School List Help for 1st-Generation with 3.8sGPA, 29 MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HopelesRomantic

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I need help making an MD/DO list for the upcoming cycle. Can you help me out?

Stats: 3.75cGPA/3.8sGPA at a top10 ugrad, 29 MCAT (9BS, 11VR, 9BS)
State: one that does not have any public schools:(
Demographics: 1st-generation, White/Hispanic (Spanish - so not URM, but I speak a "Good" on the AMCAS scale)
Extracurriculars: IMHO, I have pretty good/extensive experience in research, clinical, volunteering, and leadership. Research is probably the strongest part of my EC's, with my weakest as helping underserved populations (my clinical volunteering is still strong, though).
Letters: Probably all good, but not exceptionally amazing. I have a DO letter as well.

I plan on applying to between 30 and 40 schools. Right now I'm trying to cut down on schools, but if you have any more to recommend please let me know. Here's my list so far, organized by state, with comments:

Texas: UTSW, UTMB, Baylor, Tech-Lubbock, UTSA, Texas A&M, UTH, TCOM. I have very strong ties to Texas (but I'm not a resident).

Illinois: Loyola, Rush, Rosalind Franklin, Northwestern, CCOM. Should I add UIC?

Pennsylvania: Jefferson, Temple, Drexel, PCOM, Commonwealth. Should I add Penn State (do they have a thesis requirement)?

New Jersey: Cooper, UMDNJ-SOM

New York: Albany, Albert Einstein, Cornell, NYU, Hofstra, SUNY Downstate, TouroNY, NYCOM, Rochester

Florida: UMiami, Atlantic, International, NSU-SOM, Central

New Hampshire/Vermont/Connecticut/Minnesota: Dartmouth, UVM, UConn, Quinnipiac, UMinnesota. I have very strong ties to all four of these states.

Michigan: UMichigan, Wayne State, Oakland. I have some ties to MI.

Ohio: Toledo, Wright State. I have some ties to OH.

Virginia: VCU, EVMS

Others: Tufts, Creighton, Saint Louis, Tulane, Medical College of WI, Georgetown, Wake Forest

Again, I'm trying to cut down to 30-40, but please add others you think I'd fit. And, yes, I understand I have many reach schools and some super-reaches; however, I'd like to know whether it's worth applying to them if I have the money or if I have virtually zero chance at acceptance.

The bottom line: Are there any schools on my list that have nonstandard requirements, place huge emphasis on a narrow mission statement (ex. underserved populations, rural medicine, etc), (un)official MCAT cutoffs (for OOS as well), or anything else that would preclude or dissuade me from applying there?

Thanks a lot, I really appreciate all the help.

Members don't see this ad.

29MCAT pretty much kills your chances at UTSW and Baylor - remember that the TMDSAS schools are 90% in-state and Baylor is 70% in-state, so their published stats are more a reflection of in-state students than OOS students.

The entire UTx system is pretty selective and competitive, so cross those off, along with Baylor. Trying for out-of-state public schools is also a waste of your money. Saying you have "ties to a state" is meaningless unless you're a resident.
Definitely try your own state school.

Suggest the following schools:

TCOM
Loyola, Rush, Rosalind Franklin, CCOM.

Jefferson, Temple, Drexel, PCOM, Commonwealth. LECOM

Cooper, UMDNJ-SOM

Albany, Hofstra, SUNY Downstate, TouroNY, NYCOM, Rochester, SUNY-Buffalo and Upstate

Atlantic, International, NSU-SOM, Central

Quinnipiac

MSU-COM

VCU, EVMS; Edmund ViaCOM

Tufts, Creighton, Saint Louis, Georgetown, PCOM-GA

MarionCOM
ATStill-Kirksville
KCCOM
DMU
LMU-Debusk
OhioCOM

Again, I'm trying to cut down to 30-40, but please add others you think I'd fit. And, yes, I understand I have many reach schools and some super-reaches; however, I'd like to know whether it's worth applying to them if I have the money or if I have virtually zero chance at acceptance.

The bottom line: Are there any schools on my list that have nonstandard requirements, place huge emphasis on a narrow mission statement (ex. underserved populations, rural medicine, etc), (un)official MCAT cutoffs (for OOS as well), or anything else that would preclude or dissuade me from applying there?

Thanks a lot, I really appreciate all the help.[/QUOTE]

Members don't see this ad :)
The entire UTx system is pretty selective and competitive, so cross those off, along with Baylor. Trying for out-of-state public schools is also a waste of your money. Saying you have "ties to a state" is meaningless unless you're a resident.
Definitely try your own state school.

Suggest the following schools:

TCOM
Loyola, Rush, Rosalind Franklin, CCOM.

Jefferson, Temple, Drexel, PCOM, Commonwealth. LECOM

Cooper, UMDNJ-SOM

Albany, Hofstra, SUNY Downstate, TouroNY, NYCOM, Rochester, SUNY-Buffalo and Upstate

Atlantic, International, NSU-SOM, Central

Quinnipiac

MSU-COM

VCU, EVMS; Edmund ViaCOM

Tufts, Creighton, Saint Louis, Georgetown, PCOM-GA

MarionCOM
ATStill-Kirksville
KCCOM
DMU
LMU-Debusk
OhioCOM

In regard to the bolded parts of your response: First, I don't have a public state school. Second, why do you tell me trying for OOS publics is a waste of money before suggesting I apply to nine OOS publics? Third, what evidence do you have that ties to a state (you were born there and/or you have relatives there) is "meaningless"? Thank you for the response, though.

Can anyone else chime in?

A ton of public state schools have specific questions asking about your ties on their secondary app. If it didnt matter, they would not ask. Goro is a Debbie downer with a do pushing agenda.

One good thing I noticed about your app is the higher verbal score. Is it too late to retake for you in terms of getting your sciences up?

I don't keep track of every school that's public vs private.

In regard to the bolded parts of your response: First, I don't have a public state school. Second, why do you tell me trying for OOS publics is a waste of money before suggesting I apply to nine OOS publics?

I say that because you're not a resident of the state. You were born there? Your aunt lives there. Big deal. Why should any AdCom member at a state school, which is trying to train clincians to practice in that state, favor an OOS applicant who has numbers and a packet equivalent to an in-state person? The taxpayers of that state would be helping you supplement your tuition, and so they tend to tend to favor the home team.

Third, what evidence do you have that ties to a state (you were born there and/or you have relatives there) is "meaningless"? Thank you for the response, though.
]

In response to the post above this one, I think the OP came here for realistic advice, not hugs and not needing to be told that s/he is like the kids from Lake Wobegone, all above avg.

A dose of reality to the "you can do it...anyone can do it!" pollyana midset is disconcerting to some Millennials, but in life, not everyone gets a trophy, and not everyone can go to medical school. Just because people win the Powerball doesn't mean we should all run out and buy tickets.

As for having a pro-DO point of view, I simply point out the obvious that people who might not get into the avg MD school might handily make it into a DO program. I say this based upon the stats in MSAR. The letters after your name don't matter once you're a clinician.

For Texas, I'd suggest keeping only UTHSCSA and adding TT El Paso as they both look very favorably on Spanish-speaking applicants and serve large Hispanic populations. But do recognize the '90% In-State' rule, and understand that the OOS applicants accepted generally have much higher stats than the average for the school...

You mentioned that underserved community service is a possible weakness? Can you volunteer in a heavily-Hispanic clinic starting now?

Agree that the MCAT is an issue -- Retaking could make a big difference in your competitiveness.

The problem with having ties to the state such as aunts living there, etc, is that the SOMs have little confidence that you'll practice there. Your residency may be in another state, and then nothing will bring you back to Texas.

What is your state of residency? Are you a US citizen?

Stats: 3.75cGPA/3.8sGPA at a top10 ugrad, 29 MCAT (9BS, 11VR, 9BS)

It seems strange to me that someone who attended a top 10 undergrad and has a very good GPA would have a 29 MCAT.

Can I ask why you're planning to apply to so many schools? Your GPA is good and MCAT is not that bad, regardless of what other people may say. It is possible to get in with a sub 30 MCAT.

My suggestions are not intended to be rude, but are coming from my experiences from my application cycle.

I would suggest first that you think about each school that you are applying to and seriously consider whether you would go there if accepted. If you go through the entire cycle and it is the only school you are accepted to, will you go there? We see many people on SDN that get accepted into a school they never intended to go to, and then want to trash their cycle and re-apply next year. You do not want to be in this position.

I would also say (from my experience) that it is generally true that it's difficult as an OOS to get an interview/acceptance to a state school that is not your own. However, it is also generally true that these secondaries are cheaper than private schools. So if you are dead set on two or three state schools then it would be alright to apply there, but don't expect an immediate acceptance.

Finally, I would consider adding Penn State to your list. The research requirement (from what I've heard from students) can be minimally intrusive on your life, and Penn State is somewhat friendly to sub 30 MCAT if you are very well-rounded and committed to humanistic medicine. Hope this helps!

The problem with having ties to the state such as aunts living there, etc, is that the SOMs have little confidence that you'll practice there. Your residency may be in another state, and then nothing will bring you back to Texas.

What is your state of residency? Are you a US citizen?

It seems strange to me that someone who attended a top 10 undergrad and has a very good GPA would have a 29 MCAT.

Let's just say my state doesn't have a public med school. I am a US citizen.

My MCAT is strange to me too. I was averaging a few points higher on prx tests. Maybe I got an unlucky set of science topics, maybe I'm just not good at taking this particular type of standardized test. Unfortunately I was and am too busy to study enough for a retake, and for personal reasons I won't disclose here I have to apply this summer.

Thank you to everyone for your responses, but besides taking out most of the TX schools and a few other OOS publics, I'd like to know which other schools I should cross off. Again, I'm applying to 30-40 schools for personal reasons as well as to increase my chances of getting into an MD school. I'm pretty confident I'll get into at least one of the seven DO's I'm applying to.

what state are you from? there may be a different state's public school or a private school that has a special arrangement to give preference to residents of your state.

you don't need to be so secretive.

also, how do you have very strong ties to at least 5 different states? a very strong tie is like, "i was born there and my whole family lives there and i'm only technically not a resident because i changed my residency for college." not, "my aunt lives there."

what state are you from? there may be a different state's public school or a private school that has a special arrangement to give preference to residents of your state.

you don't need to be so secretive.

also, how do you have very strong ties to at least 5 different states? a very strong tie is like, "i was born there and my whole family lives there and i'm only technically not a resident because i changed my residency for college." not, "my aunt lives there."

It's the Interwebs, man, gotta take precautions.

State ties comments are duly noted; disclosing the personal reasons would give away too much info.

The real question is, can you take a look at the other schools on my list that haven't already been discussed and tell me there's absolutely no way I'm getting in there for numerical reasons or mission/fit reasons? Have I forgotten an MD school that (almost) fits my stats/ec's?

You sure have a lot of "ties".

UMich is very MCAT-centric IMO so you might have difficulty as an OOS but apply. Can't hurt.

Edit:
But on the other hand they LOVE research!

I've gotten very little actual feedback on this thread. Can someone recommend more schools I can delete off my list or add on (that haven't already been mentioned)?

UMich is very MCAT-centric IMO so you might have difficulty as an OOS but apply. Can't hurt.

Edit:
But on the other hand they LOVE research!

I've gotten very little actual feedback on this thread. Can someone recommend more schools I can delete off my list or add on (that haven't already been mentioned)?

Yeah, as an OOSer with an MCAT so far below their averages UMich probably isn't worth the time/money/effort unless you aren't expecting much (though their secondary is pretty easy and the fees aren't super high). That being said, they do like research and you haven't been super descriptive about your ECs (i.e. I don't know what you mean when you say very strong--if you mean you've done it for a couple years and have a poster and an abstract, meh, but if we're talking 3-4 years with summers and multiple publications including first authorship that's another story).

Yeah, as an OOSer with an MCAT so far below their averages UMich probably isn't worth the time/money/effort unless you aren't expecting much (though their secondary is pretty easy and the fees aren't super high). That being said, they do like research and you haven't been super descriptive about your ECs (i.e. I don't know what you mean when you say very strong--if you mean you've done it for a couple years and have a poster and an abstract, meh, but if we're talking 3-4 years with summers and multiple publications including first authorship that's another story).

Thanks for the reply. I understand, and I'm unfortunately not quite in the latter group. Anyway, though, does that mean, in your opinion, that it's at least not totally insane of me to also apply to the other "top" schools on my list that might favor research (NYU, Cornell, Northwestern, etc). That is, do you think I might as well give it a shot, or is it REALLY not worth it/futile?