School Suggestions? Mediocre GPA but good MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BunnyMan17

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just got mcat scores back and I managed to pull a 518 (129, 131, 130, 128)... but... my gpa isn't that great. I've got a 3.47c and 3.3s (AMCAS). With grade replacement and such my AACOMAS gpa is higher so I'm mainly applying DO. I do like their philosophy and have been impressed by the ones I've shadowed but my pre-med advisor has always pushed applying for MD.

So I'm wondering, are there any MD schools where you think it wouldn't be a waste of time for me to apply? I submitted AMCAS a while back and put down my in-state (Va) MD schools.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I would definitely apply to some MD schools, especially if you have decent ECs.

Reactions: 1 user
D0n't be silly! You should absolutely apply to more MD schools. What is your recent grade trend and how are your ECS?

Members don't see this ad :)
Here's the ECs. My GPA is upwards, but not significantly so. I had a rough semester last fall (3.0).

As far as EC type experiences go:
-I've got ~100 hours hospital volunteering, all patient contact, was a physical therapy aid for much of it--
-I was a mentor/tutor for AVID at the local high school my 2nd year
-I've got ~75 hours MD shadowing (neonatology, pathology, infectious disease) and ~20 hours DO shadowing (family medicine, did get a letter)
-I was in the fencing club 1st and 2nd year
-I'm active in one of our christian fellowships and have been on mission trips to the middle east and spain. I'm also house dad for one of the fellowship houses (think RA who supervises paying the bills)
-I'm active in the minority pre-health honor society (note that I'm actually not a minority, it's a long story) and served on the exec board 2nd year
-I've researched in 3 different labs but mostly (~1.5 years) in a medicinal chemistry lab. No 1st author publications but I've got my name on a few things
-Eagle scout and assistant scoutmaster during the summer
-Worked at chick-fil-a during breaks through Spring 2015 (started in 2009)
-I tutor orgo and gen chem on the side
---Probably a few other small things I'm forgetting but the above are the most significant

So you do have some publications and you're an Eagle Scout? Publications are great and I don't know how much being an Eagle Scout will help but I'm sure it will be a plus, and you have decent clinical exposure as well and some other unique experiences. It would definitely make sense IMO to apply to some MD schools as well as DO schools.

You could apply to these schools where you could receive an interview with your stats:
GW
Georgetown
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Albany
New York Medical College
Penn State
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Medical College Wisconsin
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
Creighton
Tulane
West Virginia

You could apply to these schools where you could receive an interview with your stats:
GW
Georgetown
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Albany
New York Medical College
Penn State
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Medical College Wisconsin
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
Creighton
Tulane
West Virginia

Thanks!

A 518 qualifies you for a good number of Allo schools. In fact, it may DIS-qualify you from some DO schools as they know its very rare for someone with a 37(?) to actually matriculate. I think @Mad Jack has mentioned this before.

Your score gives you the ability to apply confidently to any DO you choose as well as many low to mid tier MD's.

If you want take a look at my MD apps for places to apply, I had a numerical profile similar to yours!

Thanks @The Knife & Gun Club. To clarify, you did end up going to MD? And yeah I've heard some people talk about too high MCAT scores and such, although I figure they'd be able to tell if you're sincere or not once you get to the interview stage. I hope.

Add U WV, Wake, Albany, NYMC and the Philly Triplets to your list.

Just got mcat scores back and I managed to pull a 518 (129, 131, 130, 128)... but... my gpa isn't that great. I've got a 3.47c and 3.3s (AMCAS). With grade replacement and such my AACOMAS gpa is higher so I'm mainly applying DO. I do like their philosophy and have been impressed by the ones I've shadowed but my pre-med advisor has always pushed applying for MD.

So I'm wondering, are there any MD schools where you think it wouldn't be a waste of time for me to apply? I submitted AMCAS a while back and put down my in-state (Va) MD schools.

Thanks!

Thanks @The Knife & Gun Club. To clarify, you did end up going to MD? And yeah I've heard some people talk about too high MCAT scores and such, although I figure they'd be able to tell if you're sincere or not once you get to the interview stage. I hope.

Yea I did. I only got 1 DO interview, but several MD ones. But I think you're right if you can write a good "why DO" essay you should find luck.

My take on it is that a strong MCAT is a good predictor of board passage/standardized test ability. And all med schools (md or do) love applicants who will pass their boards.

Well getting knocked out for too high an MCAT score would certainly be ironic, I'll keep that in mind come secondaries. I've already made my AACOMAS primary quite pro-DO and talked to some DO adcoms, etc. Wasn't that hard though, DOs I shadowed were awesome. Thanks to both of y'all for the info!