New Orleans Job Market

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dr. maybe

mongoose
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know about the job market here and how to contact the medical directors at various hospitals? This seem like a difficult market to figure out by googling alone.
Thank you to anyone in advance!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks Dakota. I actually talked with the group at West Jeff recently. Any idea whether University is looking for new docs, and if so, are they considering new grads?

You can always ask, but as far as I know University is a bit overstaffed at the moment. This might change once the new hospital opens next year (I'll believe it when I see it).

Because it's a 4 year program they don't typically hire 3 year grads right out the gate.

Next year? Thought projected opening was 2015

The job market here fluctuates quite a bit. Some years there are jobs everywhere and other years it's really tight. Most ERs are staffed by Schumacher (Tulane, Touro), Van Meter and Associates (University and a few outlying places like Bogalusa and Lallie Kemp), or Ochsner. Not sure what the setup is over at West Jefferson hospital.

If you are willing to commute a bit there have recently been openings at Our Lady of the Lake in Baton Rouge, Terrebonne General in Houma always needs help, and Chabert Medical Center (also in Houma) is looking for a new FTE.

At least half of the graduating class at LSU New Orleans wants to stay in the area.

I second the fluctuation. There are 3 EM programs in Louisiana and many of the grads are looking to stay in state. Thus, the supply is a bit higher than other places. Regardless, most non-academic places are looking to higher more docs. The closing of Earl K. Long in Baton Rouge has probably skewed the market there for the time being as the other hospitals cope with the influx of indigent patients.

A few of my classmates got on with Schumacher or Ochsner in BR, NOLA, or Lafayette. A lot of the openings at the time seemed to be at the BFE hospitals.

Should say year after next. Projected opening Spring 2015. The way things go around here I'd plan on sometime between Spring 2025 and never.

I'm at LSU, preaching to the choir :laugh: I would be surprised if it opened on schedule, but it does seem like, just based on passing glances, they're actually making good headway with construction

If by chance University opened on time, would there be a need for increased faculty?

Sorry, I'm a med student, not privy to those details - should have given that detail from the start given the nature of the thread