September 2015 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DAF16

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Registration for the September MCAT opens up soon, so I thought I would make the thread.
Who else will be taking the test in September?

Members don't see this ad.

I keep flip-flopping between "man, I think I got a frickin 520!!!" to "f*** there's no way I got a 500...". I don't care anymore what my score is, I just want to know what it is so I can plan the next few months of my life accordingly!!! I also still remember P/S question in my test that I guessed on, and it's easy to google the right answer, but I still haven't looked it up, because I'm too scared that I didn't guess correctly :bang:
I remember a question on the P/S section that I had marked, and I ended up changing my answer from the right one to a wrong one... Smh.

Reactions: 1 user
9/23 test taker here. I am in the same boat with all you guys. For the last few posts, can you send me your practice tests scores and why you feel like that now as time has gone by? Did you guys take NS practice Fl's an if so, what were your scores?

PS: if you have already posted this, I apologize for not noticing. Just insecure about this whole thing and just trying to get a grasp on the situation.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll put my full score here to help others! It's not as high as some of the other SDNers but I'll take it and run with it! I'm a first time test taker for what it's worth.

C/P: 123 (32%) - Yeah, kinda expected this so I'll have to work around cutoffs for apps.
CARS: 129 (93%) - SWEET!!!
B/B: 126 (67%) - Eh, ok
P/S: 127 (75%) - I seriously wanted a 129-130 on this and had a 90% on this section of the FL. I don't know what happened. I did OK.

TOTAL: 505 (68%) :claps:

My scores are all over the place lmao. It's kinda weird seeing a 93rd percentile right next to a 32nd percentile also. I probably would have done much better (507-8) if I studied C/P more (it definitely was a weak point). I wanted a higher score on P/S too because everything on my FL pointed toward a 129+.

I'm not going to retake so I'm just gonna cast my net far and wide (US DO, Carib MD) and see where it goes from here. Either way, I'm happy. Am I being too happy here? Is this score average/good? I feel so below average compared to all y'all in the 510+ club haha.

:clap:
Please, whatever you do, don't go to the Caribbean. You risk not even matching and your choices of residency will be substantially reduced. And, with the AOA/ACGME merger, it's been predicted that IMGs are going to have an even harder time matching in the US.

I suggest focusing your efforts on any of the fantastic DO schools we have in the US, barring perhaps LUCOM.

Great CARS score, btw! I got the same. It's cuz we can read good.

Reactions: 1 users
9/23 test taker here. I am in the same boat with all you guys. For the last few posts, can you send me your practice tests scores and why you feel like that now as time has gone by? Did you guys take NS practice Fl's an if so, what were your scores?

PS: if you have already posted this, I apologize for not noticing. Just insecure about this whole thing and just trying to get a grasp on the situation.
I was a 8/22 tester. My NS Dx was 494, and my three NS FLs were 500, 503 and 505, respectively. I made a 510 on the 22nd ; 126/129/127/128.

I liked NS. I felt they were representative of the real thing and their practice test system is easy to use and understand. I didn't use any of their prep material, though; just the practice exams.

I was a 8/22 tester. My NS Dx was 494, and my three NS FLs were 500, 503 and 505, respectively. I made a 510 on the 22nd ; 126/129/127/128.

I liked NS. I felt they were representative of the real thing and their practice test system is easy to use and understand. I didn't use any of their prep material, though; just the practice exams.

What number NS exams were they? Also, did you feel as time went on that you did worse and worse? Or did you feel confident as you took the actual exam that you did well?

What number NS exams were they? Also, did you feel as time went on that you did worse and worse? Or did you feel confident as you took the actual exam that you did well?
1, 2 and 3, respectively. I took them about 3 weeks apart, with mixed feelings. However, there was clear improvement as I progressed through content review and learned the test.

After test day, I didn't feel much. My feelings about exams tend to not correlate too closely with reality, as is true with most people.

You guys need to all calm down lol. If you all gave your absolute best, there's nothing to worry about. My mcat score was 6 points higher than I predicted immediately walking out of the testing center..

Just relax guys, nothing can be done at this point!

You guys need to all calm down lol. If you all gave your absolute best, there's nothing to worry about. My mcat score was 6 points higher than I predicted immediately walking out of the testing center..

Just relax guys, nothing can be done at this point!

What was your final score and did you use the NS practice Fl's?

Why does it matter? It ain't going to change your score? I'm in the same waiting game too. It sucks because I literally have no idea what to do. And I felt like **** with three sections and especially verbal because I kept looking at the time

I used Kaplan. I felt terrible and thought I got a 497. I ended up with a 503 because I completely bombed physics/chem (123). Ironically I thought that section was the easiest. What you think when you walk out of the test means nothing..

Members don't see this ad :)
The limit as t approaches 0 of Sept 23rd scores being released equals infinity. We're getting so close guys!!

Reactions: 2 users
We're like the last stragglers at the bar at the end of the night. Everyone else from our month and really the whole 2015 cycle, has gone home and we're still here, waiting, wondering if we'll be having a drink for celebration or a drink to drown the tears. Hopefully it'll be the former for all of us still hanging around on this thread.

Reactions: 12 users
As a long-time lurker, felt the need to post in this thread with my score:

Physical Science - 128
CARS - 129
Biological Sciences - 129
Psychology/Sociology - 131

Composite: 517 (96th Percentile)

*For those of you struggling, crushed by a first bad score, know that it is possible to improve. Received a 25 on my first examination after scoring a 31 on my last AAMC full length. Perseverance, discipline, and God were how I made it through.

Reactions: 2 users
Wow, I'm sorry to hear that. I hope you fix your deficits and come back stronger than ever!

As for your score - I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around the drop off. What was your AAMC FL if you don't mind me asking?

It's fine. Here is my AAMC FL
C/P 72%
CARS 58%
BB 68%
PS 78%

actual score
125/121/126/123 495
It sucks but this won't stop me! I know I can beat this test, I just got warmed up!!!

It's fine. Here is my AAMC FL
C/P 72%
CARS 58%
BB 68%
PS 78%

actual score
125/121/126/123 495
It sucks but this won't stop me! I know I can beat this test, I just got warmed up!!!

Did you happen the take the Original Guide FL? I found that to be more representative to the real MCAT. The CARS and Psyc from AAMC FL felt way too "easy".

Great CARS score, btw! I got the same. It's cuz we can read good.

I laughed a bit too hard when I read that :laugh:

I swear CARS saved me on this test. I shouldn't have neglected C/P as much as I did but what's done is done. Beyond glad I don't have to retake.

And I'm looking at DO schools for sure! I'm starting to apply right now. Is a 505 good enough for DO?

Did you happen the take the Original Guide FL? I found that to be more representative to the real MCAT. The CARS and Psyc from AAMC FL felt way too "easy".

I actually found it to be the exact opposite. Here's my assessment:

AAMC OG: (taken 2 weeks out)
C/P - medium, to somewhat difficult
CARS - way too easy
Bio - very difficult and complex, but I was able to reason my way to many correct answer
P/S - the most difficult section of the test. I had a hard time with experimental inferences and flat out didn't know some terms like token economy, etc.

AAMC FL: (taken 5 days out)
C/P - very easy. A lot of plug and chug. Could have gotten a much higher score had it not been for some silly mistakes
CARS - medium difficulty, but much harder than the OG
Bio - I thought it was easier than the OG, but my score suffered from timing issues and silly mistakes
P/S - Much easier than the OG, but I still wouldn't call it a cake walk

Most representative of the 9/23 test:
C/P - OG
CARS - AAMC FL
Bio - AAMC FL
P/S - AAMC FL

Last edited:

I swear CARS saved me on this test. I shouldn't have neglected C/P as much as I did but what's done is done. Beyond glad I don't have to retake.

And I'm looking at DO schools for sure! I'm starting to apply right now. Is a 505 good enough for DO?
Yes, so long as your GPAs are in line! I'm applying right now, as well.

If you have great extracurriculars I would apply to MD schools too with a 505. Numbers aren't everything!

After reading horror stories of 9/12 takers scoring 498 (unexpectedly) I'm starting to get really nervous. Was aiming at 510+ but I'll take 505 at this point gladly. :nailbiting: I wonder how low will my expectations fall towards 10/27?

I felt all sections except Bio were easy. Now I'm afraid this means I bombed all sections except Bio. As usual it's opposite of what you feel about the exam. :eek:

After reading horror stories of 9/12 takers scoring 498 (unexpectedly) I'm starting to get really nervous. Was aiming at 510+ but I'll take 505 at this point gladly. :nailbiting: I wonder how low will my expectations fall towards 10/27?

I felt all sections except Bio were easy. Now I'm afraid this means I bombed all sections except Bio. As usual it's opposite of what you feel about the exam. :eek:
Bio was definitely the hardest section on my exam as well. I thought the CARS and P/S sections were easy. C/P section falls in the middle. I'm exactly the same way... I am just hoping for a 505. I hope my CARS and P/S sections are high enough to bring up my Bio section!

@ncastill - live online. I took the regular online for a presumed 2015 test date; I've signed up for the advanced course for 1/23 test. The new books are arriving today.

I do believe it strongly helped me with many aspects. Plus, Kaplan has live online specialty sessions spread throughout the week. Perhaps, the other test prep companies do the same.

Someone else mentioned one size does not fit all. I agree. As such, I did purchase the TPR Psych/Soc and got 3 FL practice exams from them. Also, I did watch Khan Academy videos to shore up anything I felt I needed extra help on.

EK might have exams that are similar in nature to the real thing. What helps frame my thoughts is that by and large, everyone who took the Kaplan course (and TPR) has said they felt the real thing was easier.
Gotcha!!! I used the first version of their MCAT 2015 and I was not impressed with the practice questions. I hope they've updated them in their newest version.

Sincerely, I've looked more into the Kaplan live classed during the last two weeks (thanks to your comments and the rest of the comments in this blog) and I have changed my mind regarding their courses. I'm positively that Kaplan will be the course I sign up for.

By the way, PLEASE feel free to give me any advices regarding the course or on how to use the course to the fullest.

Thanks again and God Bless you!

@ncastill - if you indeed sign up for Kaplan, do the work. Pick and choose what works for you as there is an immense amount of material and it's easy to get lost in all of it.

For me:

1) attended the live, online classes
2) prepped for each class as best I could (I worked full time)
3) screwed up trying to do EVERYTHING :(
4) retook class when I bailed on test
5) prepped for content for each class
6) started doing the FL tests early on
7) made notes of everything I got wrong
8) got discouraged (a lot)
9) banged head on wall, went to doctor, he said stop being so hard on myself, Kaplan FL are HARD AS H#@$
10) did the AAMC OG question by question, noted everything I got wrong and why; or right and if wishy/washy, made a note to re-review
11) did the same as #10 for all q-packs
12) am doing the same now in prep for 1/23
13) watch ALL the live, special sessions: kidney, blood, etc... really great information in all of these along with .pdf handouts and rekaps; you can watch these multiple times to refine knowledge. I believe Kaplan tries to emulate these to mirror the most often tested topics on the MCAT.

As I finish a content book, it gets put away. My son gets them :) I never look back and am/will rely on FL tests, q-packs, and AAMC FL tests (real one is coming out in November.

C/P was hardest. P/S easiest. Have actually found myself praying (agnostic) as I am so close to losing all semblance of sanity.

I'm at 123 for each section with a solid 492:)
Lool My score got from a 508 to 490 within a week of taking the test when I realized how many questions I may've gotten wrong... But I scored a 504 which was within the range of my AAMC FL with the same breakdown 126 124 128 126, which I'm perfectly Okay with given that I have a 3.9 gpa and decent EC's (no research though, unfortunately)...I think I would've been ok with anything north of 500 honestly unless one of the sections was a 122 or something. My guess is, if you feel like you scored a 492, you probably scored higher than me lol

Last edited:
So I had a dream last night that I got a 501. Though I'm hoping to simply make a 500 at this point, I sure hope that it is higher than a 501! Anyone else having dreams about scores? I can't even remember how many times I have since I wrote.

So I had a dream last night that I got a 501. Though I'm hoping to simply make a 500 at this point, I sure hope that it is higher than a 501! Anyone else having dreams about scores? I can't even remember how many times I have since I wrote.

Yoooo this is weird, but I had a dream last night too that I bombed the exam with a score below 500. I'm officially panicking.

Hang in there everyone! I know things can get tough this close to your score release date but stay optimistic. Best you can do is keep yourself busy so you're not thinking about MCAT or anything like that. Everything is out your hands at this point, and in the hands of the MCAT gods.

if it makes anyone here feel better i left the exam with the impression that i bombed every section and seriously considered voiding...ended up with a 516

Reactions: 7 users
if it makes anyone here feel better i left the exam with the impression that i bombed every section and seriously considered voiding...ended up with a 516
That must be nice, I felt the same way after my exam. I am not expecting to get lucky like you did.

I am new to this site. I'm a 27 year old who is trying to jump from engineering to Medical... Does that count as untraditional?

Took my first MCAT in September 23rd, pretty sure I bombed it. My mistake was not having completed enough practice exam. I did half from Princeton review and felt like with every question I was losing more and more of my confidence so I stopped.

Anyway, I joined this forum in hopes of easing my depression when I am drowned in self doubt in my own future.

Had an annoying dream that I got 122 on CARS. I feel like this is the one section where nightmares could quite possibly become a reality. C/P, BC, and P/S on the other hand should be relatively stable if you got plenty of practice. Anyone here score in the 75-85% range of CARS on the OG and AAMC FL? What section score are you guys expecting/hoping for?

Last edited:
All I want to do is work out hard core for these next two months and be me, I haven't been me for the past two years. ..... May this weekend bring you peace before the storm or if your lucky , you'll be able to avoid it

Had an annoying dream that I got 122 on CARS. I feel like this is the one section that nightmares could quite possibly become a reality. On the other hand, C/P, BC, and P/S should be relatively stable if you got plenty of practice Anyone here score in the 75-85% range of CARS on the OG and AAMC FL? What section score are you guys expecting/hoping for?
I scores 80% on nearly both OG and the AAMC FL so I'm hoping to get something around that. Nervous to see what I get on the sciences since I wasn't too confident walking out. I've been so stressed out about my score that I'm beginning to lose sleep -_-

In my prerequisite courses like org.chem or physics - whenever i finished midterm of final - I knew with confidence that i did well and results always confirmed it. Why is that MCAT sometimes gets people to think they bombed section and they end up high scorers and vice versa?

In my prerequisite courses like org.chem or physics - whenever i finished midterm of final - I knew with confidence that i did well and results always confirmed it. Why is that MCAT sometimes gets people to think they bombed section and they end up high scorers and vice versa?

Easy, because you've never even heard of a good chunk of what you're reading or seen the answers to a majority of the questions.

On the other hand, you're a well-oiled machine leading up to your finals. A good amount of critical thinking here and there, but really no surprises.

Last edited: