Scientific Assembly-New Orleans

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted109597

Alright, who's going, where is everyone staying, etc.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not going. I won't be staying at the Royal Sonesta.

IbnSina said:
Alright, who's going, where is everyone staying, etc.

I'm in. I think I'm at the Marriot across the street from the host Marriot. I could be wrong, though. My wife made the reservations. Yes, she told me where they were but, hey, I'm a man. Do you think I was listening?

Take care,
Jeff

Members don't see this ad :)
Going, but not sure where I am staying.

Not going. Have fun though. If anyone does go to the residency fair, give the people at my old program (USF) some crap, and say its from me. Throw something at them, smile, and say it was from me. I'll give you SDN kudos. :)
Now, don't throw anything at the Georgetown EM program people!

Q

DrQuinn said:
Not going. Have fun though. If anyone does go to the residency fair, give the people at my old program (USF) some crap, and say its from me. Throw something at them, smile, and say it was from me. I'll give you SDN kudos. :)
Now, don't throw anything at the Georgetown EM program people!

Q
We get SDN kudos from you and the black ball from USF. What a bargain!! :laugh: :laugh:

Going. I'm the guy signing all the autographs.

going, staying at the JW Marriott. Would be interested in getting the SDNers together for drinks.

BKN said:
going, staying at the JW Marriott. Would be interested in getting the SDNers together for drinks.

I'll be there. Doubletree.

mike

Hey guys. I'm new here but I'm going. I'm not sure where I'm staying yet, my 4th year budget is getting really strained!

I'll be there...

If you are still looking for accomodations, try Priceline. I scored a room at the "W New Orleans" for $71 a night. It's a couple blocks from the convention center and a couple blocks from the French Quarter. If you book straight from the hotel's website it's $250 a night.

Members don't see this ad :)
going. not sure where I am staying

Sorry for the silly question but what do you wear to these things? Dress pants/nice top, dress pants/dress shirt, suit? (for a female)

Thanks!

Depends. You can be pretty casual. I think as a resident I wore jeans/shirt my first year. If I thought I would be doing a meet/greet thing, I would dress up a bit.

BTW, staying at the International House

Depends. You can be pretty casual. I think as a resident I wore jeans/shirt my first year. If I thought I would be doing a meet/greet thing, I would dress up a bit.

BTW, staying at the International House

The Bellagio.

Oh sorry, I'll be in Vegas.:D

Would this be helpful to go to as a MS4? I've heard from some that it's a good way to meet PDs, but others say students just get lost in the crowd & it's more for residents/attendings.

Would this be helpful to go to as a MS4? I've heard from some that it's a good way to meet PDs, but others say students just get lost in the crowd & it's more for residents/attendings.

Most of the programs participate in the EMRA residency fair. Usually a PD or Asst PD and a chief resident at the table. It's a two hour gab fest and conversations tend to be short. But you might pick up some info that isn't reflected on the web site. You might make a bit of an impression.

The meeting itself is well worthwhile at the MS4 level. Lots of review courses by major minds on important topics.

If attending the EMRA residency fair, what is the appropriate male attire? And what to wear during the courses?

What are some good questions to ask the PD?

Aside from making sure to not be a complete jerk, What are the NO NOs?

1. Absolutely NO glass on the street, anywhere. As I heard (twice): "You can have a 64 ounce bottle of alcohol legally on the street, as long as it isn't glass"

2. No pissing in the street (you WILL get caught and ticketed!)

3. Do not force yourself on anyone - don't worry, there will be plenty of people letting you do your thing to them

If attending the EMRA residency fair, what is the appropriate male attire? And what to wear during the courses?

Suit for fair, casual OK for courses

What are some good questions to ask the PD?

:rolleyes:
Things that you want to know, rather than what you think will impress.

Do not hit on the chief resident.

Suit for fair, casual OK for courses

:rolleyes:
Things that you want to know, rather than what you think will impress.

Do not hit on the chief resident.

I knew I shouldnt have done that haha.

I would like to go if it does not cost me $500 plus. Thanks for the tip on priceline.

Speaking as a chief resident, I have NO problem being hit on.

Had no luck with priceline. Hotwire just had a 4-star up for $84. I jumped on it. I got the intercontinental hotel. SWEET! Good luck folks!

Do not get so drunk that you puke on a PD's shoes.

OK, this is sort of complicated so I want to be sure I understand. You're saying yacking on the PD is bad, right?

Take care,
Jeff

yeah, but i think puking *with* the PD (or ass. PD - if he/she is a hottie) is not only acceptable but probably beneficial to your application.

yeah, but i think puking *with* the PD (or ass. PD - if he/she is a hottie) is not only acceptable but probably beneficial to your application.

What happens in NOLA stays in NOLA.

Speaking as a chief resident, I have NO problem being hit on.

I concur - my liver & I will be representing...

As for hotels, I've got my balcony booked on the corner of Bourbon & Toulouse.

The Bellagio.

Oh sorry, I'll be in Vegas.:D

Then you'll be with the smart people...the dentists. ADA is having their conference in Vegas the same time as ours in New Orleans. Have to say I am jealous.

I concur - my liver & I will be representing...

As for hotels, I've got my balcony booked on the corner of Bourbon & Toulouse.

I am also staying on Toulouse at the Hotel St. Marie.

I want to go to the EMRA MS portion - it looks perfect for me. I will be in the middle of General Surgery, however - do you think they will mind if I just go for a weekend? I've always wanted to see New Orleans...

i get to go since i got off (prelim medicine year) and the em folks here say that they will pay for the conference fees and lodging!

I want to go to the EMRA MS portion - it looks perfect for me. I will be in the middle of General Surgery, however - do you think they will mind if I just go for a weekend? I've always wanted to see New Orleans...

Go talk to the clerkship director, before actually asking, I would say: I have already registered for a yearly National Emergency Medicine Conference for medical students put on by the emergency medicine residents association; I am interested in EM as a career and plan on going to talk some PDs and pick up whatever tips I can about the application process. I need to come talk to you because I am on your rotation and need your permission for being excused friday evening, saturday and sunday. Tell him the event is all day Saturday, you plan on leaving at whatever time on friday because that is the latest flight out and will be at work 4am on Monday morning.

If the clerkship director tells you no (which I do not think would happen), I would go tell my student affairs advisor (who should be working for you/voicing your concerns/future plans). They can not techincally hold you back from doing something like this...

Good luck.

BTW, I missed 2.5 days of surgery, and 2.5 days of Psych to go do recruiting for my school of medicine. It was painless and the director did not even question it... just told me to make sure my assigned residents new I would be gone so they didnt try calling him to track me down.

Sounds like great advice, thanks!

Go talk to the clerkship director, before actually asking, I would say: I have already registered for a yearly National Emergency Medicine Conference for medical students put on by the emergency medicine residents association; I am interested in EM as a career and plan on going to talk some PDs and pick up whatever tips I can about the application process. I need to come talk to you because I am on your rotation and need your permission for being excused friday evening, saturday and sunday. Tell him the event is all day Saturday, you plan on leaving at whatever time on friday because that is the latest flight out and will be at work 4am on Monday morning.

If the clerkship director tells you no (which I do not think would happen), I would go tell my student affairs advisor (who should be working for you/voicing your concerns/future plans). They can not techincally hold you back from doing something like this...

Good luck.

BTW, I missed 2.5 days of surgery, and 2.5 days of Psych to go do recruiting for my school of medicine. It was painless and the director did not even question it... just told me to make sure my assigned residents new I would be gone so they didnt try calling him to track me down.

hey i'm a third year from SoCAL who is new to the EM board and will be going! Don't know where I'm staying yet. But will definitely try priceline!

here's a random question that I could use some assistance with. I'm a M3 presenting a poster in the research forum, what should I wear for the actual "presentation of the poster"? I'm guessing suit? I'll be at the conference, but only staying through Monday, couldn't arrange any more time off from clerkships.

here's a random question that I could use some assistance with. I'm a M3 presenting a poster in the research forum, what should I wear for the actual "presentation of the poster"? I'm guessing suit? I'll be at the conference, but only staying through Monday, couldn't arrange any more time off from clerkships.

suit.

Is anyone going to this President's reception? I saw the black tie optional part and am wondering if I should bring a fancy pants dress to New Orleans. Otherwise I am just bringing a bunch of business casual stuff.

Thanks.