School List Help - CA ORM cGPA 3.78, sGPA 3.75, MCAT 520

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lowlybloodhound

Reaction score
---

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Research is light, but it's not your weakest point.

Is your volleyball coaching your "community service" activity? What else did you do with underserved youth (if it isn't volleyball)? You don't have any true service orientation experience (alleviating others' distress) where you clearly are stretching outside your comfort zone from what you described.

Any primary care experience? Is all your scribing in ophthalmology?

Reactions: 1 user
Research is light, but it's not your weakest point.

Is your volleyball coaching your "community service" activity? What else did you do with underserved youth (if it isn't volleyball)? You don't have any true service orientation experience (alleviating others' distress) where you clearly are stretching outside your comfort zone from what you described.

Any primary care experience? Is all your scribing in ophthalmology?

Oops, I forgot to mention that it was tutoring and working with the underserved children.

I don't have any primary care experience. All my scribing is with ophthalmology.

Members don't see this ad :)
Some schools highly value service, so I would recommend avoiding them.

Try:
UCLA
UC Davis
UC Irvine
UCSD
UCR (only if from the IE)
California University SOM
USC - Keck
Kaiser Permanente
Einstein
Hofstra
Rochester
Icahn SOM at Mount Sinai
Colorado
Tufts
Boston University
Dartmouth
Vanderbilt
Emory
Case Western Reserve
Ohio State
Cincinnati
Northwestern
Thomas Jefferson
Brown
Michigan
Virginia
Wisconsin
Mayo
WUSTL
USF Morsani
Iowa

Some schools highly value service, so I would recommend avoiding them.

Try:
UCLA
UC Davis
UC Irvine
UCSD
UCR (only if from the IE)
California University SOM
USC - Keck
Kaiser Permanente
Einstein
Hofstra
Rochester
Icahn SOM at Mount Sinai
Colorado
Tufts
Boston University
Dartmouth
Vanderbilt
Emory
Case Western Reserve
Ohio State
Cincinnati
Northwestern
Thomas Jefferson
Brown
Michigan
Virginia
Wisconsin
Mayo
WUSTL
USF Morsani
Iowa

Thank you for your feedback!

So my list is now:
UCSF
UCLA
UC Davis
UC Irvine
UCSD
UCR
USC - Keck
Kaiser Permanente
Einstein
Hofstra
Rochester
Icahn SOM at Mount Sinai
Cornell
Colorado
Tufts
Boston University
Dartmouth
Vanderbilt
Emory
Northwestern
Thomas Jefferson
Brown
Michigan
Virginia
Wisconsin
Mayo
WUSTL
Thinking of removing due to location:
USF Morsani
Ohio State
Case Western Reserve
Cincinnati
Iowa

This list is very top heavy, especially if I remove the bottom schools. I would also appreciate your feedback @Faha. Thank you so much!

So my list is now:
UCSF
UCLA
UC Davis
UC Irvine
UCSD
UCR
USC - Keck
Kaiser Permanente
Einstein
Hofstra
Rochester
Icahn SOM at Mount Sinai
Cornell
Colorado
Tufts
Boston University
Dartmouth
Vanderbilt
Emory
Northwestern
Thomas Jefferson
Brown
Michigan
Virginia
Wisconsin
Mayo
WUSTL
Thinking of removing due to location:
USF Morsani
Ohio State
Case Western Reserve
Cincinnati
Iowa

This list is very top heavy, especially if I remove the bottom schools. I would also appreciate your feedback @Faha. Thank you so much!
Keep USF Morsani and Cincinnati. You could add these schools:
Miami
Duke

Oops, I forgot to mention that it was tutoring and working with the underserved children.

I don't have any primary care experience. All my scribing is with ophthalmology.
I suggest you find some time to shadow in primary care (IM, ER). You already have a lot of work with children and youth that peds may marginally help you.

Also tutoring will be valued differently from non-clinical service orientation community service. Ideally, you need to be of service to adults in distress too.

I suggest you find some time to shadow in primary care (IM, ER). You already have a lot of work with children and youth that peds may marginally help you.

Also tutoring will be valued differently from non-clinical service orientation community service. Ideally, you need to be of service to adults in distress too.
Got it, thanks for your input. The working with underserved children is not purely tutoring, but I understand your point.

If I were to start shadowing for primary care or do community service for adults, I assume that neither of these would be in my application this year due to insignificant hours at the time of submission. Are these for in case I need to re-apply, or just for my general exposure?

Got it, thanks for your input. The working with underserved children is not purely tutoring, but I understand your point.

If I were to start shadowing for primary care or do community service for adults, I assume that neither of these would be in my application this year due to insignificant hours at the time of submission. Are these for in case I need to re-apply, or just for my general exposure?
Shadowing someone in primary care even for around 15-20 hours is still worth putting on this year's app if you can get it.

Reactions: 1 user
Shadowing someone in primary care even for around 15-20 hours is still worth putting on this year's app if you can get it.
Would it be worth submitting my application later in order to get this shadowing? I would definitely have to in order to get the shadowing in.