"Schools to Apply To" List

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JohnBasedow

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone...I just wanted some opinions on my school selection for the 2005 apps. I'm from CA, but went to UNC for undergrad (3.2 GPA), have an MPH with a 3.68, 37 MCAT, 2+ years of clinical experience and 2+ years of lab research work with a publication on the way. I'm also going to apply to the CA DO schools. Here's my list so far:

Albany Medical College
Albert Einstein College of Medicine
Boston University School of Medicine
Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine
David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA
Drexel University College of Medicine
Eastern Virginia Medical School
George Washington University Sch of Med & Hlth Sci
Georgetown University School of Medicine
Jefferson Medical Coll. of Thomas Jefferson Univ.
Keck Sch. Of Med.University of Southern California
Loyola University Chicago Stritch School of Medici
Medical College of Ohio
Medical College of Wisconsin
Mount Sinai School of Medicine
New York Medical College
New York University
Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicin
Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine
Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Scien
Rush Medical College
Saint Louis University School of Medicine
Stanford University School of Medicine
Temple University School of Medicine
The University of Vermont College of Medicine
Tufts University School of Medicine
Tulane University School of Medicine
University of California San Diego
University of California San Francisco
University of California, Davis School of Medicine
University of California, Irvine
University of Chicago - Pritzker
University of Cincinnati College of Medicine
University of Illinois at Chicago-College of Medic
University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine
University of Rochester School of Medicine and Den
Vanderbilt University School of Medicine
Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicine

Any suggestions for adds/drops on this (huge) list?

Members don't see this ad.

JohnBasedow said:
Hey everyone...I just wanted some opinions on my school selection for the 2005 apps. I'm from CA, but went to UNC for undergrad (3.2 GPA), have an MPH with a 3.68, 37 MCAT, 2+ years of clinical experience and 2+ years of lab research work with a publication on the way. I'm also going to apply to the CA DO schools. Here's my list so far:

Albany Medical College
Albert Einstein College of Medicine
Boston University School of Medicine
Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine
David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA
Drexel University College of Medicine
Eastern Virginia Medical School
George Washington University Sch of Med & Hlth Sci
Georgetown University School of Medicine
Jefferson Medical Coll. of Thomas Jefferson Univ.
Keck Sch. Of Med.University of Southern California
Loyola University Chicago Stritch School of Medici
Medical College of Ohio
Medical College of Wisconsin
Mount Sinai School of Medicine
New York Medical College
New York University
Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicin
Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine
Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Scien
Rush Medical College
Saint Louis University School of Medicine
Stanford University School of Medicine
Temple University School of Medicine
The University of Vermont College of Medicine
Tufts University School of Medicine
Tulane University School of Medicine
University of California San Diego
University of California San Francisco
University of California, Davis School of Medicine
University of California, Irvine
University of Chicago - Pritzker
University of Cincinnati College of Medicine
University of Illinois at Chicago-College of Medic
University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine
University of Rochester School of Medicine and Den
University of Vermont
Vanderbilt University School of Medicine
Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicine

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

my goodness...

Members don't see this ad :)
you're wasting your money and your time applying to so many schools

With that good of experience and MCAT, you will get secondaries from all of them and you will likely get interviews to most of them. Can you afford to fly from CA all over the country for interviews. Do you have the time? You will likely find yourself picking and choosing the interviews you will go to. Might as well do it now. Take off any schools that you don't want to go to and leave a few (2-3) safety schools.

JohnBasedow said:

With those stats I?d par that list down to 10 or less schools. If you do apply to that many schools you?ll just be wasting your money. You?ll have to end up picking and choosing where to interview, like patzan said. Your choices are spread all around.

Have you researched all of the schools? Call some of the ones you are most interested in and ask for a student to correspond with.

I'd add OSU, and MCW. They accept a lot of out of state students. I would drop quite a few of those. As has been said before your stats are good you should only have to apply to about 10 schools.
This is a resource I used to decide which schools I should apply to. It was pretty good at estimating my chances.
Click Me.

Hey thanks a lot for the suggestions guys. I'm just concerned about my chances after reading some stories about people with good scores not having much luck. Also, my gpa in college is really the greatest weakness in my app, which scares me the most. I should add that I applied once unsuccessfully in 2000 with that 3.2 and a 30 mcat, and no MPH or research. I'm checking out that site RG, it seems pretty good so far. Thanks again everyone!

thewzdoc said:
THIS IS GREAT! :thumbup:

There are so many more factors than MCAT and GPA. I wouldn't trust the list it generates. Also, it gave me about 100 schools at which I would be "very competitive". Using this list, you will likely sell yourself short (Foreign and D.O. schools are where you will be ranked "very competitive") or you will spend a ton of money applying to all those schools needlessly.

patzan said:
There are so many more factors than MCAT and GPA. I wouldn't trust the list it generates. Also, it gave me about 100 schools at which I would be "very competitive". Using this list, you will likely sell yourself short (Foreign and D.O. schools are where you will be ranked "very competitive") or you will spend a ton of money applying to all those schools needlessly.
keep that list. dont take out any.
you have a sweet mcat which makes up for your lower ugrad gpa some schools might not end up accepting you cause they focus on that ugrad gpa.

with that you never know what the california schools will do. theres been lots of instances they dont accept people that look like good applicants on paper. so you need to make sure you do what you need to do by maximizing your chances to gaining an acceptance...

For a second, I thought that Exmike is doing a rerun. You should ask for his advice. He is somewhere around here or the Search.

I believe that ohio schools in Cleveland, Columbus, Cincinnati and Toledo would love you as a matriculant.

JB, I'm in a similar situation as you. Your list of schools bears a striking similarity to mine. I think most people have covered the schools I would add, and I think your list is fine if you have the financial resources and time to fill out the secondaries.

JohnBasedow said:
Hey thanks a lot for the suggestions guys. I'm just concerned about my chances after reading some stories about people with good scores not having much luck. Also, my gpa in college is really the greatest weakness in my app, which scares me the most. I should add that I applied once unsuccessfully in 2000 with that 3.2 and a 30 mcat, and no MPH or research. I'm checking out that site RG, it seems pretty good so far. Thanks again everyone!

JohnBasedow,
I am in exactly the same situation as you are. Same MCAT, similar ugrad gpa and MPH gpa. I also applied once unsucessfully (2003) with the 30 mcat and 3.3ish gpa. No success, although I only applied to like 4 schools....dumb, I know. I, too, am scared that the adcoms will not be able to look over my ugrad gpa, even though my MPH gpa is great. Okay....well...it's nice to know that I am not alone. Best of luck!

~KJ

patzan said:

Sucked the wind right out of my sails........

Hey the good news is that I've already been accepted to:Universidad Central del Caribe (PR) and I haven't even applied there! :thumbup: