Scrubs in retail pharmacy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rxlove

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just found out today that as of June 1, our "dress code" at Walgreens is changing back in the pharmacy to scrubs and tennis shoes only. I have mixed feelings about it: on one hand, patients associate scrubs with health care, on the other hand, it's not like we are getting our clothes ruined with blood stains and bodily fluids (which I think was the reason for scrubs in the first place?).

What do you think about seeing your pharmacist and pharm techs wearing scrubs at retail pharmacies?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Just found out today that as of June 1, our "dress code" at Walgreens is changing back in the pharmacy to scrubs and tennis shoes only. I have mixed feelings about it: on one hand, patients associate scrubs with health care, on the other hand, it's not like we are getting our clothes ruined with blood stains and bodily fluids (which I think was the reason for scrubs in the first place?).

What do you think about seeing your pharmacist and pharm techs wearing scrubs at retail pharmacies?
you are complaining because why?

Scrubs are badass

Members don't see this ad :)
So comfortable! I feel like a ninja in scrubs.

Reactions: 1 user
Scrubs look silly and sloppy in retail. Since when do you associate your retail pharmacist with scrubs? Even in hospitals I've worked at, most of the pharmacists wear professional dress with the exception of IV/OR or strictly central pharmacists. If they are rounding on the floor you will always seem them in professional clothes, not scrubs.

However, scrubs are comfy, so more power to you...

sounds like a good time to invest in a scrub-making company before every walgreens employee buys 3 or 4 pairs, haha

how awesome is that....less dry cleaning/easier to deal with. That'll shave a good couple hundred $$$ off your bills each year.

So you basically got a raise :thumbup:

I personally don't like the idea. What is the utility of scrubs? We're not getting ourselves dirty. I think a shirt/tie looks more professional than scrubs. Does the pharmacist have to wear scrubs as well? I wouldn't have too much of a problem if the techs/interns wear scrubs while the pharmacist still dresses professionally.

What would I do with all of my Jerry Garcia ties?????

I think Kroger's already does that in their pharmacies down in the South...

I am against the idea, as I always found scrubs hideous. But then again, I can't say I dress nicely for my once-in-a-while retail shifts. There are reasons office jobs rule - you can actually wear nice clothes and particularly the nice shoes (the kind you could never last 8+ hours wearing if you were standing all that time).

What would I do with all of my Jerry Garcia ties?????

Tie it around your head, while donning scrubs.

Sounds like even less breaks for Wags pharmacists in the future. They are trying to get you as comfortable as possible so you can work work work.

Best scrubs belong to hospital surgery departments... those scrubs that's been washed gazillion times...they're very soft often with hospital logos.

I have 2 pairs of scrubs from 20 years ago when I worked OR satelite...

I still wear them around the house...and I wore the heck out of it working at different hospitals. It's the best. :thumbup:

I agree, if the pharmacist still dresses professionally, this is a great idea... if not, wow, again what an effing joke.

Members don't see this ad :)
qualitynod.gif

Scrubs are awesome. Back when I was a technician, I fought for 6 months to have scrubs allowed in our pharmacy. I created a business plan, sent copies to the DM and pharmacy manager, and basically lobbied my ass off. The best news is we got it!

Of course, I left for pharmacy school a month later, but it was the most comfy month I ever had working in the pharmacy. I went back for winter break and the new regional manager axed the whole thing, but I'll never forget my contribution.

Scrubs are considered professional dress for healthcare workers, I don't know why you would think differently. Thanks to media, when someone sees a worker wearing scrubs, they have immediate images of a professional on the job. Just keep your scrubs as clean and neat as you would anything else.

I can't wait to go on hospital rotations just so I can wear scrubs again.

Huh? What in the world were you guys wearing before scrubs? Seems out of place.

Why wouldn't they just wear labcoats or professional dress... That's what we do at CVS, everyone in the pharmacy is supposed to wear them with nice to professional clothes.
I think labcoats convey professionalism more than scrubs, but that's just me.

Huh? What in the world were you guys wearing before scrubs? Seems out of place.

Why wouldn't they just wear labcoats or professional dress... That's what we do at CVS, everyone in the pharmacy is supposed to wear them with nice to professional clothes.
I think labcoats convey professionalism more than scrubs, but that's just me.

What about labcoats.. over scrubs! The ultimate combination!

The new dress code only effects techs. Pharmacists will have the same business casual with lab coat. The lab coats will just be coming from a new supplier.
If you read that e-mail closely, techs only get one set of scrubs. Some of my techs were complaining about that they will be forced to buy scrubs through Lands End.

I love scrubs. I have saved a ****load of money and time because of them. And, I am always comfy. I like wearing the scrubs from up in the OR the best. But I can't do that all the time because everyone is "color coded". Our pharmacists switch it up. They wear scrubs some days and professional dress other days. Sometimes they wear scrubs with the white coat.

do people really dry clean their dress clothes?

are you guys wearing suits or what? I havent had any problem washing my own clothes up to this point

As long as the pharmacist is still in a shirt and tie with a white coat, I think it's fantastic. They should also get rid of techs wearing white coats if they're switching to the scrub model.

Maybe people will finally be able to tell who the pharmacist is.

As long as the pharmacist is still in a shirt and tie with a white coat, I think it's fantastic. They should also get rid of techs wearing white coats if they're switching to the scrub model.

Hey, I like people referring to me as "doc" :)

Yeah, being that I look like the oldest in my store, I always get the customers asking me if I'm the pharmacist, while the two women who are pharmacists just stand there disgusted that none of the customers ever think that they are the pharmacist.

I actually don't like working with female pharmacists because most of them don't talk about anything remotely interesting. Back with my last supervisor, we used to argue all the time about Mets Vs Yankees, Knicks Vs Nets, Jets Vs Giants, Rangers Vs Islanders, cars, video games, now its....keep filling scripts under 15 mins, do cycle counts, getting yelled at for ordering from Cardinal when the wearhouse has it. :rolleyes:

White coats have been causing some controversy in the infection control committees around hospitals due to potential infection risk. Some hospitals have gone so far as to ban the use of white coats. The AMA last I heard was set to recommend that hospitals ban white coats but decided that the subject needed further study.

I've seen some physicians and pharmacists white coats and they are some pretty god awful ones out there. I swear that some of them sit on them on the way to work and never wash them. I don't think there's been an actual study verifying the transmission from white coat to patient but I can see the theoretical risk.

I'm not sure what their thinking is here and since it doesn't even affect pharmacists, I doubt that it is due to infection control. Especially since they are only giving you one scrub. :rolleyes: But I wouldn't be totally against ditching the traditional white coat. Or at least implementing some sort of requiring periodic cleaning. ;)

I don't know about everyone else, but I don't really feel like a professional when I'm ringing up dog food or working the drive through. Customers don't care what I'm wearing. They just want their prescriptions filled in under 15 minutes.

I once interviewed at a long term care pharmacy where the pharmacy manager had instituted a scrubs-only policy for the techs. She said that it was because the "young gals kept coming in wearing mini-skirts and belly shirts like loose women."

I once interviewed at a long term care pharmacy where the pharmacy manager had instituted a scrubs-only policy for the techs. She said that it was because the "young gals kept coming in wearing mini-skirts and belly shirts like loose women."

Can't say I am not surprised. During our summers here in AZ, it is not surprising to see women wearing strings and pasties.

Most "dry clean only" clothes can be washed in a washing machine, (and even dried in a drier) just use cold water, a mild detergent with no bleach and low settings.

You can even safely press suit coats with an iron - just place a thin damp (barely damp) towel over it - don't put the iron directly on the coat.

Most "dry clean only" clothes can be washed in a washing machine, (and even dried in a drier) just use cold water, a mild detergent with no bleach and low settings.

You can even safely press suit coats with an iron - just place a thin damp (barely damp) towel over it - don't put the iron directly on the coat.

Too much effort. I just buy the dry cleaning at home thing by Dryel. Pop the stuff in the bag, throw in the cloth, and put it in the dryer for 30 minutes. Viola!

I'm not sure how this relates?

I was so excited when I heard the news. No more ties for me.
Chicks have it so easy, they can get away with hooded sweatshirts and miniskirts but I have to wear a shirt and tie with slacks and dress shoes.

Also, I'm ordering the biggest set of scrubs I can find and pretend to be a superhero.

youre too young to know a barber...you probably go to a beautician or a stylist... real barber uses real blades to shave you...the same blade hes used on every customer since 1973... holy ...i hope the barbicide kills all like they claim to.

youre too young to know a barber...you probably go to a beautician or a stylist... real barber uses real blades to shave you...the same blade hes used on every customer since 1973... holy ...i hope the barbicide kills all like they claim to.

Yeah, I've been to one of those, except I never remember seeing them wear a white coat. And yes, I usually ask them to use a razor blade for shaving (he changes it for every customer, the actual blade holder is the same for everyone, but he brings out a new blade for each person).

that's how.

I tend to have very limited dry clean only but I do wash them on gentle and hang to dry

Gotcha, still not sure why my post was quoted though...

And in regards to the Barbicide, have you ever read the side of the container? It kills everything. It even separates out "Pseudomonicidal". I think that's the next big gram-negative antibiotic, right there.

And in regards to the Barbicide, have you ever read the side of the container? It kills everything. It even separates out "Pseudomonicidal". I think that's the next big gram-negative antibiotic, right there.

100% Isopropyl alcohol will probably kill everything too.. and I'm sure there are many compounds that will kill every known organism known to man..

Unfortunately, systemic use of such compound will kill the host also..

:smuggrin:

You are a bunch of fools....Here is a real barber.

barber.jpg

Scrubs are very comfortable and very cheap (like $10 at walmart). I don't think patients will really care either way, but I think its good to know which person behind the counter is the actual pharmacist.

You are a bunch of fools....Here is a real barber.
Actually may be two barbers if you look in the reflection. Or maybe one barber and one of the other white-coated workers you've mentioned previously.