Serious question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I like my unicorn steak rare with a glitter marinade. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 5 users
I like my unicorn steak rare with a glitter marinade. :)

Or in Hawaii, as Unispam.

051710_Canned_Unicorn_Meat_t.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I eat meat. Matter of fact, I hunt. Don't see any ethical concerns with it.

Part of the reason I chose to be a food animal veterinarian is because I like the idea that not only am I helping the animal and owner but also the owners family and the people that will consume the animal/use the animal products. To me it's a bigger impact than helping fluffy and her "mom".

I eat all forms of meat except organic.
Just curious, why do you not eat organic?

I don't want to derail this thread but I believe it's unsustainable and a step back from animal welfare. And I realize that's a generalization and there are organic farms that do it right just like there are conventional that do it wrong.

Reactions: 2 users
Can't answer for her, but I went on an organic dairy tour during vet school and it really turned me off.

The overall husbandry of the animals was fine (similar to conventional dairies). But there were a few very sick calves in their pens. Like really really sick. And we were told that they were holding out on giving them optimal treatment until they were sure they're not going to get better, because it means they'd have to tag them as no longer organic and sell them. They looked like if they waited any longer they might die before they even got treatment.

Not sure how it works at all organic dairies, but I hadn't even thought of the animal Health impact of organic farming until then.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Can't answer for her, but I went on an organic dairy tour during vet school and it really turned me off.

The overall husbandry of the animals was fine (similar to conventional dairies). But there were a few very sick calves in their pens. Like really really sick. And we were told that they were holding out on giving them optimal treatment until they were sure they're not going to get better, because it means they'd have to tag them as no longer organic and sell them. They looked like if they waited any longer they might die before they even got treatment.

Not sure how it works at all organic dairies, but I hadn't even thought of the animal Health impact of organic farming until then.

Unfortunately, I have had experiences with a few organic dairies and they are all like this :(
I could go on and on about other reasons I dislike the organic dairy industry, but I will refrain for now

That's something that I never really took into consideration when thinking about organic meat. I don't know much about food animals at all. Would a severe illness affect the quality of meat?

I don't know if you work with farm animals, but if you don't, then I get why vets do eat meat.
I've actually known a lot of vets that actually felt better about eating their meat after working on farms because they fully understood the practices being employed, why they were necessary, and how overowm many of the claims in regard to factory farming are.

I've actually known a lot of vets that actually felt better about eating their meat after working on farms because they fully understood the practices being employed, why they were necessary, and how overowm many of the claims in regard to factory farming are.
That was me. I've been to farms in the area and that's made me feel okay about eating dairy and meat. I try to buy local because I know how most farmers around here treat their animals and I'm 100% okay with how those animals were raised, treated and slaughtered.

I'm a weird one - vet school definitely made me more vegetarian leaning. I still eat meat occasionally but don't usually cook it.
I'm much happier with cattle operations. The conventional pig and poultry industries I don't want to really support. They make me sad. The good thing is I live where there are enough small operations that have pork, eggs, and chicken from animals that are raised in a way that I'm more comfortable with.

I try to avoid organic, too. In the best case scenario, you're just paying extra for gimmicky marketing. And what I've learned about organic farming, both crops and animal products, would make me wary of buying it anyway even if it were cheaper.

As a student and as a guy who loves protein the good ol' fashioned way, I prefer meat in any shape or form that does not cost me a kidney. We had local farmers in CA that would sell chickens and such "to order" for customers, but that came at a cost... one that I am now unwilling to swallow whilst living on loans. Plus then you have the added concern of cleanliness and blah blah when buying local pork and other critters that like to be parasitic hosts. Prob not an issue, but hey, ain't nobody got time for cysts and larvae in unwelcome places.

In short: hurray for Costco bulk meat :horns:

It's always weird to me that some people have this vague notion that vets wouldn't eat meat. Why wouldn't we?

I think the idea is that as a veterinarian, we are supposed to have such a high level of love and compassion for animals that we would find eating them to be counter-intuitive to our purpose in life. I don't mean to say that I agree with that, but I suspect that's the idea behind it.

I personally stopped eating pork in vet school because of how much better I understood the process and the animals.

(Edited because someone else posted my comic.)

Last edited:
"No offense Doc, but I'm not sure I trust a vet that isn't a vegetarian."
This comic confuses me, because the dog isn't a vegetarian. Why would it expect a human to be? Now if they had a pig, or cow, or anything vegetarian, then it would make a bit more sense.
We don't even eat dog in this country... it just doesn't make sense to use the dog.

I'm much happier with cattle operations. The conventional pig and poultry industries I don't want to really support. They make me sad. The good thing is I live where there are enough small operations that have pork, eggs, and chicken from animals that are raised in a way that I'm more comfortable with.
I will agree that after seeing how mainstream pork is raised, I seek out small farms for pig products. I don't like how the majority of pigs are raised.

This comic confuses me, because the dog isn't a vegetarian. Why would it expect a human to be? Now if they had a pig, or cow, or anything vegetarian, then it would make a bit more sense.
We don't even eat dog in this country... it just doesn't make sense to use the dog.

The dog is an animal, which a non-vegetarian might consume. The animal's food preference doesn't factor into the equation.

@dreamadream: I am vegetarian, and I think that for me, it comes down to loving (all) animals. There are certainly other reasons as well, such as environmental concerns with large scale consumption of meat.

Dr. Goodall sums it up well for me:
"Thousands of people who say they love animals sit down once or twice a day to enjoy the flesh of creatures who have been utterly deprived of everything that could make their lives worth living and who endured the awful suffering and the terror of the abattoirs."

Last edited:
I am vegetarian, and I think that for me, it comes down to loving (all) animals. There are certainly other reasons as well, such as environmental concerns with large scale consumption of meat.

"Thousands of people who say they love animals sit down once or twice a day to enjoy the flesh of creatures who have been utterly deprived of everything that could make their lives worth living and who endured the awful suffering and the terror of the abattoirs."
see, that's the kind of rhetoric that can turn civil discussions less civil.

Reactions: 10 users
No, I think you're projecting. I used a quote to sum up my feelings about the situation. I did not attack anyone directly or indirectly, I just responded to the question (didn't read the responses) as to whether or not I eat meat and why.

No, I think you're projecting. I used a quote to sum up my feelings about the situation. I did not attack anyone directly or indirectly, I just responded to the question (didn't read the responses) as to whether or not I eat meat and why.
the quote you used is super inflammatory. Just look at the language Goodall uses. So, no, I don't think I'm projecting.

There. I've bolded all the hyperbolic language for you.

Reactions: 5 users
I understand the nature of the quote. And I stand by the fact that that is how I feel about the situation, which was an answer meant for @dreamadream.

EDIT: There. I edited the original to show that I am specifically answering his/her question.

I understand the nature of the quote. And I stand by the fact that that is how I feel about the situation, which was an answer meant for @dreamadream.
the nature of the quote is different from the wording. Using language like that is never meant to persuade the other party. It is only meant to attack. and hope you can browbeat/guilt them into submission. wouldn't it be better if everyone could use civil language and come to better compromise?

Just for the record, I don't care if you are vegetarian or not. But using inflammatory language takes it from a point of civil discussion to hostility.

I think that quote shows blatant ignorance (wilful or otherwise) of the good work done by many farmers and food animal vets, who strive to specifically avoid those circumstances.

@dreamadream: I am vegetarian, and I think that for me, it comes down to loving (all) animals. There are certainly other reasons as well, such as environmental concerns with large scale consumption of meat.

This suggests that those who do eat meat do not love animals... which is not true.

Hopefully that can show how your post is inflammatory. If you can't see that, then no one can help you realize that you are being inflammatory by stating these things.

I think that quote shows blatant ignorance (wilful or otherwise) of the good work done by many farmers and food animal vets, who strive to specifically avoid those circumstances.
There's also the anthropomorphic nature of the quote. We shouldn't presume to understand what makes life worth living for any animal. We can certainly determine joy, fear, etc and work to ensure more positive outcomes than negative.

I'm with you CynicKitten. To each their own but I personally can't separate my lifestyle & diet from my chosen profession of protecting and caring for animals.

I'm with you CynicKitten. To each their own but I personally can't separate my lifestyle & diet from my chosen profession of protecting and caring for animals.
And frankly no one is bothered by what you do or don't eat. Just to be clear, the objection to CynicKitten's post was the choice of a quote that paints omnivore animal lovers as cruel, unfeeling hypocrites.

Reactions: 6 users

Agreed. A lot of media coverage, like everything else, is sensationalist and can be incredibly false. People want to walk down to any grocery store at any second and purchase safe and quality food, whether it be sourced from an animal or not. I find it amazing that we can even do that. Our food is safe, and that's because we have systems and policies in place that work. Of course, our food system could improve, but nothing's perfect. People scream about preservatives, antibiotics, this, that, and the other, but rarely stop to consider how they'd obtain foods if we didn't utilize those things.

And naive isn't "bad"... I knew nothing of the meat or dairy industry prior to veterinary school.... I have learned a LOT since starting veterinary school... A whole lot. It is amazing how much the media portrayal of farms/farming is way off and absolutely frighteningly inaccurate and intentionally so.

And naive isn't "bad"... I knew nothing of the meat or dairy industry prior to veterinary school.... I have learned a LOT since starting veterinary school... A whole lot. It is amazing how much the media portrayal of farms/farming is way off and absolutely frighteningly inaccurate and intentionally so.

I'm most definitely not naive, but I understand how many people going into the profession may not have a well rounded view of the industry before beginning a program. This thread has proved interesting as an insight into a different side of animal medicine than I've been in. Thanks & congrats on your upcoming graduation.

something that people might want to consider. It is an integral part of vet med to understand the food industry. Most schools tour your through an abattoir - it was a major part of our grade for the rotation it was on. You will have to learn large animal/food animal medicine in order to pass the NAVLE. If that makes you uncomfortable, you might want to think about it.

Reactions: 3 users