Secondaries asking to explain academic disparities or poor performances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

flyon_littlewing9587

Reaction score
How much weight is really put into these question(s)? Do admissions committees ever really use the answer to these questions to alleviate pressure on a low gpa/mcat applicant?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I personally had a lot of bad grades and W's. Most of the schools I was accepted to had some secondary asking me to explain. Every one of those schools asked about it in the interview and mentioned the secondary responses.

From what I've gathered on the interview trail, writing those responses in a clear-cut manner and owning up to mistakes AND demonstrating growth is what needs to happen. Even though my circumstances could have easily excused poor performance, I made sure to detail what I did to overcome those circumstances and strengthen my fortitude. Then demonstrated how those lessons helped me do better in my SMP.

Reactions: 1 user
I personally had a lot of bad grades and W's. Most of the schools I was accepted to had some secondary asking me to explain. Every one of those schools asked about it in the interview and mentioned the secondary responses.

From what I've gathered on the interview trail, writing those responses in a clear-cut manner and owning up to mistakes AND demonstrating growth is what needs to happen. Even though my circumstances could have easily excused poor performance, I made sure to detail what I did to overcome those circumstances and strengthen my fortitude. Then demonstrated how those lessons helped me do better in my SMP.

Ok! Thank you for the response, that’s encouraging to hear:)

How much weight is really put into these question(s)? Do admissions committees ever really use the answer to these questions to alleviate pressure on a low gpa/mcat applicant?
It sure doesn't feel that way if you have to write a response.

Sure, there's a lot of interest in anyone's response to this question. @Mikiras provided some solid suggestions.

Reactions: 1 user
I think it helped in my application as I was asked about some of my low grades in interviews. Emphasize lessons learned and how it applies to your academic potential, especially when you have an upward trend and performed better in classes later in a sequence (Biochem grade better then OChem, any course #2 grade better than course #1). Also, doing poorly in a course (ex OChem) but performing well on the MCAT section (ex Chem/Phys) demonstrates mastery of material, but let this speak for itself.
I was involved in multiple extracurricular activities in Fall semesters of undergrad and only made dean’s list in Spring. In my gap years, I was able to focus solely on research (my job) and figured out time management to study for the MCAT and take two classes. I said learning time management skills and focusing on academics are a reflection on how I will be able to perform in medical school and when studying for Step 1.

Buy an old-school interview book. Read it. They’re loaded with time- proven communication skills to answer/ get through dicey questions.

Like a lot of things in life, there is no blanket answer that will cover every admissions committee. There is no answer that would cover ever member of an individual committee. My wife definitely pays close attention to how students answer this question and students who sort of breeze through it have created a red flag for themselves in her mind. Your only task regarding this question is to develop a well-thought out answer that doesn’t minimize anything. Let the adcoms decide how or if they will use the information.