SES Question.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Conflagration

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm not applying until next year, so no sweating about needing an answer ASAP, but I have a really odd situation.

I grew up poor, and then my parents slowly rose into better jobs as I got older. Even now, my mom still qualifies as EO1 because she doesn't have a bachelor's degree, but a really nice job. My dad is borderline- he may qualify as EO2 or he may not be either status because he's got a Bachelor's through military experience but I think his job is considered skilled labor since he is in charge of some techs, but he still gets his hands dirty (he does maintenance for a hospital and parts out work orders). But I'm not sure if that counts as an executive position or not.

I don't speak/live with them any more- I was disowned for being a lesbian (a year before I finished my Bachelor's, too). I'm probably going to apply for Medicaid while I look for work. I'll be going back in August at the latest to knock out my pre-reqs and apply.

What kind of info do I need for my parents? I may not have figures for their wages if that was needed, for example. If I couldn't provide that info, would I be disqualified from having this indicator? Or would I qualify based on my current status?

Thanks in advance for your insights!

Members don't see this ad.

As far as I can tell, these indicators are used for statistical purposes, not for admission decisions. For admission decisions, there is an optional section with your parents' names, highest degree attained. employment and so forth. If you don't want to provide the information or, in the case of income, don't have the information, I think that you can leave it blank or answer "don't know".

Having the indicator will neither help nor hurt your chances of being admitted.

Reactions: 1 user
Okay, thanks!

Because of my situation with my parents, I can't really fill out FAP. Should I try to call AMCAS about it and see what they say?

Members don't see this ad :)
FAP is about your current income. The disadvantaged status also refers to people who grew up disadvantaged, generally. If, for example, you had a disadvantaged childhood but are making $30k as a lab tech during your gap year, you will not get FAP, but can still consider yourself disadvantaged.

There is a "don't know" box on AMCAS for parental information, I think.

FAP is about your current income. The disadvantaged status also refers to people who grew up disadvantaged, generally. If, for example, you had a disadvantaged childhood but are making $30k as a lab tech during your gap year, you will not get FAP, but can still consider yourself disadvantaged.

There is a "don't know" box on AMCAS for parental information, I think.

FAP requires information about your parent's income too. I think that even if you have 0 income (like many college students, for example), but your parents make above a certain amount, you won't qualify for FAP.

I don't remember getting my parents' income for FAP, but I applied for it when I was 27. I got denied because I have a full-time job, anyway.

FAP requires your parents' income, and they don't really care if you don't have contact with your parents anymore. It's at their discretion, and that's how they happened to set the decision parameters unfortunately. You could always try to contact them to see if they'd make an exception.

FAP requires your parents' income, and they don't really care if you don't have contact with your parents anymore. It's at their discretion, and that's how they happened to set the decision parameters unfortunately. You could always try to contact them to see if they'd make an exception.

I'll definitely consider it. Looking for work and saving up for MCAT + secondaries + interview travel = :wow:

As far as I can tell, these indicators are used for statistical purposes, not for admission decisions. For admission decisions, there is an optional section with your parents' names, highest degree attained. employment and so forth. If you don't want to provide the information or, in the case of income, don't have the information, I think that you can leave it blank or answer "don't know".

Having the indicator will neither help nor hurt your chances of being admitted.

I've always wondered since I have two MD parents, I should just fill it out with their information, correct? It's not going to hurt in anyway, is it? Obviously it doesn't help, but I don't see why I'd hide it for no reason.

Having 2 MD parents won't hurt unless it raises doubts about your motivation for medicine. If there is scanty evidence that YOU want this then there can be a problem. On the other hand, it might help in that one can see that you know what the responsibilities of a career of this kind.