Science majors preferred?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OceanSeal

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I quickly looked up Harvard Medical School stats and according to their site, 80% of students admitted were science majors.

Does this indicate anything about medical schools' preference towards science majors? Or is this more indicative of top tier schools' preference towards science majors?

Also, is psychology considered a science major? What about sociology -- the scientific study of society?

Members don't see this ad.

You can find out more information by individually checking different school's websites or picking up a copy of the MSAR (which will include the percent of math/science majors for each school).

This graph might help give you a better look at the overall trend for all medical schools:

https://www.aamc.org/download/161692/data/table18.pdf

Hmmm, interesting. Thank you for the chart. This was very helpful :)

Out of curiosity to my second question, what cateogry in this chart is psychology and sociology?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmmm, interesting. Thank you for the chart. This was very helpful :)

Out of curiosity to my second question, what cateogry in this chart is psychology and sociology?

Those would both fall in the social sciences category.

I quickly looked up Harvard Medical School stats and according to their site, 80% of students admitted were science majors.

Does this indicate anything about medical schools' preference towards science majors? Or is this more indicative of top tier schools' preference towards science majors?

Also, is psychology considered a science major? What about sociology -- the scientific study of society?

I'd say that stat is fairly constant across the board, not just Harvard.

Maybe it doesn't say anything about admissions preferences for college major. Maybe instead it shows that more people that are interested in science are also interested in pursuing medicine.

I'd say that stat is fairly constant across the board, not just Harvard.

Maybe it doesn't say anything about admissions preferences for college major. Maybe instead it shows that more people that are interested in science are also interested in pursuing medicine.

Agree with this. It is just the nature of the job/training. Yes there are people who major in something else, and that is perfectly fine, but you probably shouldn't be done medicine if you don't love the science on the body.