Schools that require 1 year of calculus

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ih8biochem

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I needed to remove a few schools off my list becuase of this 1 year of calculus requirement. I belive making a list of schools would be helpful, especially for non-science majors like myself. Please help contribute if you're familiar with the admission's requirements. I'll start:

Johns Hopkins
Duke
Harvard

Members don't see this ad.

Just off the top of my head...
U. Wisconsin at Madison
Case Western Reserve (?)
Michigan State
Darthmouth

ih8biochem said:
I needed to remove a few schools off my list becuase of this 1 year of calculus requirement. I belive making a list of schools would be helpful, especially for non-science majors like myself. Please help contribute if you're familiar with the admission's requirements. I'll start:

Johns Hopkins
Duke
Harvard

doesn't hopkins take stats as a substitute though? (at least they used to...)

Members don't see this ad :)
Johns Hopkins
Duke
Harvard
U. Wisconsin at Madison
Case Western Reserve (?)
Michigan State
Darthmouth

ucla requires a year in math.....not sure if that is calc or not, but in addition to that you have to take statistics.

According to the 2005-6 MSAR, Case Western does not require a year of calc. Dartmouth only requires one calc class (3 sem hours) and Johns Hopkins will accept stats instead. Also, keep in mind that pre-reqs need to be complete before matriculation, not applying--if you haven't taken calc or stats or haven't taken a full year of it, you could still apply to schools that require these and complete the req over the spring/summer before you would start.

Mistress S said:
According to the 2005-6 MSAR, Case Western does not require a year of calc. Dartmouth only requires one calc class (3 sem hours) and Johns Hopkins will accept stats instead. Also, keep in mind that pre-reqs need to be complete before matriculation, not applying--if you haven't taken calc or stats or haven't taken a full year of it, you could still apply to schools that require these and complete the req over the spring/summer before you would start.

You also need to watch out for "back door" requirements - like schools that don't require calculus, but do require calculus based physics.....

Another consideration with this is figuring out what schools accept AP credit for the calculus requirement.

I'm very sad now that I've realized that I can't apply to UC Davis because they want a year of math AND AP won't count. :(

flighterdoc said:
You also need to watch out for "back door" requirements - like schools that don't require calculus, but do require calculus based physics.....

Which schools require calc-based physics?

Really? In the MSAR for UCLA, it just says you are required to have a year of general physics, with lab--nothing about it being calc-based that I could find. All it says about calc is "Facility in the principles of college mathematics or calculus [...] is recommended" (not required). Do you have a source that says differently? Are there any other schools that do require calc-based physics? I think at least as many people (if not more) take the non-calc physics rather than the calc-based, so it would really be good to know if there are schools that won't accept it.

Mistress S said:
Really? In the MSAR for UCLA, it just says you are required to have a year of general physics, with lab--nothing about it being calc-based that I could find. All it says about calc is "Facility in the principles of college mathematics or calculus [...] is recommended" (not required). Do you have a source that says differently? Are there any other schools that do require calc-based physics? I think at least as many people (if not more) take the non-calc physics rather than the calc-based, so it would really be good to know if there are schools that won't accept it.

Hmm. You're right, I made a mistake. I thought I recalled seeing that some required it though, last time I read the MSAR. If not, good!

UCLA does require a year of math including intro calc and stats, though (per their website).