Seeking advice: MD Career Change at 45? Too Late/Too Old? What's required?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If one has a family (wife and kids), I think mid 30s is the latter age for viability for considering a career in medicine. Like most said above, it is an at least 10 year journey of high loans (medical school) and meager salary (residency) before decent pay. Raising kids are expensive and 10yrs of meager substinence is tough on the kids and wife. Anyone above their mid 30s who are breadwiners for their family, I'd strongly discourage the move.

My aunt's husband pulled a stunt like that. He was in his late 30s or early 40s. He went back to medical school in the caribbeans. He was a nurse. He always had the dreams of being a doctor, due to the status and percieved affluence. His journey was a disaster. He incured a lot of debt his first two years. During his clinical years, he couldn't get enough money to pay for his rotations at US hospitals. It was a disastrous 4 year oddessy for them. He didn't finish medical school and ended up working back as a nurse, in the financial hole.

I went straight through from undergrad to an allopathic medschool on the east coast. Medical school and residency were grueling. I was single without any obligations so I soldiered on. I am now very happy as a first year staff. I start fellowship in 60 days. I couldn't imagine me doing anything else. However, let say I were an Engineer, I would not even dream of switching to a career in medicine at my age (30). The prospect of studying for the MCAT, 4 years of medschool again and 3+ years of residency with huge student loans just doesn't make financial sense.

You are too old.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
If one has a family (wife and kids), I think mid 30s is the latter age for viability for considering a career in medicine. Like most said above, it is an at least 10 year journey of high loans (medical school) and meager salary (residency) before decent pay. Raising kids are expensive and 10yrs of meager substinence is tough on the kids and wife. Anyone above their mid 30s who are breadwiners for their family, I'd strongly discourage the move.

My aunt's husband pulled a stunt like that. He was in his late 30s or early 40s. He went back to medical school in the caribbeans. He was a nurse. He always had the dreams of being a doctor, due to the status and percieved affluence. His journey was a disaster. He incured a lot of debt his first two years. During his clinical years, he couldn't get enough money to pay for his rotations at US hospitals. It was a disastrous 4 year oddessy for them. He didn't finish medical school and ended up working back as a nurse, in the financial hole.

I went straight through from undergrad to an allopathic medschool on the east coast. Medical school and residency were grueling. I was single without any obligations so I soldiered on. I am now very happy as a first year staff. I start fellowship in 60 days. I couldn't imagine me doing anything else. However, let say I were an Engineer, I would not even dream of switching to a career in medicine at my age (30). The prospect of studying for the MCAT, 4 years of medschool again and 3+ years of residency with huge student loans just doesn't make financial sense.

You are too old.

****ing A.

It's not a lifetime calling or passion. I don't have "passion" for any profession. I'd be just as happy to hit lotto and sleep all day. :)

That being said, this is the real world and one has to work to support a family. Currently I'm unemployed as a result of mass layoffs at my previous firm. I've been working/employed uninterrupted since I was 18 - 27yrs, and have held numerous roles during that time from soldier to software developer, project manager, sales, marketing, business development, operations, network management, etc.

I'm just not built to be passionate about any profession, and I can assure that whatever I do next, I wouldn't describe as having a "passion" for it.

P.S. And before you say that you need passion for X profession. I've heard that all my life in most of the jobs I went after. It's great if you're born that way to have a passion in X, but alas there are those of us in this world that weren't born that way and lead perfectly normal if passionless professional lives.
I don't think someone needs a passion to be a good doctor, but with the uphill climb that you're facing, I wouldn't recommend the MD route unless you had a LOT of passion.

Looking at your interests, I think a PhD in psychology is a far better choice than an MD.

You can obtain a PhD in psychology in 4-6 years, and begin practicing within two years thereafter. It's a much shorter training timeline, it's likely to be less expensive and grueling, and I think it might be a better fit with your current skill-set.

Are you too old for the MD route? I don't know. No one on here really does. The question is whether the 4 years of medical school will fit into your life, and whether the 4 years of residency will fit into your life. Realistically, we're probably looking at a decade, total, of medical school and training, plus about 200k in expenses, NOT including the opportunity-cost of lost income. You're 45. Odds are that you have about 3-4 decades left in your life.

So, consider carefully how this all fits together. I'd advise the PhD route, but it's up to you. If you can make the MD route work, and you really want it, go for it.

Being out of work can be a very disorienting experience. Settle back, relax, realize that with your current skill-set you have options, and don't get married to any particular choice at this juncture. You'll be fine.

I liked reading this thread as the wife of a man who turned 50 last December - he is near the end of his first year at COMP after being a teacher for 20 years. He took his pre-reqs/MCAT/applied to 3 schools/got accepted to 2 in two years. He is doing well and enjoys it.

Our youngest son is also finishing up his first year of college, this seems way easier than doing it with little kids.

Situations are all very different - it's hard to make general "rules".

Best of Luck to all!

I was 32 when I started med school. I was a cardiac surg PA before that. I walked away from 175,000+/year. It is financial suicide to do this. It is a MAJOR struggle. It is painful to think about how I could drop a grand in the mall on a whim and now I decide on buying apples at the grocery store bc raspberries are too expensive. I look at a retirement statement that went from substantial to a rediculous joke.

Would I do this over again? absolutely 100% yes, yes, yes. I am in my fourth year and very poor and staring down many more years of crap salary and hardship.

Why is it worth it?

Mid level care providers like NP or PA's get autonomy, and respect, however, there will be many days that will be very discouraging. On more than one occassion did I have a patient send me away because they wanted a real doctor to examine their incisions. (that I made, and subsequently closed.) Not to mention that you are a slave to the doctor you work for. You must conform to practice medicine in the manner as your supervising physician. You stand and watch your surgeon describe portions of the surgery that you perform as if he did it himself. You have nurse managers as supervisors-not a good thing. You won't make much money as a Psych PA. Definately not enough to pursue a master's level PA degree over three years, when you can finish med school in four and make 45-50 as a resident, not to mention the endless moonlighting opportunities, it just would make sense to go to med school.

You have one life. If this is a real desire you have, you can absolutely do it. You can't take money with you when you die. You can't change your age, but you can change your perspective. If you have the drive, you can certainly get in. It took me four years, but someone finally gave me the chance and I haven't looked back. If you have lacked passion in careers in the past, this means you should pursue it to see if it is something that will be fulfilling for you. When I am particularly discouraged and despairing over the difficulties of medical school, I say to myself, would I look back and regret having done this. No is always the answer. There is something special about being a physician. Patient place their trust in you. They seek you out in their most vulnerable times. It is an immense responsibility and its reward is satisfaction when you do something to help another person. It truly is gratifying. There are many reasons not to pursue a career as a physician at your age and station. As far as I am concerned these reasons do not come close to the satisfaction that only can come from being a physician.

Don't let anyone fool you. If you get through your intern year, psych is a totally managable residency at any age. I just finished my psych rotation and they keep more than sweet hours. Not to mention there is a severe shortage of psychiatrists in many areas of the US.

OP, you are NOT too old, but, you will probably be able to find an alternative that is equally or more satisfying, without putting yourself through the torture that med school is.

You're too old. At the very best, by the time you finished a psychiatry residency you would be, assuming you get into medical school in 2011, 56-years old. Additionally, going through residency in your fifties will blow, big time.

On the other hand, if you are independently wealthy and would like to do something interesting, I'd say why not? But as a legitimate career change? You are off your rocker.

Also keep in mind that you have an excellent chance of never being accepted to any medical school because of 1) Your age 2) Your low GPA 3) Your age, and you may spend a couple of years and blow a lot of money applying for nothing.

I was 37 when I started medical school and today, at 45, I have less than 80 days before I am done with residency. For the sake of medicine I put my life on hold, impoverished my family and destroyed my marriage and it's not even that fantastic a job. It's okay, I mean, and I enjoy it for the most part, but I think in hindsight I should have stayed in engineering.

Here, read my friggin' blog and make up your own mind:

www.studentdoctor.net/pandabearmd

One man's opinion. There are many people who love Emergency Medicine as a career. There are many that are passionate and grateful they get to work in their careers.

His point of view holds more merit though because he has been through it (most people haven't here), yet it is pessimistic.

If you really love it and are willing to make the sacrifices financially and time-wise (relationship also) then go ahead. He is probably right that if it is just an idea for a career change then you may not make it.

Nothing is impossible, you just have to make sure it is an absolute MUST for you and not just an idea on having a better career. Take Arnold Schwartzneger, he would work 10-12 hour days in construction before he made it, and before and after these he would do grueling weight workouts. Workouts that most people couldn't get through if it was the only thing they had to do all day. But he thrived and excelled while being time poor and money poor.

So it comes down to desire and passion. Not age and GPA.

You are asking the wrong question. Your question you should ask is if you have enough passion/desire for the career.

I was 32 when I started med school. I was a cardiac surg PA before that. I walked away from 175,000+/year. It is financial suicide to do this. It is a MAJOR struggle. It is painful to think about how I could drop a grand in the mall on a whim and now I decide on buying apples at the grocery store bc raspberries are too expensive. I look at a retirement statement that went from substantial to a rediculous joke.

Would I do this over again? absolutely 100% yes, yes, yes. I am in my fourth year and very poor and staring down many more years of crap salary and hardship.

Why is it worth it?

Mid level care providers like NP or PA's get autonomy, and respect, however, there will be many days that will be very discouraging. On more than one occassion did I have a patient send me away because they wanted a real doctor to examine their incisions. (that I made, and subsequently closed.) Not to mention that you are a slave to the doctor you work for. You must conform to practice medicine in the manner as your supervising physician. You stand and watch your surgeon describe portions of the surgery that you perform as if he did it himself. You have nurse managers as supervisors-not a good thing. You won't make much money as a Psych PA. Definately not enough to pursue a master's level PA degree over three years, when you can finish med school in four and make 45-50 as a resident, not to mention the endless moonlighting opportunities, it just would make sense to go to med school.

You have one life. If this is a real desire you have, you can absolutely do it. You can't take money with you when you die. You can't change your age, but you can change your perspective. If you have the drive, you can certainly get in. It took me four years, but someone finally gave me the chance and I haven't looked back. If you have lacked passion in careers in the past, this means you should pursue it to see if it is something that will be fulfilling for you. When I am particularly discouraged and despairing over the difficulties of medical school, I say to myself, would I look back and regret having done this. No is always the answer. There is something special about being a physician. Patient place their trust in you. They seek you out in their most vulnerable times. It is an immense responsibility and its reward is satisfaction when you do something to help another person. It truly is gratifying. There are many reasons not to pursue a career as a physician at your age and station. As far as I am concerned these reasons do not come close to the satisfaction that only can come from being a physician.

Don't let anyone fool you. If you get through your intern year, psych is a totally managable residency at any age. I just finished my psych rotation and they keep more than sweet hours. Not to mention there is a severe shortage of psychiatrists in many areas of the US.

Good job! I love the people who are passionate about their jobs and dedicated.

It is exciting when medicine isn't about money but about doing what you love, regardless of $ going up or down. I also left a sales job where I was earning approx 170k (single with no debt! other than house of course). And now I also have to think when buying groceries.

Don't regret it for a second. Money isn't everything. And for the apathetic, think about this:

There are children in Africa with no food, countries that force people to do menial jobs, there were ages when you were forced to be a blacksmith just because, some people are handicapped and don't have career options...

And we complain because we have to work 70 or so hours (even if you say 80-90, I still say thats cool) doing what we chose to do getting paid a bunch (regardless of the debt you had, some people live off 2$ a day!).

People it could be worse! Stay positive and never turn sour.

I don't think someone needs a passion to be a good doctor, but with the uphill climb that you're facing, I wouldn't recommend the MD route unless you had a LOT of passion.

agreed

You are too old.

This is silly. There is no such thing as an age limit!

you can't because blah, blah, blah, too hard, blah blah, blah, $, blah, blah, blah.

You know whats funny, if the most successful people would listen to advice like this we would have a sad world.

The KFC guy started after 65 years old. Can you imagine him going on a forum and asking other people if he was too old to start a new restaurant chain? 99% of the responses would have told him to give up.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm hoping that someone here has "been there" and can provide some real life advice based on their experience.

I'm 45 with a business background BBA (GPA 3.3) / MBA (GPA 3.3) both earned while working full-time.

(Would appreciate a brutally honest assessment - trust me, I can take it)

1. Is it too late for med school?
2. Given that I have no clinical experience and am coming from a completely different background without a great GPA undergrad or grad what are my chances?
3. What's required? I know I have to take several science courses as pre-reqs - microbiology, A&P and take the MCAT, but what's truly required beyond that for a successful application?

My main area of interest is Psychiatry/Psychology. I don't see the PhD in Psych as being possible given that I don't have research experience and have spent my life in the technology business.

Any mid-40s career changers into MD (with a family to support) out there?

If your main interest is psychiatry/psychology, have you considered getting a Master's in Counseling Psychology? I've seen folks your age go through these programs (career change). One guy had been working in chemistry, then decided to go to school, and was doing his internship as a university career counselor.

It would be much more easily accomplished than the med school route, and worth considering whether or not it would fulfill your career interests.

To whoever said the OP is too old. . .

Wow. That RIDICULOUS! Never discriminate against what people can and should do based merely on a different phase of adult age. It truly can vary sooo much.

As a nurse in critical care, it has annoyed the daylights out of me when people generalized about our adult open heart patients recovering in our CT-SICU. I've had patients in their 70's and 80's fly, and pts in their 30's and 40's as trainwrecks or delayed recovery.

It is comorbidities that are real factors, NOT AGE ALONE.

I know physicians in their 80's that have practiced wellness their whole lives, and they are still in practice. One family prac doc continued until his wife finally made him retire so that they could do the travelling the way they always wanted.

I know a person that practices combined med with holistic, integrated medicine, and she can move faster than many 20 year olds I know. You'd have to see her in action to believe it. Very sharp, put-together lady.

Biological age does NOT necessarily equal chronicalogical age. As we see more people make significant lifestyle changes toward greater wellness practices, we are seeing people that are quite healthy, sharp as tacks, and happily functioning well past sixty. Guess what? A good number of them have good sex lives too.

So to the OP,

Don't get caught up in numbers and generalizations.

If you heart and soul are into becoming a physician, move forward, step-by-step and don't look back.

A person can just as easily be dissuaded by being a physician in their late 20's and 30's as they can at any other time in their lives. Plenty of young persons have moved out of medicine and have gone to law school, etc.

So, it really isn't about age. Leave that out of the equation unless you really have very serious and major health limiations. And I say that not to discriminate against disabilities. For even with that it all depends. But if you are generally in good physical, mental, and spiritual health, and if you are up to committing to the challenge, and then finally, if you see yourself working in a field that, especially nowadays, has more challenges that ever once imagined, GO FOR IT and do NOT let ageism stop you.

Don't listen to arguments that do not hold water. Only you know what your are willing to commit to and are truly capable of doing.

And BTW, you are not taking away a physician position from a younger person that will work longer.
Like I said, many younger people move away from more active practice or into other fields. I've known a fair number of younger physicians over the years die from all sorts of things as well. A few of them engaged in extra curricular activities that are inherently dangerous but gave them joy--like sky diving. Now, are admission committee members going to discriminate against surfers or sky divers or those students with pilot licenses, etc, etc, etc.

Come on. The question as to whether you should become a physician or not has to be about something more than you age. Thinking any other way is simply ageism.

Truth be told, some younger folks may push that agenda b/c it's about dealing with more competition--having to fight not only competitive younger GPAs and MCAT scores from the typical students is hard enough. Now they have to compete with non-traditionals, which can be respected in their own right--though they still have to prove they have the science apptitude, the academic work to back it up, MCATs, and the other things.

And then some people don't deal with reality shocks very well. There is not this false sense of glory or in pay (many times--depending upon whether you are a surgeon and interventionist, etc). This is hard, tiring, yes grueling work. The question is, can this indeed be your life's work.
I love what the wife above said about her 50 year old husband that is loving it. Can you love the journey, even though it is a struggle? People are so very different. It really isn't problematic to generalize. But people do make a way--just like the example of Saunders. Yes, you have to look at all the hard, real life realities. You can only face things clearly when you face them truthfully. But age is not necessarily the issue you have to face. Basically the issues of stressful, expensive, long, and arduous work and processes go for all that contemplate this journey and life work. I think the work itself does not discriminate.

So what is truly in your soul?

You will be whatever age you will be when you get there. Do you want to be 50 something and a physician, or do you want to be 50 something and wishing you had gone for it?

That's the real question.

Last edited:
"So what is truly in your soul?

You will be whatever age you will be when you get there. Do you want to be 50 something and a physician, or do you want to be 50 something and wishing you had gone for it?

That's the real question."

Well said! I am 52-years-of-age (not old!). I was accepted into medical school this week - Class of 2014. You are not to old to follow your passion.

Reactions: 1 user
Do you want to be 50 something and a physician, or do you want to be 50 something and wishing you had gone for it?

Amen, and Amen. Too many times in my life I let the againners talk me out of things. When I finally escaped the cardboard box and was living in a garage apartment and working for Ron's Jons Portable Toilets ("We're number 1 in the Number 2 business") The same people who PUT me in the cardboard box tried to talk me out of going to college. "You'll have to borrow money and you'll just end up over-your-head-in-debt". "Besides you're-too-old." (I was 23, you see, not 18). "You won't be able-to-find-a-good-paying-job." "The economy-is-going-down and the computer industry will be taken-over-by-the-government."

I even had some folks who got spiritual on me. My "best friend" preached a whole sermon singling me out for "getting-out-of-the-will-of-God".

I've heard it all. To answer a cliche with a cliche. Been there; heard that; burnt the tee-shirt.

Well said! I am 52-years-of-age (not old!). I was accepted into medical school this week - Class of 2014. You are not to old to follow your passion.

yes yes yes. I had a successful career that I liked a lot (I also was a lawyer) but couldn't live with the "what ifs." I'm starting med school next year at the tender age of 40 (I still feel like I'm 25 though...actually, I am even more energetic than I was at 25, as I take better care of myself now). go, nontrads!

It's been a while, so though I did well, I am taking some of them again. Good to be fresh, and there is a curve of forgetting.

UPDATE:

First, I wanted to THANK ALL OF YOU who have provided me with different perspectives on this pursuit. Both sides provided valuable insights.

You're 45. Odds are that you have about 3-4 decades left in your life.

I don't have 3-4 working decades in my life.

You have nurse managers as supervisors-not a good thing.

I did not know that. PA seemed like it might be a good option until you said that.

You are asking the wrong question. Your question you should ask is if you have enough passion/desire for the career.

Bennie, I've explained this one before. For reasons too extensive to get into here, and a natural personality inclination (INTJ), passion doesn't figure into the decision making equation, it never has, and likely never will. Not to be confused with competence, skill, motivation, responsibility, commitment, etc.

If your main interest is psychiatry/psychology, have you considered getting a Master's in Counseling Psychology?

It's a good suggestion. I looked into it and was dismayed at the low compensation and limited opportunities.

I love what the wife above said about her 50 year old husband that is loving it.

The wife above also mentioned college age children. Our oldest is not even 9 our youngest not even in kindergarten.

And then when you get out of residency you will be in your 50s, and getting hired as an older person may have its own challenges. (yes, age discrimination is illegal, but doesn't mean it can't happen). So you may be opening your own shop. So whether your family can handle you being out of the work force for 4 years, and then earning peanuts the next 3+ is going to be a decision you have to make. So yes, it's probably doable, but only you can decide if it's wise.

Law2Doc,

You bring up an excellent point. I'm struggling with that right now. With unemployment running at 12%+ in CA landing a job at any age is a challenge, but for those of us in our 40s and 50s it is especially daunting and 60s I can't even begin to imagine.

I've had more jobs outsourced, offshored, downsized, etc. than I care to mention, and know plenty of engineers, lawyers, businessmen, and other older professionals trying to figure out how to support their families.

I even looked into an accelerated law school program, until I did a bit of research and found out only 40% of JD holders work as lawyers.

So my search for other reasonably viable options continues.... AA, NP, PA (though reporting to a nurse manager is quite an undesirable option - no offense to all the hard working nurse managers out there).

I guess I'll spend the rest of my time on SDN evaluating clinician options.

Thank you once again.

Hello all,
I'm new to this site and found it after googling about getting into medicine after 45! I've read the entire thread. Thanks for all the insights and support and soul baring. My situation is similar in that I'm contemplating "change" and I'm 44. Different in that I already graduated as an MD 20 years ago. At the time I made a very firm decision that I didn't want to practice clinical medicine. And the need for another 5 years of suffering as a PhD student made me forgo the path of basic research. I found myself in a high flying career in the cosmetic industry. I earned well, lived well for many years but not always with contentment. For various reasons I'm presently in an even less satisfying job and not earning anywhere near my previous comfortable income anymore. I've been serioulsy contemplating the idea of taking the USMLEs and getting qualified as an MD in the US (I'm a foreign graduate) which also means residency. From there either continuing in a clinical position or perhaps starting my own cosmetic business/practice. I have many hesitations and concerns which I would love to get feedback on. Such as studying again after 20 years, studying while working, passing the exams, actually getting a residency, whether I and how to get my residency of choice (no, I do NOT want to do family medicine, and the one I do want, i'm told is the one that is pratcically impossobe for me to get into : dermatology), age issues , self confidence etc.

Is this the right forum for me to write on - becuase most of you here seem to be more concerned about whether to start medical school.

Thanks a lot in advance.

You're right - derm would be extremely difficult for you to get into. It's difficult for AMGs, near impossible for FMGs. You might want to check out the international medical graduate forum a little lower for some FMG perspective. :)

You're right - derm would be extremely difficult for you to get into. It's difficult for AMGs, near impossible for FMGs. You might want to check out the international medical graduate forum a little lower for some FMG perspective. :)

Where do I find the Int Med Grad forum please? It doesn't seem to be within the index in this forum.

So what is so magical about dermatology? I understand it's a relatively easier residency and the earning potential is relatively higher - but same can be said of other specialty too, no?

Also, there must be many students with high scores, good CVs with experience etc - but what is it that really cuts it? What are the admissions people looking for to distinguish candidates? What I mean is, if it's this popular there must be many applicants with similar qualififations "on paper" (i.e. grades, clinical or research experience, letters of recommendation) So amongst this glittery crowd, how are the few chosen?

Personally for me, the appeal comes from having been in the health & beauty care industry for many years and working with dermatologists to qualify products - it was the fun part.

Although I'm a bit younger than you, I found this site after I was already accepted - it is focused on people with your characteristics, and the user group is very friendly. Check it out.

Thank you.

I looked at several sections and threads on the IMG. They are very geography/culture specific and I found them very far removed from my issues.

I've been browsing the derm section for the last hour and still have lots to read.

Thanks for pointing both out, I hadn't seen those myself and probably would have missed them.

Having said all of that - I think my main issues are more "existential" and probably closer to the "non trads" in this section. Garteful for all and any sugestions.

Listen, no one here can tell you what your dreams are.
If you want to be a doctor, do it. Why does age matter?
What you need to do is make up your mind.
If you decide that you are going to become a doctor go and do it. Don't let your age, which is just a number, decide for you.
Don't let anyone here or anywhere tell you what to do.

Pull up your skirt, decide, then just do what it takes, whatever that is.

I was 32 when I started med school. I was a cardiac surg PA before that. I walked away from 175,000+/year. It is financial suicide to do this. . . .
Would I do this over again? absolutely 100% yes, yes, yes. . .

There is something special about being a physician. Patient place their trust in you. They seek you out in their most vulnerable times. It is an immense responsibility and its reward is satisfaction when you do something to help another person. It truly is gratifying. There are many reasons not to pursue a career as a physician at your age and station. As far as I am concerned these reasons do not come close to the satisfaction that only can come from being a physician. . .

This is excellent -- well said.

Last edited:

Hey man! Congratulations!

Last edited:
I couldnt delete my post.. where is this delete option :confused:

Last edited:
I just read this whole thread thinking it would be one of those happy-ending update threads :rolleyes:

Thank you all for your very candid response. I truly appreciate it.

I have some follow up questions if you don't mind.

Am I to assume/imply that I couldn't use the year + of English, Math (incl. calculus coursework) and Bio w/lab that I already have from my undergrad degree?

The local colleges around here have compressed 6 week sessions where one can do a semester of Chem w/lab (5 credits) - 12 weeks for 2 semesters.

• two semesters of Bio with lab,
  • two semesters of Gen Chem with lab,
  • two semesters of physics with lab and
  • two semesters of orgo with lab,
  • plus a year of English ?
  • a year of math ?
  • and some places require biochem),
As for the age discrimination situation... according to the AARP and several other sources, the 2 industries with the least age discrimination is healthcare and education.

Ok, I see that at best I could accelerate requirements to 12-18 months instead of 2yrs (and that would assume that my undergrad coursework completed in '93 would count).

If the residency for Psych is too long, then perhaps I could choose a shorter residency?

By the way, what happens to MDs that finished medical school, but don't do a residency?

And is there some forced retirement by law that requires MDs retire at 65? Or can a psych MD practice part-time beyond 65?

So if I wanted to get into the healthcare field and I'm too old and not sufficiently competitive for med school, what alternatives in healthcare would you suggest?

I hope you went for it!! A BBA is nothing to sneeze at.. my dad has one.

What is LECOM?

Can someone that did 4yrs medical school (but no residency) teach?

If YOU couldn't be in med school (for whatever reason), but were still interested in the medical field, would you do PA? NP? (other alternative)?

By the way, does my appendectomy, splenectomy, lithotripsy, count as clinical experience. (jk) :)

lol! I am glad that my pre-nursing training gave me the chance to laugh at the last sentence you wrote lol