USMLE Scored incredibly low on step 1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

klatt

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an IMG and I scored a 203 and i am very disgusted with myself right now. I thought I would do a lot better than that. I know the only way to salvage this is to do well in step 2, but I am very defeated and just don't know what to do anymore, do I have any chances in IM/Psych/FM at all? How have others in this position fared?

Members don't see this ad.

I am an IMG and I scored a 203 and i am very disgusted with myself right now. I thought I would do a lot better than that. I know the only way to salvage this is to do well in step 2, but I am very defeated and just don't know what to do anymore, do I have any chances in IM/Psych/FM at all? How have others in this position fared?
Pick yourself up and study hard for clerkships and step 2. Do Uworld early and often. You have two choices - either you quit now or you try hard and succeed. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Very sorry to hear this. Don't lose heart!
A good residency is still possible with good step 2 and resume.
Best of luck!

Passing with a low score is still much better than failing. You have plenty of chances to improve, this is not the end for you. Let this serve as a motivation to do well in third and fourth years. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Pick yourself up and study hard for clerkships and step 2. Do Uworld early and often. You have two choices - either you quit now or you try hard and succeed. Good luck!
i am in the same boat. thank you for the advice

Good news is you passed and can still be a doctor! You know by now that the only thing we can do in this profession to get something we want is to work hard for it, so that's my advice! Rock step 2 and do your best to shine on rotations. Get some good letter of rec's.

Good news is you passed and can still be a doctor! You know by now that the only thing we can do in this profession to get something we want is to work hard for it, so that's my advice! Rock step 2 and do your best to shine on rotations. Get some good letter of rec's.

Thank you for the encouraging words.