School Supplies - what do I need?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lailanni

c/o 2012
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have no idea what to get for school supplies for vet school.

Do I need binders? Wide ruled paper? Peachy folders? Can I ditch my protractor?

For undergrad I had a 3 or 4 section notebook with about 150 pages per section. I'd give one section to each class and take notes with my multi-color pen.

Worked fine for me then, but I have a sneaking suspicion a big fat notebook and a multi color pen just aren't going to cut it anymore....?

My classes have pre-printed notes (to be picked up mid August). I have no idea where to go from there and I spent a confusing 15 minutes in Wal Mart before I just gave up and went home. I just want to get my supplies before everything gets picked over and I'm left with bright neon Barbie supplies. Cool in 3rd grade. Guessing not so cool in vet school.

Members don't see this ad.

If you're like me, you'll probably change your study strategy (and school supply needs) at least twice! Really, if writing your notes out in notebooks and using multicolor pens has worked for you in the past, I'd start with those supplies :)

Currently, I have a three-inch binder for each class. These stay at home and collect pre-printed notes, written notes and ppt printouts as I go along. Then I have a one-inch binder that comes with me every day and has blank notebook paper and the day's pre-printed notes. Then I have a pack of highlighters and my obsessive color-coding system, about which, it's probably best not to ask :D

Really, I wouldn't sweat it too much. It's not like you'll be trapped in the Sahara without a Target nearby ;)

My system is about like laurafinn's, only I use my computer more. I would recommend binders for your pre-printed notes, but it's hard to know what size to get before you get them, since the size will vary between classes.

Multi-colored pens are great for drawing on anatomy handouts, but I'd also recommend getting colored pencils in case you need more colors. Also, some people with really visual memories choose to color in the anatomy book. (If you have Miller's, it's black and white.)

Members don't see this ad :)
Really, I wouldn't sweat it too much. It's not like you'll be trapped in the Sahara without a Target nearby ;)

Okay it's not the Sahara, but we will be trapped in Pullman, WA....86 miles from the nearest Target!

There is a Walmart though..and since you're in PN you've probably had your fair share of Target withdrawl...Having to make trips to Australia for school supplies and all ;)

Okay it's not the Sahara, but we will be trapped in Pullman, WA....86 miles from the nearest Target!

There is a Walmart though..and since you're in PN you've probably had your fair share of Target withdrawl...Having to make trips to Australia for school supplies and all ;)

I was in Pullman for almost 5 years during undergrad and I think the Walmart is what kept me sane! But it's still not the same as Target.:(

I use the binder method like a couple of the previous posts and found it helps keep everything organized by dedicating a binder to each class.

Last edited:
Spiral-hole punch/ Spiral-binding supplies
Highlighters
Color-coded "Post-it" flags
Adhesive plastic tabs-write on or insertable

I didnt use this myself, but one of our vet associates did and it seemed neat and effective. She had her notes spiral-hole (comb) punched at the local office supply store and then had all her notes spiral bound. She said it really paid off when it came time to study for boards. And the notebooks were lighter and less bulky than the 3 ring binders. Nowadays you can get those punchers and bindings and do it all yourself, but some systems are expensive.
She used highlighters to color code every bit of info in her notes. (Although when I looked over her notes, it seemed very busy to me).
When I was in tech school, we used Millers for anatomy, and I used permanent adhesive tabs to mark the body systems sections (ie humerus, pelvis, vertebrae, skull, cardiac, brachial plexis ect..) for fast and easy referencing of diagrams I studied the most.

I love this thread - I feel like less of a dork because I've been wondering the same things! Also, I've been out of school for a few years, so I barely remember what I used to buy. I was planning on doing some sort of binder system. I love the idea of having the class notes spiral bound - that is a genius idea.

Keep the good ideas coming:)

i bet your professors will tell you what you will need on your first day. then again i am in high shool, so i maybe way diffrent.

My laptop just gave out on me and I was wondering what the opinion is on tablet laptops, something like the new HP tx2500z? Are these useful in vet school, or is good old pen and paper the way to go?

My laptop just gave out on me and I was wondering what the opinion is on tablet laptops, something like the new HP tx2500z? Are these useful in vet school, or is good old pen and paper the way to go?

i know there a several discussions about which computers a good/on tablets. just from what i've read...i know there are several vet students out there who find their tablet laptops extremely useful. i would search for computers or specifically tablet if you want to find specific recommendations.

Thanks for the info guys! I appreciate it :)

lenmaca - the tablet PCs sure do sound useful - there were a few threads on them a while ago. Depending on your school you may need a laptop alot or just a little.

I asked my big sib about it (WSU) - she said really only a small handful of people regularly bring their laptops to lecture. Since we have pre-printed notes most people just scribble on those. Which is good because I can't afford a new laptop (mine is like 14 lbs and I'm not hauling that to school!)

But I know other schools are heavier into computer use.

LOL!!!!!

Well, lets just say it's so old it still has an internal 3 1/2 floppy drive - next to the CR-rom. No CD burning capability. Stick that into a laptop carry case and you got a big fat heavy chunk of semi-useful technology!

This is a great topic! I must say that (yes, i'm a dork) I LOVE school supplies! I have been getting really anxious to go "back-to-school shopping" ...but I'm not going to do that at least until I find a place to live :eek:

Anywho...another question: Is it (too) corny to have puppy folders in vet school? :D

Well, it seems relevant enough. Are they pink? That might be too much, pink and puppies.

LOL. A laptop with a floppy drive. CLASSIC.

I know I want a tablet. I'm a bit of a technophile. I'm just waiting to get in... until then this old thing (and by old I mean from 2005) will have to do. :)

Perhaps the most important item that I only bought recently, after my first year of vet school--a filing cabinet!

My school gives us pre-printed notes and my pile very quickly approached the 1-foot mark. I keep all my currently-in-use notes in binders, like most people, but as soon as I've taken the exam for that material I want them to be filed away neatly so I will have them when I study for boards.

Multicolored highlighters, pens, and pencils have also been very useful. Also, a large lunch cooler so I have enough snacks to get me through the day without resorting to the vending machine...