SECTION BANK # 30 Genetics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Neplina94

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would someone please explain this to me. I understand based on the Ratios of the F1 generation that both parents would be heterozygotes. After that Im a bit confused, even by the wording of the question (how many would be red and black?, i almost thought of codominance..

any help would be appreciated

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-08-21 at 8.40.24 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-08-21 at 8.40.24 PM.png
    49.7 KB · Views: 61
Would someone please explain this to me. I understand based on the Ratios of the F1 generation that both parents would be heterozygotes. After that Im a bit confused, even by the wording of the question (how many would be red and black?, i almost thought of codominance..

any help would be appreciated
Yeah, the wording of that question is a bit confusing.But the question is not that difficult, if you reword it. The question is asking what is the probability that 2 parents are hetro (since brown is expected in the their offspring). Probability of parent 1 being hetro= 2/3 (its not 2/4 because 1/4 offspring is brown and stem stated that only Red F1 were crossed). Total probability should be 2/3*2/3= 4/9.

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah, the wording of that question is a bit confusing.But the question is not that difficult, if you reword it. The question is asking what is the probability that 2 parents are hetro (since brown is expected in the their offspring). Probability of parent 1 being hetro= 2/3 (its not 2/4 because 1/4 offspring is brown and stem stated that only Red F1 were crossed). Total probability should be 2/3*2/3= 4/9.
Thank you!