Schools that churn out EM physicians...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

krebse

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys-

Anyone know, or know where I can find out, the "specialties" of specific schools? For instance, U of MN @ Duluth is huge on primary care, but what about schools known for Emergency medicine or having strong EMS ties? I've found residency placement data on the schools websites, but I'm looking for a better way than scouring each individual site - any advice or insight? Thanks!

Liz

Members don't see this ad.

Look into finding out what schools have an active EM interest group for students. Another area to ask about are what types of electives are offered in EM and if you can shadow in the ED as a MS1 or MS2.

UCONN has a great EM physician who coordinates the EM Interest Group and runs two EM electives for 1st and 2nd year students. We can also sign up for shifts in the ED at two hospitals - one suburban and one urban trauma center.

As other posters have mentioned in the pre-allo thread, match lists are not all that useful and can vary greatly year by year. There are many excellent EM programs out there and just about any school will prepare you well, but if you are looking for good exposure to the field look for an active interest group at the school.