School Psy and LEP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oceandrive3

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm from San Diego, CA and Im interseted in pursuing School Psy and eventually becoming licensed in Educational Psy. There are four school psy programs in San Diego, Alliant, SDSU, NU and Chapman. SDSU is a full time program and the only NASP approved, but I plan to continue working so I will probably go to the other 3 schools. Does anyone have any feedback about the programs in these schools?

I also wanted to find out more information about the practice of Educational Psy. I know the license exists but Ive never found any job postings anywhere. For those who are not familiar with this please see:
http://www.bbs.ca.gov/consumer/what_is.shtml If there are any practicing LEPs, even if you are not from CA any help would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I also wanted to find out more information about the practice of Educational Psy. I know the license exists but Ive never found any job postings anywhere. For those who are not familiar with this please see:
http://www.bbs.ca.gov/consumer/what_is.shtml If there are any practicing LEPs, even if you are not from CA any help would be appreciated.
How is that different than a School Psychologist? It seems to cross over into Clinical/Counseling Psychology too.

That seems fairly within the bounds of what School Psychologists do in most states. I'm confused about why they call it "educational psych," though, as "educational psych" usually refers to a non-licensable branch of experimental psych.

Members don't see this ad :)
From what I have researched, to be an LEP one must have worked ia public school district for a certain number of years, I think 2 years and then take an exam given by the CA board of behavioral sciences in order to get licensed as LEP.

Compared to school psychs, LEPs can work independently outside the public school system. According to the CA BBS website LEPs can perform "any of the following professional functions pertaining to academic learning processes or the education system or both..." (see the link above)

My question is how much of this:

(e) Providing psychological counseling for individuals, groups, and families

can a LEP perform knowing that mental and socioemotional issues almost always affect academic performance. Also, what kind of counseling are LEPs limited to? Can they do play therapy for example? (If it is to address academic concerns?)