Scoping Motion Sickness

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Homunculus

SDN Caveman Administrator
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
so i'm a peds GI fellow, and as a first year they finally set me loose on colonoscopies.

EGD's have been fine, but for some reason i have had issues with motion sickness with the colons.:oops: i had issues with FPS games (but would eventually adjust) and wondered if anyone else had the same issues or knew of ways to minimize it. i've read some online regarding the gamers motion sickness thing, and they suggested having the screen further away from you. i will try that next. otherwise i will plan on just muscling through it, lol. i mentioned it to one of my attendings and he said trying to minimize rotation around the scope axis may help-- will try that next time as well.

thanks in advance . . .

--your friendly neighborhood nausea avoiding caveman

Members don't see this ad.

You're doing it wrong. Hope that helps.

You're doing it wrong. Hope that helps.

yeah, that helps. kind of like how the attendings say "go there" when the lumen is in view. i would have never thought to advance in the lumen-- i thought we were supposed to slide along the walls. . .

at any rate, things have dramatically improved after a few small environmental changes (and getting more colons under my belt). i leave more ambient light on in the suite and back the screen off a bit. functionally i'm doing well, had a TI in 10 minutes last week (though on a 12 month old) and hopefully have moved past it.

hopefully if someone else has similar issues they'll find this thread.

--your friendly neighborhood TI seeking caveman