Seeking Community College to University Transfer experiences

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hotrodsduo

MD Class of 2022
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am hoping to transfer to a UC this year from a California Community College. I am looking for feedback from students who have done the same and specifically opinions regarding the rigor of the classes. I am kicking ass in CC, but it is a small pond with a wide range of students.

Did any of you struggle in the transition? Have you learned to prep or study differently for classes? What kind of comparison can be made between CCs and University work level? Any insight is welcome. I am admittedly a little anxious and trying to prepare mentally.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

Members don't see this ad.

I transferred from a CC that was a branch campus of the 4 year college I transferred to, so transferring credits and whatnot was no problem. The curricula were supposed to align, though after transferring I found that wasn't strictly the case. For me, the work level was more or less comparable, though naturally, the upper level science classes were a bit harder, but nothing I couldn't manage. All in all, I don't think coming from the CC really affected things. I graduated in August with my MA, so there's that...

I was at a CC for several years before transferring to a UC. Did all my pre-reqs except for physics at my CC. Personally, I thought many of my CC courses were more challenging than many of the classes I took at UC, and prepared me very well for upper division science courses. I did not change the way I studied at all, I saw no need. I actually ended up with more free time.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I have heard a few others say that. Some are taking chemistry the local CSU to avoid taking the general chem series at our CC. It is known for being pretty tough. That is encouraging. Thanks for the response.

I have heard a few others say that. Some are taking chemistry the local CSU to avoid taking the general chem series at our CC. It is known for being pretty tough. That is encouraging. Thanks for the response.

What part of CA are you in?

I did bio at CC, which was a great experience--my cellular bio semester was taught by a cytogeneticist, who was excellent. It took only one quarter of gen chem at the UC for me to decide that I'd rather finish my sciences postbac--competing with hundreds of other students just to literally get a seat was not the kind of learning environment I wanted. I finished my BA in a year, then took gen chem, ochem, and physics postbac. I'm finishing biochem and epidemiology now.

as an offshoot to op's question, wanted to know how successful CC transfer students are in the med application process to allopathic schools, any info on that?

I did bio at CC, which was a great experience--my cellular bio semester was taught by a cytogeneticist, who was excellent. It took only one quarter of gen chem at the UC for me to decide that I'd rather finish my sciences postbac--competing with hundreds of other students just to literally get a seat was not the kind of learning environment I wanted. I finished my BA in a year, then took gen chem, ochem, and physics postbac. I'm finishing biochem and epidemiology now.

Do post bac students get priority seating or different classes or how does it differ?

I literally know of tons, TONS of students who have gone from CC to UC to med school with ZERO problems. I believe there are a handful of schools that don't prefer CC classes, but I know people who have gotten into Harvard, UCSD, UCLA, Stanford and many other med schools having gone from CC to University before med school. One is a cardio thoracic resident now at a top ten school.

Reactions: 1 users
as an offshoot to op's question, wanted to know how successful CC transfer students are in the med application process to allopathic schools, any info on that?

I was accepted. I have 5 other friends from my CC who have been accepted. One of them just started her residency. That's just my experience, and it's obviously a self selecting group, but going to a CC didn't hurt us at all.

Reactions: 2 users
I was accepted. I have 5 other friends from my CC who have been accepted. One of them just started her residency. That's just my experience, and it's obviously a self selecting group, but going to a CC didn't hurt us at all.

and that's assuming you took a majority of your classes at the transfer uni and not at the cc, namely and especially the core bio/chem/phys classes? because i could also see someone being a humanities major at CC and then trasnferring to biochem at a uni

and that's assuming you took a majority of your classes at the transfer uni and not at the cc, namely and especially the core bio/chem/phys classes? because i could also see someone being a humanities major at CC and then trasnferring to biochem at a uni

I took all my prereqs except for physics at my CC. Same goes for all of my friends who were accepted. Of course, I took many more upper division science courses at my UC, but I already had 136 CC units when I transferred.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do post bac students get priority seating or different classes or how does it differ?

Post bac is a catch-all for classes taken after completing your bachelor's degree. You can do the classes on your own through UC Extension/CSU Open U, etc. or apply to a structured program. If you do the latter, try to find one that has been around a while and has a good reputation, and better yet, linkages to med schools. Be careful, because they're not all created equal, and they can be pricey. I did a mix of both--I started a post bac program, but wound up finishing locally because of family reasons.

Post bac is a catch-all for classes taken after completing your bachelor's degree. You can do the classes on your own through UC Extension/CSU Open U, etc. or apply to a structured program. If you do the latter, try to find one that has been around a while and has a good reputation, and better yet, linkages to med schools. Be careful, because they're not all created equal, and they can be pricey. I did a mix of both--I started a post bac program, but wound up finishing locally because of family reasons.

Thanks for the info. I hope to not have to go post bac since I am already older than your average student. It sounds like the smaller class size is definitely a plus. Maybe I should be asking folks for tips on getting into a class instead of insight on workload. LOL.

Thanks for the info. I hope to not have to go post bac since I am already older than your average student. It sounds like the smaller class size is definitely a plus. Maybe I should be asking folks for tips on getting into a class instead of insight on workload. LOL.

Getting into a class is the harder part. haha We're really fortunate to have such good CC's in CA. I didn't know it, but according to others here on SDN, CC's in general aren't this good in other states.

Getting into a class is the harder part. haha We're really fortunate to have such good CC's in CA. I didn't know it, but according to others here on SDN, CC's in general aren't this good in other states.

Agree with this. I am also a community college transfer student. CC classes (in CA at least) are at least as tough as the classes at 4-year colleges. My performance stayed the same even after I transferred, although the class size at a 4-year will be bigger. So apart from minor adjustments (class size, lecture halls, TA's, and professor has more people at office hours due to bigger class size), you should be fine.

Now, in terms of LOR, I should probably stick to University professors, right? I have a pretty strong relationship with the Chem dept Chair here and I know relationships will be much harder to forge at the UC. But, I feel like the tried and true formula includes LORs from Univ. professors, research PIs, Doctors with whom there has been a lot of contact.

Now, in terms of LOR, I should probably stick to University professors, right? I have a pretty strong relationship with the Chem dept Chair here and I know relationships will be much harder to forge at the UC. But, I feel like the tried and true formula includes LORs from Univ. professors, research PIs, Doctors with whom there has been a lot of contact.

Tbh, yes. Any of those people you listed will be good. Though keep in mind that if you're applying to a DO school, they require a physician letter, with many requiring a DO letter. Most schools want at least one-two science professors and one non-science.

My strongest letter was from a CC professor who has been a mentor to me. Her letter was brought up in most of my interviews in a very positive manner. I'd say to worry more about the strength of your letter than where it's coming from per se.

I also transferred from a CC to a UC and I would have to say ditto to the rest of what has been said on this thread so far. I didn't change my study habits too much (I did study a little extra at first due to the fear of not doing well after transfer). In my experience, you will be the same tier student at the UC that you were at the CC. If you were top of the class at the CC, you will PROBABLY still be top tiered at the UC.

+1 for what has been said for CC students getting into medical school

Also:
My strongest letter was from a CC professor who has been a mentor to me. Her letter was brought up in most of my interviews in a very positive manner. I'd say to worry more about the strength of your letter than where it's coming from per se.

I agree with this whole heartedly.
WARNING: THIS IS ANECDOTAL EVIDENCE, PROCEED WITH CAUTION
I know someone who submitted with no university letters (only CC letters, research letter from a hospital researcher, etc.) and had a phenomenal cycle, including an offer for a full-tuition scholarship. May be the exception due to other strong parts of the application, but if your CC letters are strong then go for it.

Reactions: 1 users
Rad (I am bringing the word "rad" back by the way). That is so nice to hear. I applied for a research internship this semester and her letter of recommendation was so complementary I almost cried (almost). Thanks to all who have posted your encouragement!

I took all my pre-req's (math through calc 3, physics, english, Ochem's, intro bio and cell bio) at a CC (not in Cali). I never took any other biology class in my LIFE not even high school, just two CC classes. Ended up with 10 MD interviews without awesome stats (LizzyM 73, not URM). I really don't think many schools care, and if they do... who needs em

Edit: Oh, and I was 4.0 in all my pre-req's and remained in the top of each class at the 4 year (mid-upper tier)... didn't see much of a difference in class difficulty or expectations.

another edit: I would say one of my biggest "pre-med" regrets looking back is stressing about CC credits... everyone told me it was the wrong route, looked down upon, would hold me back. It's all garbage, don't listen to anyone who tells you that. Most of my interviews were with top 50 schools, which is good enough to get you anywhere you want in medicine so if you're at a CC, good for you. Rock it, save money, and never look back.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users