scores for kaplan MCAT #3

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bebella24

Dr. EmPathY
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

just wanted to know if you guys saw any score improvements thus far. Here are mine.

diag: 19
Full Length 1: 25
Full Length 3: 28
Full length 7: 29
Full Length 8: 33

thankx

Members don't see this ad.

bebella24 said:
Hey guys,

just wanted to know if you guys saw any score improvements thus far. Here are mine.

thankx

nice improvement....im waiting to see my results...how did u do on FL#2?

unfortunately i was out of town for Full length 2..so i'll take it sometime this week.

FL#1 P11 V13 B12
FL#2 P13 V14 B14
FL#10R P12 V13 B13
FL#11R P13 V13 B14 :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
hey hey bebella
how did you break from the high 20s into the 30s? i'm stuck at the 28-29 range. it's driving me nuts i wanna be in the 30s. i'm doing kaplan.
thanks

bebella24 said:
Hey guys,

thankx

hiya speed racer

well, although it seems that i've constantly been improving, i should add that i took full length 7 and 8 before i took full length three. By that accord, i've actually gone down :scared:

I don't know if full length 3 was just a fluke though...but honestly i've been practicing every day...and sometimes the material on the test are things that i have a better grasp of. I just hope that i have the same luck on mcat day. Knowing my luck..probably not!!

But yeah, i'd reccomend staying motivated and to really burn the fuel. Hope that helps!

I've seen slow, but steady improvement on the Full Lengths. I'm hoping to keep it up...

FL 1: 27
FL 2: 30
FL 3: 31

I was really surprised by my score on FL 3 because the PS kicked my ass, and I left feeling really beaten down. I had to guess all A's for THREE of the passages because I ran out of time! But I guess others felt the same way, so the curve worked in my favor.

thanks for the advice. hey, tiny dancer, you too. how did you kick it from the twenties into the thirties?
for some reason i thought the physical sciences and biological on FL2 were really easy and only got a 7 and an 8....i was totally getting 9s before that. damn.

tiny dancer said:
I've seen slow, but steady improvement on the Full Lengths. I'm hoping to keep it up...

FL 1: 27
FL 2: 30
FL 3: 31

I was really surprised by my score on FL 3 because the PS kicked my ass, and I left feeling really beaten down. I had to guess all A's for THREE of the passages because I ran out of time! But I guess others felt the same way, so the curve worked in my favor.

bebella24 said:
well, although it seems that i've constantly been improving, i should add that i took full length 7 and 8 before i took full length three. By that accord, i've actually gone down :scared:
Maybe you could list them in chronological order in future threads... :p

bebella24 said:
I don't know if full length 3 was just a fluke though...but honestly i've been practicing every day...
Don't worry too much. I went down too!
Not exactly the progression I was looking for, but I'm just concentration on brushing up on the content areas that FL3 pointed out I need to work on, not stressing about the numbers! :rolleyes:

Diag.: 29 - PS-9 VR-11 BS-9
FL #1: 32 - PS-11 VR-10 BS-11
FL #2: 35 - PS-12 VR-13 BS-10
FL #3: 31 - PS-10 VR-12 BS-9

I am not as high as some of you, but I will play for those that wonder about those without 30's

Diagnostic : 7 7 9 = 22
FL#1 : 7 10 7 = 24
Fl#6 : 8 10 6 = 26
Fl #7 : 8 10 9 = 27
Fl #2 : 7 9 9 = 25
Fl #3 : 9 10 9 = 28

Perhaps, I should be happy that I am a URM.

Perhaps you should be happy that you're obviously working hard and showing improvement!
There are still over 3 weeks to go. Just keep at it! :)
StartingLine3 said:
I am not as high as some of you, but I will play for those that wonder about those without 30's

Diagnostic : 7 7 9 = 22
FL#1 : 7 10 7 = 24
Fl#6 : 8 10 6 = 26
Fl #7 : 8 10 9 = 27
Fl #2 : 7 9 9 = 25
Fl #3 : 9 10 9 = 28

Perhaps, I should be happy that I am a URM.

SpeedRacer said:
thanks for the advice. hey, tiny dancer, you too. how did you kick it from the twenties into the thirties?
for some reason i thought the physical sciences and biological on FL2 were really easy and only got a 7 and an 8....i was totally getting 9s before that. damn.

SpeedRacer-

I totally agree with what you said about FL2. I thought that the PS was super easy and I walked away from it thinking I had rocked it, but my PS score stayed 9 for all three FL's. I'd say that it has a lot to do with the curves, but my percentages for PS were not that different between FL1 and FL2.

As far as how I've been able to improve my score, the initial jump from 19 on the diagnostic to 27 on FL1 I think had mostly to do with the fact that when I took the diagnostic I had never seen an MCAT question before. On top of that, I hadn't even started Bio II, Physics II, or Orgo II (I'm taking them this semester). So for PS and BS, I think the increases that I saw (from 6's on the diag to 9s/10s) were just due to the fact that I did my best to keep up with the reading for the class and I tried to learn as much of the stuff I'd never seen before for the first time through Kaplan. I tried to go over the review notes before class (at least skim if I didn't have time), and I tried to keep up with the topicals (which I never managed to do that great on, but I think it still helps to drill in how the concepts could potentially be tested). I haven't been able to devote much time to the MCAT because of schoolwork, but I definitely plan on looking through the lesson book a couple times and using the flashcards, and I'm hoping that'll bump up my PS and BS scores.

As far as VR, I've gone from 7 on the diag to a 12 on FL3, and I think this just has to do with practice. I don't think the verbal stuff they teach in the Kaplan class has been very helpful for me, but it seems like practice has helped me a lot, at least when I can find the time to do a couple of passages.

StartingLine- a 28 is a great score! You should be proud of your improvement, and don't only compare yourself to the people who post on SDN, since people are more inclined to post if they are proud of what they're getting. You're above the average and tons of people have gotten accepted into medical school with scores lower than a 28. It's definitely a competitive score and you're obviously dedicated since you've taken the time to do FL's 6 and 7 (which I need to get around to doing!) Don't be down on yourself and keep up the good work! :thumbup:

wow you should be a motivational speaker! thanks for the encouragement. i'm at the library as we speak.

tiny dancer said:
SpeedRacer-

I totally agree with what you said about FL2. I thought that the PS was super easy and I walked away from it thinking I had rocked it, but my PS score stayed 9 for all three FL's. I'd say that it has a lot to do with the curves, but my percentages for PS were not that different between FL1 and FL2.

As far as how I've been able to improve my score, the initial jump from 19 on the diagnostic to 27 on FL1 I think had mostly to do with the fact that when I took the diagnostic I had never seen an MCAT question before. On top of that, I hadn't even started Bio II, Physics II, or Orgo II (I'm taking them this semester). So for PS and BS, I think the increases that I saw (from 6's on the diag to 9s/10s) were just due to the fact that I did my best to keep up with the reading for the class and I tried to learn as much of the stuff I'd never seen before for the first time through Kaplan. I tried to go over the review notes before class (at least skim if I didn't have time), and I tried to keep up with the topicals (which I never managed to do that great on, but I think it still helps to drill in how the concepts could potentially be tested). I haven't been able to devote much time to the MCAT because of schoolwork, but I definitely plan on looking through the lesson book a couple times and using the flashcards, and I'm hoping that'll bump up my PS and BS scores.

As far as VR, I've gone from 7 on the diag to a 12 on FL3, and I think this just has to do with practice. I don't think the verbal stuff they teach in the Kaplan class has been very helpful for me, but it seems like practice has helped me a lot, at least when I can find the time to do a couple of passages.

StartingLine- a 28 is a great score! You should be proud of your improvement, and don't only compare yourself to the people who post on SDN, since people are more inclined to post if they are proud of what they're getting. You're above the average and tons of people have gotten accepted into medical school with scores lower than a 28. It's definitely a competitive score and you're obviously dedicated since you've taken the time to do FL's 6 and 7 (which I need to get around to doing!) Don't be down on yourself and keep up the good work! :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all,
I am a bit nervous too
Diag 16
FL#1 25
FL #6 25
FL #7 24
FL # 9 25
FL # 2 27
Can some one help me to get into the 30's? My goal is a 35 and I'm working my butt off PS is what's really holding me down that 27 on FL #2 consisted of 7, 10, 10. We have Full length #3 on Saturday and prayfully I can hit 30. Tiny Dancer can you give me some pointers too?
:)

PHD_2007 said:
Hey all,
I am a bit nervous too
Diag 16
FL#1 25
FL #6 25
FL #7 24
FL # 9 25
FL # 2 27
Can some one help me to get into the 30's? My goal is a 35 and I'm working my butt off PS is what's really holding me down that 27 on FL #2 consisted of 7, 10, 10. We have Full length #3 on Saturday and prayfully I can hit 30. Tiny Dancer can you give me some pointers too?

hey PHD, i was sorta in a similar situation
my breakdown was:
diag: 7p 6v 8b
fl 1: 7p 10v 11b
fl 2: 10p 11v 11b

i was pretty ecstatic about my physical sciences improvement. basically what i did between full length one and two was go over the physics review book from exam crackers, and also the physics section in the kaplan review book. While I went over the kaplan material, I made up a formula sheet for the different equations we had to know. I also used the EK book to cross check which formulas were really important to understand the concept. And that was it. I ended up writing 3 pages of notes for physics, and it really helped me understand the concepts that were being emphasized on the test.

Also i did this over a three day period alone in the library. like i did it from 6-12 for three days straight, after i finished eating and with a cup of starbucks coffee by my side. The coffee REALLY helped me get through the material instead of just zoning out and sleeping like i usually do.

Dunno if that helps, but i plan on doing the same thing for gen chem and orgo so that I can improve some more. good luck.

Thanks for the support everyone :). Cant wait until tomarrow afternoon when I can start studying MCAT again .... have a cell biology test tomarrow. Back to studying ..

PHD_2007 said:
Hey all,
I am a bit nervous too
Diag 16
FL#1 25
FL #6 25
FL #7 24
FL # 9 25
FL # 2 27

Thanks for your confidence in me, PHD2007, but I'm not sure I'm the best person to turn to... after all I'm in the same boat you are in! :cool: Congrats on getting 10s on VR and BS, those are really solid scores.

As far as the PS, Tao gave some really great advice. If you've got the time, doing what he did would be a great way to review and drill in most of the important concepts. As much as I'd like to be able to do that, I think a lot of us are under a lot of time pressures what with MCAT stuff, school, work, and trying to squeeze some fun in here and there, so for me it's not really feasible.

So for the PS, if you're finding that you don't know the equations to help answer the questions, then I'd suggest just looking over Kaplan's formula sheet, just to make sure you're familiar with them. But even more important than that, is when you are looking through the review notes and stuff, you don't have to memorize all the formulas! Just look at the relationships between variables, it really helps a lot to understand how things relate conceptually, like when things are proportional or inversely proportional or whatever.

Usually you can derive a bunch of equations just by knowing a couple. And if you can't remember the relationships when you're taking a test - look at the units! I find that if I'm not sure, a lot of times I can figure out how to get the answer by looking at the units of what they give you and the units of the constants (of course this gets thrown off if there's a 1/2 or something's squared in the formula, but it's a great place to start if you don't know the formula off the top of your head).

Also, I think it would help to go over your past FL's, if you haven't already done so. I haven't been able to motivate myself to go over the ones I got right on FL's 1 and 2 (I keep telling myself, "hey, I got them right for a reason, right?" when I realize that there's a good chance I had guessed on it!) I haven't been able to spend a lot of time in going over them, but I do think it helps even when I just look at the question, what I put, the work I wrote around it, and then read Kaplan's answer explanation. It's hard to be motivated to do it, because it's easy to say, oh well this question was passage-specific so going over it won't help me on future tests, but you never know when a similar thing will pop up again. I run into that mindset a lot, so I end up just glancing at the test and skimming over the explanation, but I do think even doing that much helps.

Hope that helped, sorry I don't have much to offer, but maybe someone out there can help us both out!

(Also: A word of advice when you take FL3- don't get discouraged by the PS. Concentrate and watch your time! It's my humble opinion that it was harder than the 1st two. For FL's 1 and 2, I finished PS with extra time, but didn't even get close to finishing FL3. With 5 minutes left, I ended up having to fill in A's for like three entire passages worth of questions, but because of the curve, my PS score didn't go down. So don't feel bummed out if you don't leave feeling like you aced it, you probably did just as well as you had on the one before, or even better! -- A lot of people I talked to at the test had similar problems with not being able to finish, and that was definitely reflected in the curve. I think a lot of it had to do with me not focusing, I had just gotten my score report and saw that on every single section on FL2, if I had gotten one more question right, it would have bumped my score up a whole point so I kept thinking, every question counts, every question counts... which is NOT a very effective way to take an 85 minute section :idea:

You guys are all improving and practicing, and that is the most important thing. Some people see dramatic improvement over one test, while others go up incrementally over multiple tests, but I think all of you who posted here are in good shape.

Those of you who are asking what you can do to try to break into the 30s: try to schedule a few extra full-length tests if you can, and take some of the AAMC tests rather than just the Kaplan ones. Unfortunately, they are only available at your center, not online. But it is still a good idea to try one or two of them so that you can see a test written by someone else other than Kaplan. Most students find that the Kaplan PS sections in particular are harder than the real PS sections, so if you're struggling with Kaplan's PS, you really ought to try at least one AAMC PS section.

Good luck to all of the April testtakers! :luck:

What the heck? I just improved by 2 in physical and by four points overall ... and I thought I did WORSE on the 3rd FL physical. Anyway, I'm still not even close to my target score.

I just finished AAMC #7, and I'm feeling much better!

I squeeked into the lowest possible score for a 12 in PS and 12 in BS. I don't know what was happening in the last passage of VR (haven't reviewed the answers yet) but I missed every question on the last passage!!! I was running short on time for that one, and it made a HUGE difference!

Diag. : 29 - PS-9 VR-11 BS-9
AAMC 7: 36 - PS-12 VR-11 BS-13
--edit it looks like I marked two wrong on PS that weren't, moving me up a point! --
--edit again: looks like there were two key errors (or my grading errors!) I was right on the border in PS and BS, and after realizing that I had one more correct answere in each, I ended up at the minimal score for the number that I got. No real performance difference, but it does make me feel happier to see a 36 rather than a 34 none the less...

FL1: VR 8 PS 11 BS 11 30
FL2: VR 11 PS 10 BS 12 33
FL6: VR 10 PS 12 BS 10 32
FL7: VR 10 PS 11 BS 12 33
FL3: VR 11 PS 13 BS 11 35

:luck:

There's only 3 weeks till the MCAT and I can't get my score over a 27! I know I shouldn't freak out, but I can't help it...any advice for bumping my score up? I've been going over all of the kaplan material... :scared:

Is there one particular area that you have the most trouble with, or are you pretty even across the board?

Personally, at this poing I've dumped my big Kaplan books in favor of the more concise ExamKrackers series. I feel like they are smaller, and the Kaplan books seem to big to get through effectively in the short time left.

While I'm certainly looking at my scores on the tests, I'm really trying to focus in on the questions I've missed and the content areas that I dont' know as well. Have you been reviewing all of the incorrect answers on your old exams? I'm going to start to review them again so that I can do a better job of solidifying the concepts that I didn't know the first time around..

Most importantly, don't get too stressed and just keep plugging away at it! :cool:

Also, I'm making sure that I preserve my sanity. I went for a long run yesterday after taking AAMC FL#7. Also, I really wasn't feeling well last night, so I slept in today & took a nap this afternoon! I now feel rested, re-energized, and ready to tackle my studying again! :)

toady said:
There's only 3 weeks till the MCAT and I can't get my score over a 27! I know I shouldn't freak out, but I can't help it...any advice for bumping my score up? I've been going over all of the kaplan material... :scared:

Some hope for those of you who still need to improve... Making large leaps is possible if you work hard! I have kept a positive attitude the entire time, and I think that is KEY.

Diag: 18
FL1:22 V5 P9 B8
FL2:24 V7 P9 B8
FL3:27 V8 P8 B11

It seems that, on the physical section, knowing how to do the problems doesnt really mean anything. I really knew my physics this time and found myself working through the questions and wasting a LOT of time, rather than going through and making an educated guess and finishing the test. Next time im going to use my knowledge to pick out the best looking answer rather than working the entire problem.. Ill let you know how it goes! Hoping to break 30 on the next one!

Also, for those of you who wondered, I began using examkrackers for verbal and i am showing improvements. I just got the EK 101 passages and am going to work hard on them this week. Hopefully I can get up to a 9 on the next FL!

I haven't noticed another thread where people are keeping track of their progress, so I'll just update this one I suppose...

Summary: I've really been busting my butt the last couple of weeks to solidify PS and BS knowledge. My classwork is sliding a bit, but I hope I can make up for that before the next round of exams (Monday and Tuesday!! :eek: ).
Over the last 2 tests I've been quite happy with each individual section score, and I'm pleased that I seem to be lucky enough to balance one slightly "lower" section with one higher section. I received the same total score on AAMC 7 and KAPLAN 4, but no section score was the same! Hopefully I can max them all out on test day! Anyway...

FL#4 was crazy.
I seriously thought that the PS section kicked my @ss!! In all honestly, I did get a little lucky in that I had to guess on several quesitions at the end, and many of the guesses were correct. Still, I was expecting something along the lines of an 11, certainly not my highest PS score to date!

VR was in my range. I'd still think I'm cabale of pushing this up a little bit, but I just didn't seem to "click" with these passages as well as I'd hoped. I'm focusing my studies on PS and BS, so I probably shouldn't be realistically expecting any VR gains...

BS has been where I've been putting a lot of effort. There are some areas that I know very well, and others that are not so good. I'm glad to see that on a test that I felt was pretty challenging, I'm still getting a high score. I was pretty close to dropping down to a 10 from an 11.

Diag. : 29 - PS-9 VR-11 BS-9
AAMC 7: 36 - PS-12 VR-11 BS-13
FL #4: 36 - PS-13 VR-12 BS-11
FL #5: 34 - PS-12 VR-12 BS-10

----- EDIT ----- Added FL#5, I didn't do much MCAT work last week and it showed a bit. I'm glad we're almost done... finally! -----

hey i know this is going to be annoying, but does anyone have the score breakdowns from the kaplan practice mcat #3...i would really appreciate it if someone could send this my day

monu1234 said:
hey i know this is going to be annoying, but does anyone have the score breakdowns from the kaplan practice mcat #3...i would really appreciate it if someone could send this my day
PM me with your scores and I'll look it up later today when I have my FL#3 score report... :)