Scramble Process

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anfhockey10

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those who didn't match last year or for those who didn't match at all, I just wanted to prepare myself for the worst and find out what you guys went through that same day when you found out that you didn't match?

1. So first you looked at programs that you wanted to do your residency at.
2. Then did you call or email the programs that you were interested in? Did you include your transcripts, letter of intent or anything in the email? OR did you wait until the program to contact you to let you know what they want from you?
3. Next would the program let you know if they want to interview you that same day? Or did you have to wait a couple of days until you had interviews from those programs?
4. Did you take that day off just in case you didn't match? I'll be on rotation that day so I just wanted to know if you recommend taking that day off just in case I dont match?

Did this all happen the same day when the match list comes out? Thanks...

Members don't see this ad.

I'm going through the process this year too, so I can't really answer many of your questions. The process starts the same day as the results come out, but I think it continues for at least several days after.

If you scramble, you contact the programs you are interested in by phone or e-mail, and go from there. Don't need to include all the letter of intent, transcript until you contact them first. They will say what they want. Some will be ok with phone interview, some will still require an on-site interview. A few may not participate in scramble and just not fill the spot, many will. My work has many PGY1's and PGY2's and I did my residency training at a different site.

Members don't see this ad :)
rrr: can you comment on how many sites are available and how many student participate? essentially how competitive, i would be willing to go anywhere in the country

Not sure of exact number of sites and how many participate. I'd say that most programs that don't match end up scrambling. Don't know how many programs and positions don't match. The #'s most likely change each year.

How competitive is the process? I talked to someone who said last year it was fairly easy to get a spot in the scramble. Is it mostly luck and timing? If you are relentless and are willing to go anywhere are you likely to land somewhere? If these questions are annoying and just another paranoid before a selection process inquiry then please disregard.

Hello everyone,
What should I do to participate in Scramble Process. I did not get exactly what should I do.
Thanks in advance.

Hello everyone,
What should I do to participate in Scramble Process. I did not get exactly what should I do.
Thanks in advance.

It's a lot like applying for a job - you contact sites participating in the scramble (from the scramble list) - lay out your credentials - and hope they want to hear more from you.