Second look advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jennashell

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I never emailed asking for a second look but I got an ERAS invitation to a program I really love and #2 choice this year. My # 1 Choice never called me for a second look ( they did say they have a second look event but it is by invite only). Can someone please explain what is the purpose of a second look? The weekend plans include having meals with faculty, games with residents and dinner with everyone. The program has covered two days at the hotel etc. I was told by one of its graduates that they normally call only people they really like to rank. In that case, is it wise to go ahead and tell the PD that you really see yourself in the program and would love to match there? Any thoughts ????thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

I never emailed asking for a second look but I got an ERAS invitation to a program I really love and #2 choice this year. My # 1 Choice never called me for a second look ( they did say they have a second look event but it is by invite only). Can someone please explain what is the purpose of a second look? The weekend plans include having meals with faculty, games with residents and dinner with everyone. The program has covered two days at the hotel etc. I was told by one of its graduates that they normally call only people they really like to rank. In that case, is it wise to go ahead and tell the PD that you really see yourself in the program and would love to match there? Any thoughts ????thank you.

My program doesn't do an invited 2nd look event--we feel that making it to the interview, interacting with the residents at the pre-interview dinner and applicant lunch, and meeting with the Selection Team during the interview day is enough to ask of an applicant. However, other programs still do a formal second look to assess fit and gauge interest. I strongly believe that you should rank the programs according to your personal preference, even if you don't hear from your #1 program. That said, I wouldn't risk alienating your #2 program who has sent a formal 2nd look invitation. If 2nd look visits are pretty standard for your specialty and it won't create a hardship for you to attend, I'd recommend going when invited. If it would create a hardship, let them know that you aren't able to attend but that you enjoyed your initial visit and reiterate your strong interest.

Reactions: 1 user
I would show up with bells on and lipstick to kiss ass!!

Reactions: 1 users

I find that this is a really annoying issue with second looks. In a perfect world, it should be completely up to the applicant and not affect your ranking at all, otherwise it's essentially a second interview day. Which you've gotta find the time for, dress up, fly in, and all that jazz. And then, if for some reason you actually have a life and can't make it, the fact that you can't go can torpedo your chances at the program if they decide that you "aren't interested enough"...which takes away from the whole objectivity of the actual interview day.

/rant.

My program doesn't invite applicants to second looks. However, anybody who is interested is welcome to come. It is strictly sitting in on conferences and shadowing residents- we don't do any "performance evaluations" during the visit.

Honestly I can barely cover this second look. I did not want to be at a disadvantage just because I did not go.......

I saved just enough to cover this trip but they paid for two nights hotel. Only few more months of poverty :) yay.

-Just a word about second look - they can hurt you if you don't perform well especially because in some cases you are the only candidate there.
-I think I know which program you are talking about regarding the second look with games, etc. - during my interview day a resident told me they put everyone they ranked the highest in the same group during board game time. They also sent an invite to everyone for that second look.
-Alot of programs send second look invites to everyone.

-I've been told that second looks are mainly for you to learn more about the program and also letting the program know who is really interested in their program
-it is also a way for programs to gauge people that they are on the fence about I was asked by many PDs at the end of the interview if I wanted to come back for second looks at most interviews - it was quite awkward since I was put on the spot and had to say i'll think about it, etc.
-I've also been asked several times at the end of interview day - do you want to spend some more time shadowing a resident in the clinic or inpatient service or follow a resident who is on-call before you leave..

Last edited:
-Just a word about second look - they can hurt you if you don't perform well especially because in some cases you are the only candidate there.
-I think I know which program you are talking about regarding the second look with games, etc. - during my interview day a resident told me they put everyone they ranked the highest in the same group during board game time. They also sent an invite to everyone for that second look.
-Alot of programs send second look invites to everyone.

-I've been told that second looks are mainly for you to learn more about the program and also letting the program know who is really interested in their program
-it is also a way for programs to gauge people that they are on the fence about I was asked by many PDs at the end of the interview if I wanted to come back for second looks at most interviews - it was quite awkward since I was put on the spot and had to say i'll think about it, etc.
-I've also been asked several times at the end of interview day - do you want to spend some more time shadowing a resident in the clinic or inpatient service or follow a resident who is on-call before you leave..

At first, this was one among the many programs I liked but after the interview, I had a complete change of heart mainly because of the PD who seemed like the nicest person one could hope for. His entire team was happy and I always chased resident happiness over everything. I am looking for a change of city/people/life and this place is perfect. I think I will go ahead and do my best to be a part of the team so I will be ranked to match rather than just ranked high. I really want this. :)

OK to go on the second look but don't make it change your ranking just because. If you truly like program #2 better than program #1 after the second look, then so be it.

OK to go on the second look but don't make it change your ranking just because. If you truly like program #2 better than program #1 after the second look, then so be it.

Indeed. Many people seem to not understand the match. They will put a 'safety program' ahead of a reach even though they really would rather go to the reach just so they don't go too far down their list or feel that they will not match otherwise.

Instead, you shouldn't care one bit where a program is going to rank you when you make your list. Make your rank list in the order of places you want to be at. Leave places off the list only if you would rather SOAP than go to that training program. You get your choice before the program gets their choice in the match.

Reactions: 1 users
What is your advice on how to respond to residencies that have invited you to a second look on the same day at the same time?

What would you do if you have been asked to a second look at two different places on the same day and same time AND you like both places?

What would you do if you have been asked to a second look at two different places on the same day and same time AND you like both places?

spin the bottle...I'm sure you can ask them to re-schedule - most second look days are set up by you (i.e. you tell them what you want to see and you give them a few dates to play with)
Unless it is a big second look for all candidates that interviewed that can't be re-scheduled I'm pretty sure you can just ask them to re-schedule.

what is the polite way to decline a second look?

like gutonc said just keep it short. It is more awkward though when they ask you in person right when you are about to leave. And you are like...uh i'll have to think about it but thanks for the offer.