September 2015 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DAF16

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Registration for the September MCAT opens up soon, so I thought I would make the thread.
Who else will be taking the test in September?

Members don't see this ad.

According to AAMC's twitter, they're not providing a set time, they will just announce it when it actually opens. I remember reading somewhere that it would be around 8 am but I guess there's really no way to tell!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm in as well. I think the July-August registration opened up between 7-8 am eastern time. Lucky for me I live in the east coast so I don't have to wake up at an ungodly hour to get a good seat. :soexcited:

I signed up for September 12th. What study materials will everyone be using? I'm still not sure which book set to buy.

Reactions: 1 user
So with the latest info on the new MCAT coverage based on what people have said about the April ones, what are all of your thoughts? How will you be studying, and what materials do you plan to use?

I signed up for September 12th. What study materials will everyone be using? I'm still not sure which book set to buy.

Wow I must have made my post just after you wrote this same question, haha.

I bought TPR books for now but I'm likely going to supplement with some other materials as well. Unfortunately there seems to not be much consensus on which materials were useful or not useful for the new MCAT.

So with the latest info on the new MCAT coverage based on what people have said about the April ones, what are all of your thoughts? How will you be studying, and what materials do you plan to use?

Right now, I'm planning to go with TBR for Bio/biochem/Chem/Orgo/Physics (minus the chapters that were taken out), Psych/sociology probably Kaplan + a lot of cross-referencing with Khan & Google, EK 101 + TPRH Verbal Workbooks for CARS. I'll probably look at the official AAMC FL right from the get go, and practice using TBR passages and TPRH science workbook. Hopefully, I can also get Kaplan/TPR/TBR/EK FLs to go through them a month or so before the test date.

Members don't see this ad :)
Here's my materials:

Content Review:
  • EK 9th Edition Full Set
    • If it's missing anything from AAMC outline, I'll refer to online content such as Khan/Bozeman Science, etc.
  • AAMC outlines
FL Tests:
  • NS FL 1-3
  • EK Test 1-3
  • AAMC MCAT2015 Sample Test
  • AAMC Practice Test 1 (If it comes out by late august/september)
Practice Passages:
  • Khan Academy (going to try to finish all of them)
  • NS Strategy and Practice for all the subjects (still unsure of this right now)
  • EK In-class exams from every chapter in 9th edition
  • AAMC online practice questions
  • AAMC question packs
CARS:
  • NS CARS Strategy and Practice
  • NS 108 passages Verbal Practice (comes out in May)
  • EK 101
  • TPRH
  • Testing Solutions (TS1-4)

September 12 as well. Haven't decided on a study plan or material yet. I didn't wake up early for registration. I don't expect registration for September to fill up as most of us are likely applying next cycle, so there's far less urgency.

September 23rd!

I took the old version January 23rd with plans to void since I didn't have enough time to study beforehand. I purchased all of the SN2ed books, so I will use those again. Reading over the April thread gave me the impression that TBR is still a great resource and also covers Biochem, with more detail than necessary. I also read someone's email response from TBR that said they'll come out with a Psych/Soc book sometime in April or May. I've emailed them and tried to reach someone over the phone with no luck. Still hoping I can snag it when it comes out though!
I'll also be using AAMC's official guide, FL practice exam, and question packs, supplemented with Khan Academy videos and passages.
Not quite sure what full length exams to purchase. Does anyone have recommendations?

From the April feedback, I've also got the impression that for the new version, we should focus on the PDF breakdown of topics covered from AAMC's website. https://www.aamc.org/students/services/343550/mcat2015.html
Each topic listed is broken down even further on Khan Academy, so make sure to glance at those so you don't miss anything. I remember someone saying there were psych questions on the April exam that weren't listed in AAMC's topics. They found out later that they were actually listed in the breakdown on Khan.

I'm really hoping that AAMC releases more FLs, since I've heard that the other FLs aren't very representative of the 2015 MCAT. (Though of course I'll still be getting other FLs, since they can't possibly hurt!)

What do you guys think about the psychology/sociology content? I've taken intro courses in both and from the AAMC breakdown it's hard to tell if the classes I took covered enough. I have a feeling I'll need to focus a lot more on specifics than my classes did originally, based on what people are saying about the April MCAT.

September 23rd!

I took the old version January 23rd with plans to void since I didn't have enough time to study beforehand. I purchased all of the SN2ed books, so I will use those again. Reading over the April thread gave me the impression that TBR is still a great resource and also covers Biochem, with more detail than necessary. I also read someone's email response from TBR that said they'll come out with a Psych/Soc book sometime in April or May. I've emailed them and tried to reach someone over the phone with no luck. Still hoping I can snag it when it comes out though!
I'll also be using AAMC's official guide, FL practice exam, and question packs, supplemented with Khan Academy videos and passages.
Not quite sure what full length exams to purchase. Does anyone have recommendations?

From the April feedback, I've also got the impression that for the new version, we should focus on the PDF breakdown of topics covered from AAMC's website. https://www.aamc.org/students/services/343550/mcat2015.html
Each topic listed is broken down even further on Khan Academy, so make sure to glance at those so you don't miss anything. I remember someone saying there were psych questions on the April exam that weren't listed in AAMC's topics. They found out later that they were actually listed in the breakdown on Khan.

I'm also thinking of using TBR because I've heard it is still good practice. If they release a Psych/Soc book then I'll be trying to snag that too. Other than that I'll use all of what the AAMC has released and Khan. Then try to get my hands on as many full lengths as possible.

Sept 23 for me too. I actually signed up a week after it opened and there were still seats!

I'm undecided on study materials. Definitely going to use Khan videos (wish I could somehow set them to keep playing and have those on in the background while doing other things like cooking/cleaning/riding the bus, etc and just absorb and reinforce).

Not sure what else. I have old TPR/TBR books and will prob use those but I need a psych/soc book and hoping to get one that may also give access to some FLs.

Will prob get the question packs and official guide from AAMC. Do they have anything else available?

Sept 23 for me too. I actually signed up a week after it opened and there were still seats!

I'm undecided on study materials. Definitely going to use Khan videos (wish I could somehow set them to keep playing and have those on in the background while doing other things like cooking/cleaning/riding the bus, etc and just absorb and reinforce).

Not sure what else. I have old TPR/TBR books and will prob use those but I need a psych/soc book and hoping to get one that may also give access to some FLs.

Will prob get the question packs and official guide from AAMC. Do they have anything else available?

I heard that TPR psych/soc was okay. I think it also comes with access to 3 FL's?
AAMC has one FL released so don't forget to include that!

Oh wow, that's great to know! That would be a great deal. Thanks for the info!

I also heard about some Kaplan flash card app. Wonder if that's any good for definitions? Haven't seen it mentioned here yet.

I did take the AAMC FL a few days ago. Reviewing it now. Def need to work on circuits, fluids and optics from chem/phys.

September 12th here. My main source will be the entirety of the EK set. I'll be also using Kaplan's Biochem book, Kaplan 528, Khan Videos, and probably TPR's biochem book.

What do you guys think about using EK Verbal 101 and TPR hyperlearning verbal workbook for CARS? I'm under the impression that CARS is not too different from the old VR and previous material should at least be helpful, especially since new prep material is futile at this time.

I might also give NS a try, but seeing that last thread about them being a copy-paste of AAMC material kind of demotivated me.

I think that using any CARS/VR practice material will work. Aside from a slight change in content of the passages, it seems like the actual "skills" required haven't changed, so any prep material should be good.

I am also a little bit skeptic about the NS materials after that last post, though I didn't read into much of what was said on the thread. Has anyone tried the half-length diagnostic from them?

I'll be using Verbal 101 and TPR hyperlearning verbal for CARS too.
I haven't tried any NS materials and I don't think I will be. I've heard the EK FL's are good so I'll be trying those out.

Just started studying this week for the Sept 23rd test. So far I'm just using the TPR 6 book set w/ FL, Khan Academy, and AAMC materials. I'm sure I'll supplement other material once I get through all of that. :confused:

I just started this week, but I'm grade replacing Ochem and doing a physics lab this summer so I'm getting a head start.

I'll prob start more intensive studying July 17 (after my summer classes end, I'm taking quantitative analysis and lab).

Until then, though, I plan to do MCAT prep light. A little bit each day, like doing some sample passages, etc. I also have my prep books at work so I may start going through the topics I know I'm most weak on that will need a little extra content review, or the material I'm the most rusty on, or that I missed on the Sample Test. So I'll prob start doing some reading on optics, fluids, circuits and a few other topics from phys/chem/bio/biochem and start reading through the psych/soc book when I have down time at work.

Right now I'm slowly going through my review of the sample test. The psych/soc section is taking forever b/c it's been a long time since I took psych and honestly either never learned half this stuff or completely forgot it. A lot of it doesn't even seem vaguely familiar.

What do you guys think about getting an old set of the EK books? I already have the new TPR set, but someone I know is selling the old EK books pretty cheap, and since I've heard they're quite good, I might get them. As far as the EK books, are there many questions/passages in the actual books? Since I'm getting them used, I'm assuming I won't be able to access any online content (if there is any?) - any ideas about that?

Last edited:
I'll prob start more intensive studying July 17 (after my summer classes end, I'm taking quantitative analysis and lab).

Until then, though, I plan to do MCAT prep light. A little bit each day, like doing some sample passages, etc. I also have my prep books at work so I may start going through the topics I know I'm most weak on that will need a little extra content review, or the material I'm the most rusty on, or that I missed on the Sample Test. So I'll prob start doing some reading on optics, fluids, circuits and a few other topics from phys/chem/bio/biochem and start reading through the psych/soc book when I have down time at work.

Right now I'm slowly going through my review of the sample test. The psych/soc section is taking forever b/c it's been a long time since I took psych and honestly either never learned half this stuff or completely forgot it. A lot of it doesn't even seem vaguely familiar.

Are you applying for the 2016 cycle, or will you applying for 2017? Looking for someone who is applying for 2016 and taking the MCAT in september too :)

Are you guys applying for the 2016 cycle, or will you applying for 2017? Looking for someone who is applying for 2016 and taking the MCAT in september too.
I havent decided if I want to apply for 2017 or 2016 now, very confused after hearing mixed reviews on taking the mcat so late etc etc. anyone on the same boat?

I'm applying for the 2017 cycle.

Based on people I've known and what I've read here, a Sept MCAT would make your app really late for this cycle.

Maybe talk to your pre-med advisor?

I would apply for the 2017 cycle. Getting into med school is hard enough as it is, you don't want something silly like a late MCAT score to weigh down on your app. But as RaspberrySlushy said, it's best to talk to an actual advisor about this!

2017 Cycle. Even if you get a great MCAT score you should still wait until next cycle. Applying early in the cycle gives you a better chance at getting an acceptance. Plus you will have some time to boost you app and make you a more desirable candidate.

How much time are you guys planning on spending on Gen Chem/Physics/Orgo? I'm figuring out my study schedule and dedicating 1 day a week for each of those subjects, but since physics and orgo will only appear in ~14/~11 questions respectively, thinking of lumping those two together in 1 day.

I think its best to gauge your skill in each area to decide how much time to dedicate to them. For me personally, I'm pretty confident in gen chem/physics/orgo, so I may end up lumping those three into one day, especially since a lot of gen chem stuff shows up in biochem as well. Bio on the other hand, I'm not so confident in, so I will probably be rationing extra time towards that. But I'd say lumping at least physics and orgo together is a good idea, since there will be so few questions. I think my time is much better spent on bio, biochem, CARS, and potentially soci/psych depending on how I feel about those as I study.