Scrubs or Suit?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What do you wear for your typical clinic days?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CaesarRO

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
What do you wear? Throughout training everyone except brachy day dressed up. During the pandemic that changed and now a couple of my colleagues wear scrubs.

For many years I liked dressing up. Now I'm thinking about going to scrubs.

What do you do?

Members don't see this ad.

Switched to scrubs during the pandemic and love it so much I can’t bring myself to go back to dress clothes!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Always wear suits (but seldom with tie). I only wear scrubs on procedure days. Also I don't like to wear white coats as they easily get dirty and tend to freak out patients.
Ditto. I don't know why but it just feels right to me. It helps me stand out too since no one else does.

I pretty much always wear a tie for the first consult... but usually that comes off after that. First impressions... blah, blah.

But.... I would LOVE being in scrubs every day. Outside of work its pretty much all gym clothes for me

Nice shirt and slacks, lost the tie with covid, suits at business events/galas these days.

One of my partners wears scrubs and looks frumpy. I guess the type of scrubs matter too, there are nice brands out there

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Scrubs has made so much of a difference that I would consider leaving if told I couldn’t wear them everyday.

Covid has converted me to M/W scrubs and T/Th slacks and dress shirt. On scrub days I color coordinate with my nurses and NP.

Used to wear a tie every day, now maybe 2 days a week if wearing a plain colored shirt, but not with a patterned shirt, and slacks.

Never wear a suit to work, but I wear my white coat when at our flagship campus, but usually no white coat at our rural satellite which is more informal, farmers come in their overalls.

Regarding white coats, I requested ones with better fabric than the cheap nearly see-through ones that the hospital first provided. They provided really baggy ones, so I got them tailored so I'm not wearing a big white sail. I agree with the post above about liking the big pockets.

I only wear scrubs if coming in after hours or weekends on call.

In all honesty, the place I work in ain’t worth the extra 30seconds to put on a tie so I don’t. No one has given me any static about it. Just waiting for some annoying patient to make a comment though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Used to be dress clothes + tie for residency (no suit). If you had a procedure, you changed for the duration of the procedure then went back to dress clothes + tie.

Dropped the tie when became an attending due to COVID. Haven't put it back on.
Now if I have a procedure the whole day is just scrubs worn in from home... not interested in changing back and forth and keeping different shoes in my office.

Smith J, Doe J, et al. Survey of medical students forced to wear ties on Radiation Oncology clerkships: are we excluding potential colleagues? Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2023 Apr 6;413-420(23)01245-3. doi: 10.1016/j.ijrobp.666.666. Online ahead of print.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 6 users
Smith J, Doe J, et al. Survey of medical students forced to wear ties on Radiation Oncology clerkships: are we excluding potential colleagues? Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2023 Apr 6;413-420(23)01245-3. doi: 10.1016/j.ijrobp.666.666. Online ahead of print.
Ya got me - I was furiously trying to locate that article!

The fact that the above "study" could be viewed by people as genuine is also of concern.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Scrubs on procedure days.
Dress slacks and shirt with no tie on non-clinic non-procedure days.
Shirt and tie with cuff links on clinic days.

Lest anyone think I am pompous, I only wear animal cuff links with matching socks. Patients love it and my long term folks usually express their disappointment when I don’t. It’s an easy thing to do to distract people who need distracting.

A comment on scrubs: f’ the old timers and admins who think they look unprofessional. Plenary of patients have straight up told me that I look more like a “real” doctor when wearing scrubs. If you enjoy dressing up great but to each their own.

Reactions: 4 users
+1 on no white coat, it never matches my outfit.

thankfully they make a lot of dress pants that are nice and stretchy now, probably also due to covid so I don't think my work pants are any less comfy than scrubs would be. Lots of crewneck nicer tshirts with a cardigan and/or crewneck sweaters. I also usually wear fun earrings and people seem to like how they brighten things up. Dresses/skirts are hard as someone who sees a lot of prostate patients, I get more comments that I wish people had kept to themselves.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Have to be careful on Team Scrubs

Easy to get fat and not realize it

• Haha
I switched to scrubs during the pandemic and will never, ever go back. I'm "preventing burnout." Cherokee Infinity scrubs are nice, with cuffs at the bottom of the pants, lots of pockets, kinda form-fitting tops that look nice. That's what sealed the deal for me, as standard scrubs don't look good. These do.

Also, to all the Boomers and older docs who think It'S nOt PRofEsSiOnaL, I've never not cared so hard in my life. I would trade the opportunities you had and the life your generation was able to lead for scrubs all day every day.

• Love
I switched to scrubs during the pandemic and will never, ever go back. I'm "preventing burnout." Cherokee Infinity scrubs are nice, with cuffs at the bottom of the pants, lots of pockets, kinda form-fitting tops that look nice. That's what sealed the deal for me, as standard scrubs don't look good. These do.

Also, to all the Boomers and older docs who think It'S nOt PRofEsSiOnaL, I've never not cared so hard in my life. I would trade the opportunities you had and the life your generation was able to lead for scrubs all day every day.

Nothing like wearing scrubs as a small FU to the most selfish and self absorbed generation. For us, it’s the little victories that matter.

I'm surprised you wrote this because that's exactly what I've been wearing for a few years now. They actually look good. Got the custom embroidery and patches to make them look official too.

I alternate between the scrubs and business casual depending on what I'm doing that day. Procedures = scrubs, tons of patients 12+ hour day = scrubs, research/academics/admin typically business casual.

I personally don't believe in business suits in patient interactions. Medicine is more than a business, and I think our attire should reflect that. Business casual + white coat embodies this, and is as formal as I get. There was a survey of patient preferences for physician attire years ago I can try to find (not in red journal--more general physicians), and this is also what patients preferred.

I'm anti-tie because of the whole worry about fomites, but I used to wear them every day and I guess I could go back if I wanted to.

I'm surprised you wrote this because that's exactly what I've been wearing for a few years now. They actually look good. Got the custom embroidery and patches to make them look official too.

I alternate between the scrubs and business casual depending on what I'm doing that day. Procedures = scrubs, tons of patients 12+ hour day = scrubs, research/academics/admin typically business casual.

I personally don't believe in business suits in patient interactions. Medicine is more than a business, and I think our attire should reflect that. Business casual + white coat embodies this, and is as formal as I get. There was a survey of patient preferences for physician attire years ago I can try to find (not in red journal--more general physicians), and this is also what patients preferred.

I'm anti-tie because of the whole worry about fomites, but I used to wear them every day and I guess I could go back if I wanted to.
Pts prefer the white coat? That's one thing i lost years ago unless at the hospital on the floors

Nothing like wearing scrubs as a small FU to the most selfish and self absorbed generation. For us, it’s the little victories that matter.
The boomers i know, some in rad onc, wear the old school dumpy scrubs. Looks bad imo. I guess it all depends on where you practice

Pts prefer the white coat? That's one thing i lost years ago unless at the hospital on the floors

The study I'm referring to had as options business casual + white coat vs. business suit. So you don't know how much the white coat mattered. Still, it seems to be the defining attire for a physician.

I like my white coat. It is true, you have to put in the effort to keep them clean. But they're also a mobile office. I keep a few tools and references in there.

One of the neurologists actually gasped when she saw I had a reflex hammer in my pocket and I was using it appropriately to diagnose UMN vs. LMN pathology.

The study I'm referring to had as options business casual + white coat vs. business suit. So you don't know how much the white coat mattered. Still, it seems to be the defining attire for a physician.

I like my white coat. It is true, you have to put in the effort to keep them clean. But they're also a mobile office. I keep a few tools and references in there.

One of the neurologists actually gasped when she saw I had a reflex hammer in my pocket and I was using it appropriately to diagnose UMN vs. LMN pathology.
Neurologists do love diagnosing things. Usually, things they can do nothing about.

Neurologists do love diagnosing things. Usually, thing they can do nothing about.

Yeah but I can do something.

In a diffusely metastatic patient:

1. I have to figure out what body parts need an MRI to clinch the diagnosis

and/or

2. Which met is the most likely cause of the patient's signs/symptoms so I know where to point the beam

• Love
What is it with rad oncs and bowties. I know a few of them just love 'em, including some prominent ones
This is my only prejudice in life. If you’re under the age of 70 and wear a bow tie…then you’re a d-bag until proven otherwise. I actually turned down a good job because a partner my age wore them on a regular basis. It said all I needed to know about what it would be like to work with him on a daily basis.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 9 users
I wear bowties sometimes. I started doing so because I did med school in an area of the country where bowties in medicine are more common, and this was very different than my experience growing up. I thought it was interesting and just started doing it because I could.

It was only much later that I discovered there's a penchant for older RadOncs to do it, which I have no explanation for.

This is my only prejudice in life. If you’re under the age of 70 and wear a bow tie…then you’re a d-bag until proven otherwise. I actually turned down a good job because a partner my age wore them on a regular basis. It said all I needed to know about what it would be like to work with him on a daily basis.
Then you will hate me.
I am below 70
Bowties exclusively since college
The argument is as follows-
Cheaper than long ties (less material). Yes you can find expensive bow ties but the point remains
Difficult (though not impossible) to spill a drink or food on said tie; which means I purchase fewer ties
Decreased disease transmission (OK that is a stretch but long ties are teeming with bugs)
Perhaps I am a cheapskate but I am OK with that.
I also know that your prejudice is widespread

Reactions: 4 users
I used to wear a bow tie sometimes. Now, I'm business casual no tie ever.

I despise the bow tie and all you non scrub wearing elitists!

As I finished residency I outfitted myself with a nice collection of high end suits (on the cheap, mostly through ebay and then taken to a tailor).

Then the pandemic hit, we switched to scrubs, and I'm never going back. I still think the suit gives a better impression with my patient population but I'm often back and forth between clinic and OR and procedures (plus I like going for a run over lunch) and it just wasn't worth it.

The boomers/older docs have lost their opportunity to comment on professionalism IMO.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users

“There's only two things I hate in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. people who wear f***ing bow ties”​

To be clear, I am in the 'not necessarily a D-bag, but somethin probably ain't 100% right with ya' camp as an adjunct to above

As I finished residency I outfitted myself with a nice collection of high end suits (on the cheap, mostly through ebay and then taken to a tailor).

Then the pandemic hit, we switched to scrubs, and I'm never going back. I still think the suit gives a better impression with my patient population but I'm often back and forth between clinic and OR and procedures (plus I like going for a run over lunch) and it just wasn't worth it.

I did the same thing. Then went to scrubs. Now in business casual, which I like a lot. No ties, and I am happy we can now be open and truthful about bow ties. Man this was a long time coming.

Im trying to be very casual at conferences to set an example. I don't have an issue with people dressing up if they want to do it, I know some enjoy that. But many don't and they are pressured. It is sad. Not sad like bow ties are sad, but a little sad.

Reactions: 5 users

David Coston Sabiston was a distinguished American surgeon. As chairman of the department of surgery at Duke University School of Medicine, North Carolina, he was, reputedly, one of the greatest surgeons who ever lived. In 1962, he grafted a vein from a patient's leg to feed blood past a blocked coronary artery, the very first coronary artery bypass grafting (CABG), and promptly became known as a moderniser of cardiac surgery. He was president of virtually all the principal surgical societies in the United States, including the American College of Surgeons, the Association for Academic Surgery, the Society of University Surgeons, the American Surgical Association, the Southern Surgical Association, the American Association for Thoracic Surgery…the list goes on. At the same time, he was kind and generous, a family man revered by his children, grandchildren and colleagues. Yet, to his surgical residents-in-training, he always remained an incredibly tough taskmaster, who would continuously strike fear in their hearts. Love, hate, productivity and camaraderie were the ingredients for his recipe for nurturing young surgical leaders in his training environment at Duke University...

Sabiston's premier surgical training programme preserved the Halsted/Blalock/Hopkins tradition and became known, to the rest of the world, as 'The Decade with Dave'. Some of that label was myth, which the residents loved to perpetuate. Most residents spent only eight years in the programme, including two years of basic science research. Although most rotations were every-other-night call, the residents looked out for each other and were allowed three full days off every other week. The residents referred to Sabiston as 'The Man' or 'TM' for short. A 'positive TM sign' meant Sabiston's Cadillac was in his parking space and everyone had to be on their toes. TM had a passion for detail, cleanliness and formality. Anyone found in scrub clothes outside of the operating room suites flirted with expulsion. Once, the chief resident, who had invented the world's first artificial heart, was sent home to change out of his casual trousers.

...TheWallnerus also notes he was fond of EtOH

• Haha
Also I will add, I want all my clothes to be machine washable. I don't do a ton of procedures but this keeps things so much easier.

This is also the reason I ruled out Mayo Clinic for anything forever, sorry I'm never wearing a suit and/or pantyhose.

I did the same thing. Then went to scrubs. Now in business casual, which I like a lot. No ties, and I am happy we can now be open and truthful about bow ties. Man this was a long time coming.

Im trying to be very casual at conferences to set an example. I don't have an issue with people dressing up if they want to do it, I know some enjoy that. But many don't and they are pressured. It is sad. Not sad like bow ties are sad, but a little sad.

It is much more fun going to conferences now that I am out of the academic world.

You mad I'm looking fly in jeans and a blazer? You h8 me cuz you aint me.

• Haha
  • Love

David Coston Sabiston was a distinguished American surgeon. As chairman of the department of surgery at Duke University School of Medicine, North Carolina, he was, reputedly, one of the greatest surgeons who ever lived. In 1962, he grafted a vein from a patient's leg to feed blood past a blocked coronary artery, the very first coronary artery bypass grafting (CABG), and promptly became known as a moderniser of cardiac surgery. He was president of virtually all the principal surgical societies in the United States, including the American College of Surgeons, the Association for Academic Surgery, the Society of University Surgeons, the American Surgical Association, the Southern Surgical Association, the American Association for Thoracic Surgery…the list goes on. At the same time, he was kind and generous, a family man revered by his children, grandchildren and colleagues. Yet, to his surgical residents-in-training, he always remained an incredibly tough taskmaster, who would continuously strike fear in their hearts. Love, hate, productivity and camaraderie were the ingredients for his recipe for nurturing young surgical leaders in his training environment at Duke University...

Sabiston's premier surgical training programme preserved the Halsted/Blalock/Hopkins tradition and became known, to the rest of the world, as 'The Decade with Dave'. Some of that label was myth, which the residents loved to perpetuate. Most residents spent only eight years in the programme, including two years of basic science research. Although most rotations were every-other-night call, the residents looked out for each other and were allowed three full days off every other week. The residents referred to Sabiston as 'The Man' or 'TM' for short. A 'positive TM sign' meant Sabiston's Cadillac was in his parking space and everyone had to be on their toes. TM had a passion for detail, cleanliness and formality. Anyone found in scrub clothes outside of the operating room suites flirted with expulsion. Once, the chief resident, who had invented the world's first artificial heart, was sent home to change out of his casual trousers.

Perhaps doxxing myself. Dr Sabiston was a visiting professor when I was a medical student. He allowed an "audience" for students and trainees in a conference room. He requested that a platform be used and a special chair (throne) would sit atop this platform and the attendees were to be seated several feet below him. No scrubs allowed. All trainees in white pants and white coats with ties. On rounds all surgical appliances (g-tubes, etc) were to be covered with white sheets. Students were instructed to not speak unless called upon. Different era to be sure.

It’s big in the south. I don’t hold it against people, just a different culture.

It is much more fun going to conferences now that I am out of the academic world.

Amen to that.

He requested that a platform be used and a special chair (throne) would sit atop this platform and the attendees were to be seated several feet below him.

I would have so much trouble not laughing. Honestly. Id be thrown out for sure.

The white pants, amazing eccentric academic power move :rofl:

This metastasized to other academic medical centers. The gen surg dept where I trained as a med student and resident was led by former Dookies, and they also did not allow scrubs outside the OR.

Again, Boomers, we would have been willing to put up with that in the world in which you inhabited. No more.

Any opportunity I stumble across to look more like Tucker Carlson, I take it.

My dude looks like he's about to pop open the Ark and have his face melted off or something.

• Haha
Perhaps doxxing myself. Dr Sabiston was a visiting professor when I was a medical student. He allowed an "audience" for students and trainees in a conference room. He requested that a platform be used and a special chair (throne) would sit atop this platform and the attendees were to be seated several feet below him. No scrubs allowed. All trainees in white pants and white coats with ties. On rounds all surgical appliances (g-tubes, etc) were to be covered with white sheets. Students were instructed to not speak unless called upon. Different era to be sure.
Now we know why sometimes the phrase "with surgical precision" is associated with serial killers

i actually think it is pretty cool when men know how to tie a bow tie (clip ons look bad imo) or know the fancy tie knots like windsor etc. i have no issues with people looking nice, live and let live. Having said that, my style changed significantly with covid so now i am all about comfort, even at conferences. I have not had anyone, boomer/gen x, comment on it and none of my patients care.

I'm full scrubs since Covid, it's been great but as someone said watch out for the weight creep
Used to be dress shirt and slacks +/- tie but the laundry situation was annoying
Plus we touch a lot of gross things even without procedures and I tend to spill food/drink on myself

The bowtie hate here is hilarious, I would occasionally wear them (in the south)
Harder now to keep my bow tie and half-Windsor skills up though

Question for my fellow scrub wearers - name monogrammed on scrubs yay or nay? It seems a bit try-hard to me but I'm sure my patients would appreciate it