Scrubs in retail pharmacy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
why are you calling me a fool? Where did I mis-describe a barber?? I think I see the razor blade... does he sharpen that on a leather strap?

You are a bunch of fools....Here is a real barber.

barber.jpg

Members don't see this ad.

I was so excited when I heard the news. No more ties for me.
Chicks have it so easy, they can get away with hooded sweatshirts and miniskirts but I have to wear a shirt and tie with slacks and dress shoes.

Also, I'm ordering the biggest set of scrubs I can find and pretend to be a superhero.

I have never understood this. The dress code is essentially for male employees. I do not understand why I have to wear a shirt and tie in Dallas in the middle of summer when my female partner gets away with wearing a sleeveless shirt under a lab coat and Capri pants. I figure if I have to wear a shirt and tie then the females should have to wear a business suit.

why are you calling me a fool? Where did I mis-describe a barber?? I think I see the razor blade... does he sharpen that on a leather strap?

Its fun calling you a fool even though I did not secifically identify you. I said you all are fools which was directed mostly to the two posters who said they had never seen a barber in a white coat.

I go to super cuts now and a black lady named Samantha cuts my hair. She cuts my hair better than anyone I have ever gone to.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have never understood this. The dress code is essentially for male employees. I do not understand why I have to wear a shirt and tie in Dallas in the middle of summer when my female partner gets away with wearing a sleeveless shirt under a lab coat and Capri pants. I figure if I have to wear a shirt and tie then the females should have to wear a business suit.

I'm with you here. I would wear a suit, too. It is more professional. All the docs here at the hospital wear suits - both women and men. Women will wear skirt suits, but they cannot be short.

I'm with you here. I would wear a suit, too. It is more professional. All the docs here at the hospital wear suits - both women and men. Women will wear skirt suits, but they cannot be short.

It was the complete disparity between work uniforms for women and men in the pharmacy that was the basis for my scrubs business plan. I claimed an inequality in the workplace that set the ball rolling for me to show up to work in (practically) pajamas. It worked to!

It was the complete disparity between work uniforms for women and men in the pharmacy that was the basis for my scrubs business plan. I claimed an inequality in the workplace that set the ball rolling for me to show up to work in (practically) pajamas. It worked to!

awesome!! nothing like using the system against itself

I don't get it either, it's pretty inequal.

I hate my scrubs but I am addicted to them. I got out of school thinking I was going to dress up every single day to go to work. I don't know what happen but I found myself wearing the silly looking modern day pjs called scrubs and I can't stop.

My addiction is fueled by the fact that I can just hop into my "work pjs" and get right away into the most important part of my morning routine: ask 10 000 time my 5yo to brush his teeth, fight with a 9mo baby who does not wanna wake up, breakfast, daycare..etc

When I do feel like dressing up to go to work I have to cut 30-45 min of sleep to make it happen cz then I feel like wearing make up also:laugh:
But you know what all that are just excuses for my pure laziness !!!! scrubs are not comfortable, because saying that is implying that everyday clothes are not ( the right fit is comfortable). They are just a mindless, quick fix way to get dress for a lazy behind.

One day, I will get rid of all my pjs in my closet and start dressing up proprely to go to work..yes one day

PS: maternity scrubs do last (before you have to go to the next size) you longer than regular maternity clothes

Consider yourself lucky... the folks at the Walgreen's pharm here in my hometown wear HAWAIIAN SHIRTS. :laugh: We thank our lucky stars everyday we don't wear that. lol

omg hhahahaahahaha that sucks!

Yeahhh... seriously. lol

Apparently they wanted this? :scared:

I'd say a very huge percentage of our customers/patients are tourists, so I'd assume that Walgreen's has just as many or more.

Through all of my rotations, school, work, I've never worn scrubs. Unless I'm at risk for some bodily fluid being dumped on me, I see no need. Surgery scrubs probably are nice, if I was a surgeon, I'd wear them to perform surgery in. I usually wear slacks and a nice shirt, sometimes a tie. I virtually never wear a white coat either, uncomfortable and spread bacteria.

Members don't see this ad :)
Consider yourself lucky... the folks at the Walgreen's pharm here in my hometown wear HAWAIIAN SHIRTS. :laugh: We thank our lucky stars everyday we don't wear that. lol

Wow. I'll definitely have to pass that on to my coworkers who are upset about the change to scrubs. Too funny!

I didn't realize when I made the original post that interns and pharmacists don't have to wear scrubs. That means only one year of scrubs for me! :D

i wore blue scrubs for the last 4 years working at walgreens..I thought that this always has been in effect..basically the whole district where I work wear blue scrubs.

i wore blue scrubs for the last 4 years working at walgreens..I thought that this always has been in effect..basically the whole district where I work wear blue scrubs.
They were experimenting in a couple of districts, your might be one of them.

100% Isopropyl alcohol will probably kill everything too.. and I'm sure there are many compounds that will kill every known organism known to man..

Unfortunately, systemic use of such compound will kill the host also..

:smuggrin:

A microbiology prof once told me that 70% is best -- 100% evaporates too fast, 70% has just enough water to let it disinfect before evaporating.

What will Walgreens interns wear? Scrubs or shirt and tie?

What will Walgreens interns wear? Scrubs or shirt and tie?

Coming from WAG corporate I welcome the change to scrubs while in pharm school! I wear slacks and shirts everyday and suits to client meetings. It will be nice to work 10-15 hours a week in scrubs versus 40+ hours in dress clothes...

And yea the scrubs are only for techs and interns, pharmacists will be in professional dress in order to become more identifible to patients.

Coming from WAG corporate I welcome the change to scrubs while in pharm school! I wear slacks and shirts everyday and suits to client meetings. It will be nice to work 10-15 hours a week in scrubs versus 40+ hours in dress clothes...

And yea the scrubs are only for techs and interns, pharmacists will be in professional dress in order to become more identifible to patients.

The e-mail they sent out said that the scrubs were for techs only, Interns were expected to wear the business casual that pharmacists adhere to - which in my district is business professional.

Thanks for the clarification.

Question- Would I be considered an intern during the school or only in the summer where I would work increased hours and so forth?

Thanks for the clarification.

Question- Would I be considered an intern during the school or only in the summer where I would work increased hours and so forth?

You have an intern licence, right? So you are an intern year-round, until your pharmacist licence replaces your intern licence. I don't know about other states but here in FL you don't even need to renew your intern licence, as long as you are a student it does not expire until you get your pharmacist licence.

Or do you mean would your company classify you as an intern during the school year vs. the summer? Obviously no one here is gonna know what your company is gonna classify you as, but my guess is if they code you as a tech this summer they will leave it that way, unless you have them correct it later on. Of course, I could be wrong. Sorry if I misunderstood the question.

You have an intern licence, right? So you are an intern year-round, until your pharmacist licence replaces your intern licence. I don't know about other states but here in FL you don't even need to renew your intern licence, as long as you are a student it does not expire until you get your pharmacist licence.

Or do you mean would your company classify you as an intern during the school year vs. the summer? Obviously no one here is gonna know what your company is gonna classify you as, but my guess is if they code you as a tech this summer they will leave it that way, unless you have them correct it later on. Of course, I could be wrong. Sorry if I misunderstood the question.

Your second understanding is correct, thats what I am trying to understand. I know nobody would know exactly but sure others have been in the same situation. Also, I do not have an intern license yet as I will be a P1 this fall.

Your second understanding is correct, thats what I am trying to understand. I know nobody would know exactly but sure others have been in the same situation. Also, I do not have an intern license yet as I will be a P1 this fall.

Oh ok. You can only be a tech until you get a licence. After that your company can "promote" you to intern, which should be accompanied by a raise. This happens frequently enough that your company should know how to do this with ease. I thought you already had your licence, but were working as a tech for more hours, which is why I didn't understand the question. Sorry about that.

Congrats on becoming a P1 in the fall.

The new dress code only effects techs. Pharmacists will have the same business casual with lab coat. The lab coats will just be coming from a new supplier.
If you read that e-mail closely, techs only get one set of scrubs. Some of my techs were complaining about that they will be forced to buy scrubs through Lands End.

According to the emails that our store got we could buy scrubs through any supplier that we wanted as long as they were dark blue hospital type scrubs.

On a different note . . . I ordered my free set yesterday. If you've seen the fit guide you'll see how ridiculous buying the scrubs as a set is. I have one tech that's very slender and tall and her scrubs will probably be about 3 inches too short if she buys the xtra small she needs, but a medium is going to swallow her whole even if the pants are long enough. And I ordered to fit my top and now I'm worried that the bottoms will be too small. But anywho . . . I love that we'll be wearing scrubs. No worries about what I'm wearing the next day. They are super comfy. I've paid more than $20 for a pair of scrub pants before so $10.45 + shipping is nothing for a set. And as far as everyone's talking about not looking professional, I really don't understand. Every other HEALTH professional out there wears them and the pharmacists will still be in their business casual, so what't the big deal??

I once interviewed at a long term care pharmacy where the pharmacy manager had instituted a scrubs-only policy for the techs. She said that it was because the "young gals kept coming in wearing mini-skirts and belly shirts like loose women."

I totally understand! I worked with a tech like that at my last job! A mini skirt every other day and shirts too short to cover her belly! Sometimes her labcoat was longer than her skirt . . . But she was an awesome tech and she was fluent in Spanish so we kept her around. :)

You are a bunch of fools....Here is a real barber.

barber.jpg

I don't want someone that grumpy with scissors near my head.

I totally understand! I worked with a tech like that at my last job! A mini skirt every other day and shirts too short to cover her belly! Sometimes her labcoat was longer than her skirt . . . But she was an awesome tech and she was fluent in Spanish so we kept her around. :)

qualitynod.gif

Maybe I'm old school but if I went into a retail pharmacy and saw a pharmacist wearing scrubs or even a tech for that matter, I would get a good solid laugh out of it.

That would be awesome if we could do that in our pharmacy. Especially during the summer.

I think it's a good thing. Now maybe pharmacists and pharm techs will get more respect. Plus, it's always nice to keep the dress code consistant.