70-80% (I think this is what is my real downfall in my application)

Research
Over 1000 hours in a molecular biology lab. Two manuscripts are being prepared for submission with my name on them and I have been to a conference where I presented a poster. My name has also been in posters presented at major conferences in the country.

Clinical Volunteering
80+ hours in a hospital
Medical mission trip to Ghana
Organized a soccer clinic for autistic children

Non-clinical volunteering
I was a tutor for middle school children
Volunteered in Rome playing basketball with children at a church

Leadership
Co- founded two clubs and was president and vice-president
Chosen by the deans to represent school at fundraising and recruiting events
President of soccer club

Other
300+ hours of shadowing (some in foreign countries)
Intern at medical school's dean office
Teaching assistant for freshman biology course
Studied abroad in Rome
I like to paint and draw

I really want to apply to MD schools this cycle. Any suggestions would be of so much help!
Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Being mexican will help. Honestly, yes your MCAT score is really the only issue with your application but it isn't detrimental to MD schools and certainly you are a great applicant for almost any DO school. I know you said you want to apply to MD schools but I would definitely suggest trying to open up to the idea of applying to some of the top DO schools. I would suggest picking your top 5 DO schools and applying to those because you may change your mind about only wanting MD throughout the year (many of my friends have and are wishing they would have applied DO). As for MD schools you could look into...

All state schools of course, rosy frank, drexel, tcmc, some of the virginia schools, western mich, oakland, creighton, vermont, albany, penn state, temple, jeff, mcw.

Hopefully that gets you started! Most likely many of these schools will reject you pre-interview so I would apply to a lot of schools like this and hope you land something and then apply DO as backup. Goodluck! Make sure you apply as early as possible!

Being mexican will help. Honestly, yes your MCAT score is really the only issue with your application but it isn't detrimental to MD schools and certainly you are a great applicant for almost any DO school. I know you said you want to apply to MD schools but I would definitely suggest trying to open up to the idea of applying to some of the top DO schools. I would suggest picking your top 5 DO schools and applying to those because you may change your mind about only wanting MD throughout the year (many of my friends have and are wishing they would have applied DO). As for MD schools you could look into...

All state schools of course, rosy frank, drexel, tcmc, some of the virginia schools, western mich, oakland, creighton, vermont, albany, penn state, temple, jeff, mcw.

Hopefully that gets you started! Most likely many of these schools will reject you pre-interview so I would apply to a lot of schools like this and hope you land something and then apply DO as backup. Goodluck! Make sure you apply as early as possible!

Thank you so much! I will definitely look at those schools. I am well aware of the possible impediment my MCAT poses, but I am trying to stay positive- it really bummed me out for a while. It is possible that scoring in the higher range of the percentile rank I provided for my new MCAT score could equate to a 30. I think this could help! What do you think?

I am also considering applying super super early as I think this will help. My other possible option is to take the new MCAT again in July or August and apply then, but I am afraid that my score won't substantially increase then and blow and advantages I would've had at applying early. What do you think?

Again, thank you so much for all your help!

Thank you so much! I will definitely look at those schools. I am well aware of the possible impediment my MCAT poses, but I am trying to stay positive- it really bummed me out for a while. It is possible that scoring in the higher range of the percentile rank I provided for my new MCAT score could equate to a 30. I think this could help! What do you think?

I am also considering applying super super early as I think this will help. My other possible option is to take the new MCAT again in July or August and apply then, but I am afraid that my score won't substantially increase then and blow and advantages I would've had at applying early. What do you think?

Again, thank you so much for all your help!
you said you're waiting to get your new score for the new mcat already right? or did you just take the practice?

I think a safer bet would be to apply June 1st for MD. You can apply DO now. Unless you really think you can get your MCAT up to 32+ equivalent on the new mcat....But applying late really hurts you....I have many friends with 3.8-4.0 and 31-33 with good ECs that applied in august and didnt get in anywhere....and they applied to very reasonable MD schools. Timing really really matters.

you said you're waiting to get your new score for the new mcat already right? or did you just take the practice?
I am waiting to get my actual score. That'll be in mid June though- they only gave us percentage ranks.

I think a safer bet would be to apply June 1st for MD. You can apply DO now. Unless you really think you can get your MCAT up to 32+ equivalent on the new mcat....But applying late really hurts you....I have many friends with 3.8-4.0 and 31-33 with good ECs that applied in august and didnt get in anywhere....and they applied to very reasonable MD schools. Timing really really matters.

Yea so I've heard. I'm really hoping applying really early gives me an edge.